Confused Newbie here (Competitive TCG)

Cochi

Aspiring Trainer
Hi! i'm new around here and in the world of TCG, that's why i made the post. First thing first, let me introduce my situation:

When i was younger (base set "era") i had some friends who played pokemon with me, but then i quit. I've always liked pokemon (played almost all the games for the handhelds at least) so i though "why don't give TCG a try again?" . So, as you can see, i'm practically a NOOB and don't remember a lot of things.

In the nearby there is a place where people play competitive, so i went there and asked a few things. For what i understood, there are different "formats" and the cards rotate every year (which i find pretty sucky but...meh) To get along with the game again, i started playing TCG online (my user is K0chi btw) but i already won city championship so there is not so much to do (cuz i use the decks of the game, so in pvp i get owned with EX based decks)

The thing is i want to get introduced to the mechanics of competitive play again. There is a problem though, here in Argentina competitive TCG is pretty expensive. The people of the game center in the nearby told me that if i play competitive, i will spend lots of money, so they suggest to have in mind what kind of deck i want and then buy cards, instead of booster packs or decks (because in my country a booster is worth like....mmm 8 US dollars i think). But then here in the forums i read that Darkrai tin is a good start (or was dark explorers theme deck? i can't remember well, sorry)

Considering i can't afford to spend like 200 dollars in booster boxes or tins monthly just to pull good cards, the advice seems logical. But if you take in mind EX cards are hard to get (it seems every deck needs them for what i saw in the center or in TCGO, is like mandatory) buying them solo is expensive too.

So what's your suggestion? start with a deck/tin? which kind of deck is good for beginners? if i want to make a deck from scratch how it has to be made? EX are mandatory or it was just a coincidence that everyone play decks based on them? Is it better to wait for Pokemon X/Y and then start spending money, considering in six months probably B/W decks wont be legal anymore?

Well probably is a lot to read, and my english is pretty sucky (sorry for that u.u) but if you can help me i'll be very grateful. Thanks in advance!

I'm starting to lose track of the TCG since I've stopped playing, but I'd say its going to cost some money to make a decent deck. The EX's seem to be pretty much necessary at the moment. A few years ago, when I started, decks were relatively cheap to make.... but not anymore...

yeah that's what i've though. Is not that i don't want to spend money, is more like i'm wondering what to buy/do first, without the necessity of spending a lot monthly in things i won't end up using. As i said here TCG is more expensive (way more) than in the US and i pay for my studies too, so i want to spend money in things i know i will use, or at least that i could sell later.

I play competitively and have been working on a deck. I think that when it's possible, you should get tins for the good EX's (Darkrai would be good if you could obtain some Hydreigons)(Mewtwo is a good tin because it's one of the best EX's and can easily be put in any deck). I like to get packs, because if I pull anything I can use, then I use it, and if I don't, then I trade it for stuff that I can. In your deck, EX's are the main problem. The next is Trainers. Pokemon Catchers are HUGE right now, and can cost $10-$20 each, depending on where you buy. A lot of good Trainers should be traded for rather than bought, in my opinion, because you can trade a lot of smaller stuff for them, rather than spending a couple of bucks. If you're looking for easy and cheap-ish decks to build, I would look at anything involving Darkrai EX or Rayquaza EX. I hope you find this useful, and good luck in the TCG.

thank you! i'll see if tomorrow i buy a darkrai tin if you say so....im hearing all opinions anyway, cuz im really worried with the "rotate" issue. So if other player say "hey dude wait for X/Y so everyone start from scratch and it's easier that way" i'll hear that person too. I'm a bunch of doubts in the form of a person i think lol

I just think that if you start now, Rayquaza EX or Darkrai EX decks should be the easiest to make. Honestly, I'm not sure what the next rotation will cut out, and I think that it will keep Dragons Exalted and forward. I'd say that if you want an easy deck, and the best chance to keep it in format, you should go for Rayquaza. If you're going for an extremely good deck, go for Darkrai. Also, Cobalion EX isn't too expensive, and neither is PlasmaKlang (Cobalion is about $15-20, and PlasmaKlang is about $5). That is an EXTREMELY good deck that is almost sure to stay through the rotation.

