Discussion Cards to pick up with potential

Lewcurio

Aspiring Trainer
With the announcement of the not-yet leaked [Y] Alolan Ninetales GX, do you guys think [W] Alolan Ninetales GX may see a rise in price, like Lycanroc GX did with the format shifting towards it's viability?

Even if not, what cards do you guys seeing having potential that just don't pair with "that" card yet?

That ability of Alolan Ninetales is certainly captivating. The ability to get any 2 item cards you want simply by evolving it (let's be clear, that's stupidly easy to do just like Zoroark) does look like it has the potential to increase the consistency of most decks. Grab your rare candies to immediatley get your stage 2's out (and you're probably using GRI Alolan Vulpix for it's Beacon attack so getting the pokemon into your hand, esspecially without N in the format since it'll be rotated by this point, should be pretty easy), you can also it to grab poké balls to get specific pokemon in your hand, tech in a friend ball or lure ball for specific scenarios, enhanced hammers if you need energy denial, beast ring, actually, to get it the turn you need it, maybe even devolution spray if you have another Alolan Vulpix on the board so that when you evolve again you grab a total of 3 items (item 1 and devo spray from the first search and items 2 and 3 for the second one). An Ultra Ball or a Mysterious Treasure can grab a Tapu Lele to get a supporter and refresh your hand or get a Guzma the turn you need it. The versatility it has on it's ability, regardless if the attack / gx attack sucks or not, seems pretty good if your deck is devoted to using it.

If we're talking price, that can very well depend on what the metagame looks like in the future, what decks and what types are typically used. I think the new promo Solgaleo-GX coming out next October will be around by the time this Alolan Ninetales will come out, which means I can take a free two prizes simply by attaching a DCE to Solgaleo and bring it up to the active using Guzma. Scenarios like that can greatly change it's playability. I don't think it'll be anything like Tapu Lele, it might as well reach the same price as Zoroark if what I exaggerate about it's consistency becomes true, maybe a little higher if it's not coming out as a promo. Then again, it's a one-time use ability unless you actually use Devolution Spray so that matters as well.

Oh, just now read you we're talking about the water alolan ninetales going up in price :p Well it can use that card much more easily since it already runs Alolan Vulpix, but I think that can depend on the Fairy Alolan Ninetale's attacks and if Fairy Alolan Ninetales will be better in other decks. I'd say a maybe, more like a 50-50 chance that it'll go up in price, probably only like a couple of bucks higher.

I've gotta admit, didn't think about the utility aspects of 90% of the things you listed. I think it's fair to say that when [Y] Ninetales is released, [W] Ninetales may end up going $1-2 up in price, but [Y] Ninetales will likely be the more expensive of the two upon release especially if cost of attack is DCE variation. Regardless, your point still stands about Solgaleo-GX and both will be weak to it.

Empoleon is a card that fits in this category. It's a little clunky and requiring 2 attachments is annoying. Also, if we're talking Gxs; I think Lurantis GX and Noivern fit here.

Empoleon is a card that fits in this category. It's a little clunky and requiring 2 attachments is annoying. Also, if we're talking Gxs; I think Lurantis GX and Noivern fit here.

Why Empoleon?

Could definitely see Lurantis as a potentially really helpful card, don't think Item lock has had a great place in the game since Toads.

Empoleon is a good / decent rogue pick for standard so far, but I still don't think it'll be worth much. Greninja despite it's popularity to this day is still less than a dollar and Empoleon has been printed technically twice, the second time being the metal Empoleon from FOL.

Back