Cartoons - Old or New?

RE: Cartoons - Old, or New?

ShayminTails said:
I honest prefer Old Cartoons like the stuff you've seen on Disney's Afternoon Block, ABC's One Saturday Morning and Fox Kids (The OLD Fox Kids) :)

I also miss the shows Cartoon Network used to put. And they don't put Pokemon anymore in Australia.

I love The Amazing World of Gumball and Steven Universe, I like that good cartoons are starting to come back after the disaster of 2009.
As for old cartoons, I'm a sucker for Scooby Doo and Batman The Animated Series.
And of course, there's always the lovely Nu, Pogodi (which is like, Russian Tom and Jerry, but...dare I say...cuter.) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ud9sHGmVZck which is one of my favorite old cartoons. If you ever get the chance, look into Soyuzmultfilm, the animation studio, and their work from the 40s-90s. They have tons and tons of amazing animation work, and they were basically the hugest animation studio of Russia when it came to animation back then.
I'm only mentioning this because I had recently done some research on the history of animation and stumbled upon old Soviet propaganda shorts made by Soyuzmultfilm and totally fell in love with their work. They seriously have some amazing stuff, like their Snow Queen film.
I'm pretty sure this stuff counts as "old" ahaha.

I couldn't pick between the two, old and new, though. I just...love cartoons. It's like asking which parent I like better, hah.

Old for sure. Angry Beavers, Roco's Modern Life, CatDog, Doug, Hey Arnold!, Ahhhh! Real Monsters!, Rugrats, Loony Toons, Courage the Cowardly Dog.
They can't be beat.

Has anyone else seen an episode of Cow & Chicken recently? Man, that is one really weird show. I don't remember it being so weird as a kid. So very weird.

beebahboo said:
Old for sure. Angry Beavers, Roco's Modern Life, CatDog, Doug, Hey Arnold!, Ahhhh! Real Monsters!, Rugrats, Loony Toons, Courage the Cowardly Dog.
They can't be beat.

Has anyone else seen an episode of Cow & Chicken recently? Man, that is one really weird show. I don't remember it being so weird as a kid. So very weird.

I watched it yesterday. The episode with the Grizzly Beaver and Man Eating Giraffes. And Super Cow.

I actually like Cow and Chicken. To be honest, I like every old cartoon from Cartoon Network. I remember how they used to put The Land Before Time and Harry and His Bucket Full of Dinosaurs. I really loved these shows since they had dinosaurs in them, and I still watch them again. Only not how I used to. And now, Cartoon Network, for Australia, doesn't have any Pokemon (I've mentioned this for the fourth time)!

HoOhLugia said:
Sadly we don't have Boomerang on our television and so we can't watch these older shows. I love the original Ben10, and when we (my sister and I) were five years old, we bought a lot of Ben10 products. The aliens were also original too.

Off topic: You must be quite young if you were 5 when that was new.

On topic: I really wish they would. they should do something to show the older stuff, like have a late Saturday block of nothing but stuff from the 90's and earlier or something.

Axell Starr said:
HoOhLugia said:
Sadly we don't have Boomerang on our television and so we can't watch these older shows. I love the original Ben10, and when we (my sister and I) were five years old, we bought a lot of Ben10 products. The aliens were also original too.

Off topic: You must be quite young if you were 5 when that was new.

On topic: I really wish they would. they should do something to show the older stuff, like have a late Saturday block of nothing but stuff from the 90's and earlier or something.

Off topic: Yes, my sister and I are currently twelve and a half, granted that my father allows me on this site.

On topic: Another reason is that Australia receives new shows later than America. Uncle Grandpa wasn't around here when people mentioned it, only new last month.

They actually do have a program that allows you to watch older shows, but from this timeline: 2005-2011. It's called Cartoon Cartoon Show and it is also new, but unfortunately they won't put shows from 1990 and back.

On a side note, Cartoon Network actually started putting the Old Tom and Jerry shows back! Now, I can watch episodes like Cat Concerto and Catfish'In. However, I would have to miss school (I only watched it when I was sick, not that I actually do skip school in order to watch that show).

Im tied between old and new truly. I love old shows like Courage the Cowardly Dog and Hi Hi Puffy Ami Yumi and Powerpuff Girls and all kinds of those shows. As for the new, I'm super into Adventure Time (Actually a good show. Can be immature but it's overall awesome) and Pokemon and and Steven Universe and Spongebob. I love all kinds of shows but there are some I can't stand like Regular Show or those stupid new live shows on Disney Channel. I want The Repalcements back and That's So Raven!

I'd list all of the shows I like but it'd be like 50 pages. xD I'm super leniant with my shows but like I said there are some that I just cannot accept.

