Card Rating: Raticate (PA-29/99)

Soul

Urusai Urusai Urusai
Raticate (PA-29/99)

29-raticate.jpg

Hello and welcome to my second card rating, I guess I'm going to write one each day. This time I'm talking about Raticate from the new set Platinum: Arceus. Like yesterday it's the number 29 of the set. I think Raticate has a big potential to find his way as a tech in many decks since it only needs colorless energy to attack. Also he's a colorless type, so you can abuse Flygon's, Garchomp's and Salamence's weakness to dish out some extra damage. Pretty usefull since Flygon is already pretty popular and Salamence will be for sure. Raticate is a stage 1, so it doesn't need much space in your deck and you won't have much throuble with getting it out. Sadly it has only 70HP so it's like breakfast for almost every Pokémon in the current metagame, Luxray GL Lv.X, Absol G Lv.X or Blaziken FB Lv.X and many others all hit for 60-80 damage for two energies (Or one with Energy Gain) and can use Crobat G to finish the job. So be sure that Raticate is only a tech and not your main hitter, excluding in 'Raticate Toybox', I like to call it. His free retreat is great so you can just retreat him after his job is done. Both attacks are charged up with just one energy, that's really amazing. It'd be even more if Raticate could abuse Energy Gain. His first attack 'Recruit' let you look at your opponent's hand and copy one supporter card you find there, can be usefull in early game situations when they search Supporter cards with Cyrus' Conspiracy so you can simply copy them to get some more cards in your hand. Now we come to his second attack, the main point why I think Raticate is so good, it's called Extend Fang and does 20 damage. Not that good, huh? Well you'll gain an extra 40 damage if Raticate has a Pokémon-Tool card attached to it. Nothing's easier than that, you can simply search your deck for an Unown G and attach it, but if you want it really tight go for Expert Belt for another damage boost. Now you'll do 80 damage for one energy, pretty similar to Scizor from yesterday. Paired with Raticate's colorless type you can score a high damage on Flygon and Salamence up to a one hit knock out if you have Lucario GL or Lake Boundary. For a tech that comes out in one turn, it's pretty good..I guess. Raticate has a +20 fighting weakness, nothing too bad since with his low HP it'll gain a OHKO either. Another weak point about him may be his pre evolution, Rattata only has 30HP, you may know that problem if you're a Gyarados player. So be sure to have some Call Energies to prevent getting donked. Being able to deal out a high damage for low energy and OHKO'ing two of the most popular decks is great so I'll give Raticate 7,5 out of 10 points, since it's easy KO'able and if you attach Expert Belt to him (Which you need to score OHKO'es) your opponent will get two prizes just for killing a Raticate. Again, please comment and post your own opinion about Raticate. Thanks for reading!

As with scizor, so-so. Most decks don't want to have a stage 1 pokemon that uses an attack. Even if Raticate gets A KO, by the time you get a stage 1 tech with a tool and an energy out, your opponent should be able to KO you right back. Other than in pre-releases, this isn't worth the paper-board it was printed on.

There are much better counters to Flygon and Salamence out there. It's called playing your deck. ;p This is too frail to actually do something against all the other decks in the metagame.

dmaster out.

this could be fun with unown E+SSU+pluspower to get 2KO's. but it would just be a kingdra with 50 less HP...

Raticate donk, are you kidding me? This is the new Machamp ery one! Lol. No, it would make a fun BR deck or a League deck if you dont care about losing, like 4-4 Raticate, 4 Plus power, 4 Expert belt, 4 DPS girl. Lol.

I don't know why people only look at the second attack... it's not really that great.

The first attack on the other hand I think is amazing. One energy lets look at you opponent's hand, disrupt by getting rid of a supporter, and use a supporter yourself.

Are you guys kidding me? =0
Raticate Toybox is great, even if it's more a rogue deck I created xD

Have fun with your bad EX card. 60 for 1 is nice. However, this thing is very very frail, if it has expert belt, it has possibly some of the worst stats in the game to give up two prizes. Salamence runs all over you, even without setting of the body.

This card just spams the term riDONKulous. Basically, if you don't go first in the game you will have a very hard chance of winning. Rattata only has 30HP, and if you keep the game going on too long you'll suffer into 70-90HP problems, and if Expert Belt is attached that will backfire a lot. If you do go first, however, then you have plenty of high and fast damage methods. So Raticate really is a very fun deck to play, but just remember: It's pretty much you go first, you have a very poor chance of victory (unless your opponent gets a horribad start.)

buffer piece will help keep him around a little bit longer, as long as he is not looking at a Sally Lv X or Flygon Lv X. I am intrigued by this Pokemon though. Don't dis the rat too soon.

Man this rat will get PWn'ed by machamp what is it 2 heads? Because even with expert belt its still just 1 pluspower.

The first attack is truly the most interesting one here... I'm considering using this in my trash-your-entire-setup absol G spam deck. Hitting an opponent's supporter very early game can be really painful!

Back