BW Threat List

bacon

!!!!!

The BW Threat List

The OU metagame is full of powerful offensive and defensive threats that all players should take into account when team building if they wish to consistently win. In Black & White knowledge of the current metagame is just as important an element to success than ever, and any properly constructed team should have a way of addressing the majority of deadly Pokemon in OU.

With this in mind, it seems useful to have some sort of reference guide that contains a very brief analysis of each commonly seen Pokemon, listing what it is capable of and what players are in for when they come up against it. This will be a guide powered by submissions from the community, and a guide useful (I hope) to all OU players. If the time comes, we will also expand into other tiers, although I don't think our player base is large enough to handle that just yet.

Each summary should contain at least the following information:
  • The Pokemon's base stats and typing.
  • The Pokemon's more commonly seen attacks and movesets.
  • What role the Pokemon commonly occupies in a team and why it is a threat.

Pointers on writing a submission:
  • Keep it concise! If I can remove a phrase or sentence from your submission and keep the overall content the same, then it shouldn't be there.
  • Post relevant information only. It's not important that Gengar can learn Energy Ball because it almost never uses it. Check out the Smogon articles for an overview of what's hot and what's not if you're unsure.
  • In true PokeBeach fashion, I'll be pretty anal about spelling and grammar. But I don't consider it as important as the actual content. A spell-check in Microsoft Word should just about do.

Please keep a consistent format! If you submit anything, make sure to keep it short and sweet, no waffle. Below are a few examples to get things going.

Offensive Threats

Breloom
Type: Grass/Fighting
Stats: 60/130/80/60/60/70

Breloom returns as one of the deadliest sleep-inducers of the 5th generation with its arsenal of Spore, Focus Punch, and Seed Bomb. Sets usually involve Breloom using Substitute to allow Focus Punch to repeatedly pummel the foe while Toxic Orb and Poison Heal replenish its health rapidly. Gliscor is the primary counter to this set, however Celebi can function well against Breloom if Sleep Clause has been activated already. The new sleep mechanics combined with coverage moves like Stone Edge, Mach Punch, and Facade give Breloom plenty to work with. Leech Seed gives Breloom even more momentum-shifting ability and even allow Breloom to tank some enemies while using its massive Attack to clean up the opposing team.

Celebi
Type: Grass/Psychic
Stats: 100/100/100/100/100/100

Celebi is a unique bulky offense asset as it can easily take numerous hits and Recover the damage while setting up with Nasty Plot, Calm Mind, or Swords Dance. It can Baton Pass boosts while setting up on common Pokemon such as Rotom-W or use moves such as Giga Drain, Earth Power, Psychic, and Leaf Storm to dish out pain. Celebi's balanced stat spread makes it extremely versatile however Pokemon like Chansey and many Dragon-type Pokemon easily counter it. Natural Cure removes Celebi's fear of status which adds to its usefulness, though Toxic Spikes still cripple its effectiveness. Celebi is nearly always used with a Life Orb or Leftovers however the rare Choice Scarf/Specs set may be seen.

Conkeldurr
Type: Fighting
Stats: 105/140/95/55/65/45

With a monstrous base 140 Attack stat, Conkeldurr shows that you don't need speed to be an offensive powerhouse. Backed by respectable HP and Defense stats, Conkeldurr makes use of its bulk and small-but-effective movepool to put a dent in nearly any Pokemon that takes a hit from it. The Bulk Up set is most commonly seen, utilizing Mach Punch, Drain Punch, and Payback as the offensive moves, with Stone Edge as a substitute for Payback in some cases. A Choice Band set can be effective as well, allowing Conk to smack around nearly any Pokemon that switches into it.

Infernape
Type: Fire/Fighting
Stats: 76/104/71/104/71/108

Infernape is one of the most dangerous Pokemon in OU due to its unpredictable movepool and great stat spread. Fire and Fighting STAB is resisted only by Dragonite, the Lati twins, Jellicent, Tentacruel, and Gyarados. Due to its stat spread, Infernape can go mixed to break through most dedicated walls. Infernape's movepool is very wide with attacking moves such as Fire Blast, Close Combat, U-turn, Stone Edge, Grass Knot, and Mach Punch, while Infernape even has some supporting moves such as Encore and Stealth Rock. Infernape's movepool is further complimented by boosting moves in the form of Nasty Plot and Swords Dance.

