Chansey and Abomasnow

The Yoshi

Wumbo
113.png
465.png

As you know, because of the recent tier shifts, Chansey and Abomasnow have recently been kicked out of OU and moved down to UU. Hail is now allowed in UU, and Chansey has been named the premier special wall of UU. A few discussion questions:

• How are both Abomasnow and Chansey affecting the UU meta game at the moment?
  • What is your viewpoint on their viability in UU? Are you pleased with the tier shifts?
  • In the future, do you think PB should think about suspect tests for either of these?

Anyway, discuss!

Chansey is literally ruining the tier single-handedly. With Eviolite, Chansey has enough bulk to survive an Adamant Heracross's Close Combat. That's pretty ridiculous. Specially-based offensive teams are now null and void, as Chansey beats them 1 on 4. 80% of the tier's special attackers now have to work 5 times as hard to get a sweep in, and Stall has become the most popular playstyle. Balanced teams are where Chansey really shines though, as through Thunder Wave, it can cripple some common switch-ins (Mienshaow, for example.) and pass 350 HP Wishes off to its teammates. Chansey is definitely an extremely OP Pokémon for this tier.

Abomasnow, I'm less sure about. Hail teams were passable when you had to use Snover. They weren't the best, since Snover is really bad, and you basically had to play 5 on 6, but they were passable. Now that Abomasnow isn't a waste of a teamslot, you have 6 Pokémon to work with, which makes Hail much better, however I'm not sure if Abomasnow is good enough to be considered "broken" just yet. "Good" definitely, but "broken", I'm not sure. It's definitely a very viable Pokémon to be using, though.

In my opinion, Chansey is simply too much. It has way too much bulk and way too many good support moves. It's pretty much the only wall I know you can simply slap into any team you have without thinking. It has as much bulk as Swampert on the physical side and even more than Blissey on the special side. Now with Hail being used more often it is surely going to hate the lack of leftovers but I doubt that it affects it that much, since it has wish and softboiled to heal the damage off. What do you need to run now? Really strong physical attackers, like really strong, or a lot of taunter on your team. I can see SubSplit Chandelure being good against stall, but I cannot see how other special sweepers will be used as much as they used to be used. I mean it's not like they are made useless, but they need WAY more support now. What I dislike the most is that everyone and their Grandmother uses Stall now. Stall is a nice playing style and usually fun to play against, because you actually have to think, but it gets annoying when you see only stall teams. I never really thought about having a Pokemon explicitly for stallbreaking, I just made sure to have offensive presence and good offensive synergy, but now I need Pokemon which I wouldn't use if it weren't for all the stallteams. Crobat, Gligar and Mew are pokemon that cost me a lot of Momentum but I kinda feel like they are needed, if I want to beat a somewhat decent stallteam. Mixed Attacker are not even somewhat good against stall like they used to be, simply because of Chansey not really caring about physical hits. I mean you have Snorlax and Umbreon too, but they don't have the same bulk. Snorlax is even more bulky on the physical side if you use Max HP/Max Def, which is not even that bad considering that it's special defensive is still great, but it has rest as the only way to recover, and once it used it, it has to be in for 3 turns to be able to recover again and that makes killing it way easier. Umbreon is simply not as bulky as Chansey is and most physical attackers can 2HKO it, since it cannot afford running too many def EVs. I dislike it being UU.

As for Abomasnow, I honestly don't know what to say about it. Abomasnow isn't a bad Pokemon, but it's nothing you would consider good if it wasn't for that Ability. Hail is probably the most annoying weather since nearly everything takes damage from it, but the thing I dislike about hail the most is Walrein. But you know, snover made Walrein viable too, and I never felt like that was too much, but simply annoying. I don't think Abomasnow is broken or overcentralizing the metagame, I would not ban it at all, even tho I hate it. Snover in UU was fine, and Abomasnow is not that good as a Pokemon. With it's 50 Weaknesses and whatever. Hail is strong, but Abomasnow won't make it THAT much better.

As I said I'd definitly love to see Chansey being OU/BL and I really don't care about Abomasnow being UU or not!

Yeah, Chansey is kind of a jerk. I see her somewhat often on the ladder, but usually as part of a balanced team. Cofagrigus is a free switch every time; there is nothing they can do about it. If you're feeling particularly ballsy, you can forgo HP Fighting for Toxic and force her out.

I have seen Abomasnow twice, and one was on a full hail stall team (which included Chansey). He did nothing of consequence in either battle.

Back