The old and new cartoons on CN are so greatly different, and sorta hard for me to compare them. I mean, look at Cow and Chicken, now look at Adventure Time, do you honestly think that C&C would even be a show if they pitched it today? The generation gap is very large, but I guess that's not a bad thing, it's nice to see how cartoons have changed so much, and how both styles and comedy (at least for me) can be loved. Like almost everyone in the entire world, I love Regular Show and Adventure time, I also enjoy the (sorta)new show Steven Universe. I guess the only two shows I truly dislike that are currently running on CN are Teen Titans GO and Uncle Grandpa. Teen Titans GO is a good show by all means, but it REALLY shouldn't be based off the Teen Titans at all. I'm not even comparing them to the original show, but to the actually DC hero's they're based off of. They work as characters, but not as Titans with amazing powers and good morals, they just come off as too immature for that role. My problem with Uncle Grandpa is just that none of the characters can be related to IMO. Uncle Grandpa is just randomness in the form of an old man, Belly Bag is.. I honestly don't know how to describe a character who doesn't mean much to the plot besides giving Uncle G his crazy items, Pizza Steven is one of those characters you just wish would die in a fire full of sharks and toxic gorillas, GRFT is just a flying tiger, and Mr.Guss may be the only sane one in the batch, having to deal with these people 24/7 (Yes, the only relatable character is a giant dinosaur). The art style of the show is kinda all over the place too, and not very appealing (if you didn't know, the creator of this show was also the creator of Secret Mountain Force Awesome, which had a total of about 2 episodes). I do enjoy how the show is in about 5 bits per episode, but that doesn't really make the show anymore watchable for me. Again this is all just my opinion, and if you enjoy those shows I'm glad you do. Some of my favorite older cartoons on CN would be Billy&Mandy, Dexters Lab (original and rebooted), Cow & Chicken, and KND. I can't really bash any of the old cartoons because I don't remember them well enough to point out the key flaws, I was a kid and was just watching what was on. I guess I didn't enjoy Ren & Stimpy very much, but that's all I can really think of. Besides CN I really didn't enjoy watching other cartoon channels and still really don't.

beebahboo said:

Haha, right? Edible pig ass and a prancing camp devil seemed so perfectly normal back then...

DevinTheWelf said:
The old and new cartoons on CN are so greatly different, and sorta hard for me to compare them. I mean, look at Cow and Chicken, now look at Adventure Time, do you honestly think that C&C would even be a show if they pitched it today? The generation gap is very large, but I guess that's not a bad thing, it's nice to see how cartoons have changed so much, and how both styles and comedy (at least for me) can be loved.

I feel like that's my thing with it as well. I guess looking back at it now, most of the shows back then weren't really that great and the new shows aren't too different but now that I'm older, I just find it so difficult to get into any new cartoons but I feel like growing up in general will just do that to you. When you're younger, you don't really pay attention to these kinds of things and I really take something like that for granted.

dmaster out.

RavenTT said:
What about putting back Teen Titans?

I would prefer that over Teen Titans Go!. When I was really small, I enjoyed watching Teen Titans as 'heroes', not just episodes of the group acting crazy.

^If I am wrong about Teen Titans Go!, sorry, I haven't watched it, but I've heard it isn't really professional.

Personally I find a lot of older cartoons to be overrated

I think the best animated series are shows like The Powerpuff Girls which I didn't watch as a child, but watch now on Boomerang, and also Adventure Time, the new show Steven Universe is good also.

I also watch Adult Swim, I love American Dad.

Just started watching Rick & Morty last night. It's ridiculous.
As far as new cartoons go, I definitely only like the "adult" cartoons, like Family Guy, American Dad, and now Rick & Morty, to name a few.

I can't believe in my previous post I forgot to mention Scooby-Doo, Where Are You?, and A Pup Named Scooby-Doo. I love(d) both of those.

Old FTW, hard. Cartoons like Dexter's Laboratory, Powerpuff Girls, and Johnny Bravo were priceless.

beebahboo said:
Just started watching Rick & Morty last night. It's ridiculous.
As far as new cartoons go, I definitely only like the "adult" cartoons, like Family Guy, American Dad, and now Rick & Morty, to name a few.

I can't believe in my previous post I forgot to mention Scooby-Doo, Where Are You?, and A Pup Named Scooby-Doo. I love(d) both of those.

Rick & Morty is definitely one of the better new cartoons. Hopefully Adult Swim starts to put out more shows of the same comedic level (Don't really care about if it looks nice or not, as Rick & Morty shows that it's not a huge need to make a show amazing as long it's clever and funny as hell).

Personally, I like old and classic (or retro style, whichever you prefer to call them) cartoons much better than new ones due to the fact that I grew up with them (mostly Looney Tunes and a fairly large majority of Hannah-Barbera), but there is a pretty small handful that I like such as Adventure Time and Uncle Grandpa.

Animation was much more fluid and impressive with older cartoons such as Tom and Jerry, but new cartoons are focusing more on character development and telling actual stories. The most recent Scooby Doo (Mystery Incorporated) surprised me with its underlying story, and that finale was incredible. Adventure Time's subtle hints at its dark origins are very good worldbuilding, which later became the topic of entire episodes (Simon and Marcy, for example). Gravity Falls is really good, again because of its underlying story. It's a shame Disney hates GF so much and is now shoving it to Disney XD, the place cartoons go to die.

Why choose. There is a lot of bad old cartoons, and a lot of bad new cartoons. I want to watch the best shows.

The one show I really liked on CN was young Justices it had great art and great story it was the closes thing the justice league to me. Agree better art but also better story or funny something.

Back