Latias
Type: Dragon/Psychic
Stats: 80/80/90/110/130/110

Latias plays a niche part as she is outclassed by her male counterpart from a purely offensive perspective. The ability to sponge common Water, Fire, Grass, and Electric-type attacks from her base 130 Special Defense allow Latias to easily set up Calm Minds. Generally one coverage move is used alongside Dragon Pulse such as Hidden Power Fire or Surf, while Recover is ever-present. Options such as Refresh, Roar, Reflect Type, and Substitute let Latias overcome many of her common checks and easily check opposing Calm Mind sweepers. Choice Specs sets are generally outclassed, however Latias can easily come in on a plethora of Pokemon and soften up the opposing team.

Magnezone
70/70/115/130/90/60

Magnezone's Magnet Pull ability allows it to trap and eliminate most Steel types unable to hit it Super Effectively. The giant magnet can pull off 2 viable sets. A Charge Beam and Substitute set can be used to boost Magnezone's special attack against helpless Steel types, and then hit the opponent's next Pokemon for massive damage as it tries to break Magnezone's Substitute. A Scarf set is also viable. Not only will Magnezone trap and KO your standard Steel types (and OHKO Offensive Scizor outside of Rain), but he can serve as a valuable revenge killer and late game sweeper. Magnezone also prospers with Rain support. While HP Fire is weakened, Magnezone can reliably use Thunder, which provides a noticeable boost in power and 30% paralysis rate.

Mamoswine
Type: Ice/Ground
110/130/80/70/60/80

With the coming of generation 5, Mamoswine finally received some usable Ice-type STAB in the form of Icicle Crash (although Ice Shard is still an excellent choice for priority purposes). This and Earthquake provide solid offensive synergy, allowing Mamoswine to hit a plethora of Pokemon at least neutrally for big damage. Stone Edge hits things like Gyarados that take neutral damage from Ice and Ground. Mamoswine makes a fine user of Choice Band or Scarf, augmenting his already fearsome Attack and middling Speed. It can also take a lead role using Endeavor and Ice Shard to all but guarantee the removal of a Pokemon, and use Stealth Rock to provide team support.

Reuniclus
Type: Psychic
Stats: 110/65/75/125/85/30

A very bulky special attacker not burdened by residual or recoil damage thanks to the fantastic Magic Guard ability. Calm Mind and Recover are often used to power through the opposition, and Reuniclus boasts an advantage over other boosting sweepers by being effectively immune to Poison and Burn status. Reuniclus can also use Trick Room to outspeed virtually all of OU and sweep through more offensive teams unable to tank its attacks. Its rather shallow offensive movepool includes Psyshock, Psychic, Focus Blast, Shadow Ball and Thunder.

More information on Reuniclus!

Rotom-W
Type: Electric/Water
Stats: 50/65/107/105/107/86

Rotom-W is a jack of all trades able to fit into nearly all teams thanks to its balanced stats and fantastic typing. While its offensive movepool is limited, it does get all it needs. Volt Switch to act as one of the best scouters in the game (which is often paired with Scizor), while Hydro Pump and Thunderbolt offer reliable STAB attacks with Hidden Power offering additional coverage. Choice sets also have access to Trick to disable other Pokemon and Pain Split and Will-O-Wisp make excellent additions to defensive and long-lasting sets.

Scizor
Type: Bug/Steel
Stats: 70/130/100/55/80/65

Scizor acted as the premier scout and revenge killer for the 4th generation, and this role hasn't really changed. Access to STAB boosted Bullet Punch with Technician allows Scizor to keep many top sweepers in check, while U-turn is used to hit hard and retain momentum. Scizor often uses Choice Band to hit hard and fast, but Swords Dance variants are rather common as well. Scizor's offensive movepool consists of Bullet Punch, U-turn, Bug Bite, Superpower, Pursuit, Quick Attack, and Swords Dance. It can also run more bulky sets with Roost, and use Baton Pass to support its teammates.

Snorlax
Type: Normal
Stats: 160/110/65/65/110/30

For four generations, Snorlax was one of the four pokemon to have always been in the OU tier. Unfortunately Snorlax fell back into the realm of UU, but this doesn't mean Snorlax can't still be used effectively in OU. When you take a look at Snorlax's stats, they scream for a Curse set. A powerful Curse set isn't all that Snorlax can do though. Slap a Choice Band on the behemoth and you've got your opponent in a world of hurt if they happen to be lacking Steel-types or Ghost-types. Even then, Snorlax has access to moves such as Earthquake, Fire Punch, Crunch, and Pursuit which can very well handle some of the top-tier Pokemon.