I read plasmaklang needs tropical beach, and for what i heard that card is super expensive? im mistaken or i read well?

I would say Keldeo/Blastoise is a relatively safe deck to focus on building as the Keldeo EX was released in Boundaries Crossed pretty recently (and in a tin so it's dirt cheap) as well as the Blastoise being released in the same set (and in the theme deck), so there isn't much worry of those cards being rotated out next season (IF there's a rotation). Don't worry about obtaining Tropical Beach for the deck, as it's not 100% necessary.

Cochi said:
I read plasmaklang needs tropical beach, and for what i heard that card is super expensive? im mistaken or i read well?

I never understood what's so important about Tropical Beach. I know it's a good card and all, but $100 for a stadium? Really? My friend plays PlasmaKlang without Tropical Beach, and it's a really good deck. Like the guy above said, Keldeo-Blastoise is a good deck to build as well.

Emperor: a guy of the game center here says that the keldeo deck gets it's full potential with tropical beach, because here there are not so many people playing, so the ones that have TB end up making a BIG difference. Is there a way of getting good results without TB? the same guy says darkrai is a good option. What do you think is better?

Hegafire0: yeah, i think the same way as you. Paying so much for a card (and considring you need more than one copy) is just crazy. The thing with the world championship cards being legal bother me so much in this aspect lol

Tropical Beach (In my opinion) truly shines in the first couple turns of the game allowing you to grab resources and set up a quick Blastoise and Keldeo EX. True, it does make a difference, but just bare in mind your opponent benefits off it just as you would. The way i got around not playing Tropical Beach was just playing an additional Skyla and a Random Receiver. It's not amazing, but it does fine. Still a competitive build.

Darkrai EX is another cheap alternative deck to get started on. The most expensive card in that deck is Pokemon Catcher, but until you can get Pokemon Catcher you can use the space for cards like Bicycle and additional draw supporters to further increase your chances of setting up a turn-2 Night Spear. I only suggested Keldeo/Blastoise over Darkrai EX as it's a safe choice in terms of a starting deck as the main cards were released in November (very very very, little chance it gets rotated) One of the key cards in Darkrai EX (Energy Switch) was released back in Black & White so if it doesn't get reprinted, it loses alot of its early game pressure.

what about keldeo and pokemon catcher? the deck does not need that card? Rayeels stand for Rayquaza/Eelektrik right? how about that deck?

Rayeels is getting increasingly worse due to it being really easy to donk and there being more efficient ways to take down EX's quickly. On a note about Pokemon Catcher, no deck can be competitive without it. You can try to find ways around it, but in reality, no deck can succeed without it.

Yea the guy of the game center said that to me too. (same thing with tropical beach, he has some since he was at the world championship and ended in 9th place or so) I think ill be competitive but a bit casual too. As i said before here in my country we are not that many players....so when you don't have a decisive card, they own you easly. And here you have to pay to travel everywhere, ranking tournaments, regionals, nationals (the prices are not money either). So i want a good deck but im not so concerned about playing in the mayor leagues cuz its REALLY expensive here. What do you think Blah? Should i try keldeo without tropical beach, darkrai or other deck?

(sorry everyone if i make a lot of questions, and i'm very grateful for all your help so far)

I think that the easiest, most effective choise would be Darkrai. Keldeo is very good as well, but it's a tad bit harder to make.

Darkrai seems like the way to go. It's pretty inexpensive compared to other decks, it's not that hard to play (really difficult to build a good list for but every deck is like that), and it's extremely good.

okay, im going to start the darkrai quest then lol. I really apreciate your help, thanks to all of you guys!

Edit: i though it better and i will wait for the world championship to come. Make a solid deck takes its time, and after august a lot of cards will rotate, so probably rayeels, darkrai and a lot more will be useless without some cards. So ill be checking the expansions to come. Anyway, im glad you could help me!

I would highly highly suggest purchasing whatever cards in your anticipated Deck,online eBay or Amazon are both great places to try out, I don't know if Argentina has any specific websites for that sort of thing, but you get my point: Buying cards online is MUCH cheaper than gambling with Booster Packs.

They call them "Ultra Rare" for a reason.

Back