'Champions Festival' Promo for Worlds 2014 [8/14]

Gotta admit, that artwork kinda makes me wish for a new Mystery Dungeon game...

LOL I kinda remember those Duck busses they had when I visited DC a long time ago.

So basically a Pokemon Center that heals 10 damage only if you have 6 Pokemon in play.

What's the set number on the card? I was expecting an XY black star number, but this appears to be something else entirely... Excuse my ignorance!

Seriously...? Seriously?!?! ._. Can't you be creative for once, TPCi?!
But oh well, another useless Worlds Promo, I guess well have to wait for next year.
inb4 some rule comes out of the blue and this card becomes extremely playable a-la Tropical Beach xD

Redstart said:
What's the set number on the card? I was expecting an XY black star number, but this appears to be something else entirely... Excuse my ignorance!

You are right about the Promo number, it does look strange. I'm guessing it's a new Promo system or a bug with the real number. The red star, though, I can't explain.

OH MAN. This time the Psyduck on the Worlds promo appears as... a vehicle. That's kind of amazing.

Actually, I'm happy the worlds promo is for the most part unplayable, and hope it will continue to stay that way. Nobody wants another situation like the one we had with beach.

EricDent said:
LOL I kinda remember those Duck busses they had when I visited DC a long time ago.

So basically a Pokemon Center that heals 10 damage only if you have 6 Pokemon in play.

but from each pokemon in play

That Psyduck boat has to be one of the greatest things I have ever seen, also like how Gogoat is just chilling cool there. I totally agree with Blah, by the way.

I'm kind of happy that it doesn't seem to be part of the official promo set. Most of the blanks in my set are these darn world ones that are extremely expensive worlds cards, and of course those that never made it out. (Looking at Pikachu, Raichu, and the two french promos).

Redstart said:

Whatever it as I'm glad I can justify not buying it now

I like the art, thats what matters, such an exclusive promo card shouldn't be actually good, it just puts a divide be the player base. no one wants to hear while building a deck "don't have $200-$300 for 2 cards? guess you don't want to win". Heck the spring fresh noob kids have it even worse, some of them like me when I was little don't have intense parent support and can barely get a normal deck together. The promo card should be a symbol of dedication and thus should be valued but not for its competitive play.

ECHOxLegend said:
I like the art, thats what matters, such an exclusive promo card shouldn't be actually good, it just puts a divide be the player base. no one wants to hear while building a deck "don't have $200-$300 for 2 cards? guess you don't want to win". Heck the spring fresh newbie kids have it even worse, some of them like me when I was little don't have intense parent support and can barely get a normal deck together. The promo card should be a symbol of dedication and thus should be valued but not for its competitive play.

There were plenty of winning decks that didn't play tropical beach

AlexanderTheAwesome said:
ECHOxLegend said:
I like the art, thats what matters, such an exclusive promo card shouldn't be actually good, it just puts a divide be the player base. no one wants to hear while building a deck "don't have $200-$300 for 2 cards? guess you don't want to win". Heck the spring fresh newbie kids have it even worse, some of them like me when I was little don't have intense parent support and can barely get a normal deck together. The promo card should be a symbol of dedication and thus should be valued but not for its competitive play.

I know as such, but the idea remains, if people want to play a certain deck , to remain on level there is this pressure in the community to say, just put in a beach or else your deck is bad. No one wants to depend on decks based around 1 or 2 technically unobtainable limited cards. TCPi creates the cards and thus the archetypes of decks that we see, yes we have rogues but those are also somewhat anticipated, we should be steering towards a meta where someone can create a competitive deck using cards they can find in a pack, not feel as though they have to subscribe to the premium or otherwise limit their options if they want to win. I mean when I first started all anyone played were darkrai and blastoise beach decks, yeah they were good but wasn't that fun, I could have my fun deck, but I also wanted to win tournament and things like that. I mean the choice isnt as limiting since I may be exaggerating a bit but from the perspective of a new player I feel like cards like beach are a barrier that don't need to be there.

RafBlast said:
I also want to know what that set number is I'm curious now.

"S14 08"?

I think that the set is "Season", but season is not a real set: so consider it the only card of a set by itself: The Season 2014 set... only we don't know what the other 7 cards are if it were to be a set... :(

^ Sadly, I won't be going to Worlds, as I don't meet the prereqs for that this year... but I most surely hope for next year!

AlexanderTheAwesome said:
ECHOxLegend said:

I've heard this arguement a lot, and I've always vehemently disagreed with it. Are there winning decks that don't play beach? Yes. But there are also many tournaments where a deck with beach is the best play, and at such tournaments, players who cannot afford or get access to beach are put at a significant disadvantage. Arguing that beach's availability and price are reasonable is essentially arguing that a player can be successful without being able to play several of the top decks each format, a presumption that is simply false.

Beach is way too good to be released at that type of quantity. Every since it was released people knew the potential. The deck that took second at world's that year(The Truth) used it. It showed how it could take a deck that sounds horrible, and make it a fine tuned machine. Also there were decks that could get around not using Beach because of there speed. Of course HGSS-on is a way better format than we have now, but I digress.

I am SO freaking happy that it's not infesting the official XY promo set. Pretty much ALL of the holes in my previous promo sets are due to Worlds cards.

Back