Starmie
Type: Water/Psychic
Stats: 60/75/85/100/85/115

An impressive 115 base speed allows Starmie to outrun the majority of OU. This high speed, along with reasonable Special Attack, BoltBeam and Water-type STAB (offering nearly flawless coverage) makes Starmie a deadly late game sweeper after opponents have been weakened. Starmie's ability to use Rapid Spin makes it a valuable partner to Pokemon who fear entry hazards like Dragonite and Volcarona. Natural Cure allows Starmie to rid itself of crippling status whenever it switches out, ensuring that Starmie will always be an annoyance. Despite its frailty, Recover keeps the Mysterious Pokemon around for a while.

Terrakion
Type: Rock/Fighting
Stats: 91/129/90/72/90/108

Extreme offensive stats and a nearly flawless STAB combination make Terrakion a Pokemon to be afraid of. It will often run Swords Dance and Rock Polish in conjunction to sweep through all manner of teams, but Terrakion is also an excellent wielder of Choice Band and Choice Scarf. Close Combat and Stone Edge are mandatory on all Terrakion sets, and may be accompanied by attacks such as X-scissor, Quick Attack and Earthquake for additional coverage and utility.

Defensive Threats

Abomasnow
Type: Grass/Ice
Stats: 90/92/75/92/85/60

Why use Abomasnow? Snow Warning. Easily one of the greatest abilities to come out of Generation 4, Abomasnow is the only fully-evolved Auto-hailer in the entire game. In OU, Abomasnow can come in on the likes of Politoed, Hippowdon, and some Tyranitar and change the weather of the game in his or her favor. In OU, one of Abomasnow's arguably best sets the Choice Scarf set. Coming in on a Politoed's Scald or a Hippowdon's Earthquake is going to leave both Pokemon running from either of Abomasnow's Stab 120 Base power moves, Wood Hammer and Blizzard respectively. Abomasnow also has the ability to run one of the most annoying set in existance, Sub-Seed. Throw in Toxic Spikes and Stall Abomasnow will very likely become a pokemon your opponent will look out for in the near future.

Blissey
Type: Normal
Stats: 255/10/10/75/135/55

Blissey has been keeping special attackers in check since the 2nd generation thanks to her obscene bulk and expansive support movepool. With Natural Cure removing debilitating status and two excellent recovery options in Solfboiled and Wish, she can be a very stubborn Pokemon to remove. She often provides team support through moves such as Aromatherapy, Stealth Rock and Wish, which will fully restore the HP of most recipients due to Blissey's record breaking HP stat. While Blissey has little offensive presense outside of Calm Mind, she can use Fire Blast to catch out Scizor, or will otherwise stall out opponents through Seismic Toss, Toxic, and Thunder Wave.

Forretress
Type: Steel/Bug
Stats: 75/90/140/60/60/40

Forretress is a very utility based Pokemon who earns its spot on a team by being able to set down all kinds of entry hazards, as well as being able to remove any through Rapid Spin. A useful typing and high defense stat provide Forretress with many oppurtunities to switch in and provide support. Forretress can use Gyro Ball or Payback to deal direct damage, and will often use Volt Switch to escape the clutches of Magnezone as well as slightly dent incoming Jellicent hoping to block a Rapid Spin. It can also use Pain Split as a means to preserve its HP and passively damage opponents.

Gastrodon
Type: Water/Ground
Stats: 111/83/68/92/82/39

Gastrodon walks into B/W OU with a bit of a swagger, with some new toys that make it all the more threatening. Storm Drain now provides Gastrodon with both a Water immunity and a means of boosting its mediocre Special Attack, which is complemented by impressive coverage in the way of Ice Beam, Scald, and Earth Power. Most people choose Gastrodon due to its ability to tank hits and wall many common Pokemon in OU, such as Heatran, Politoed, Rotom-W, and Offensive Gliscor, and entire Rain Teams can have problems with it. Gastrodon often plays a defensive role, reliably spreading Toxic, increasing its longevity with Recover, and perhaps even boosting its defences with Stockpile.

Gliscor
Type: Flying/Ground
Stats: 75/95/125/45/75/95

In the transition to Generation V, Gliscor received a great ability: Poison Heal. This new ability allows Gliscor to recover 1/4th of its HP every other turn with Protect, so it no longer needs to use rest in order to survive. Taunt and Substitute are two more great defensive options. Taunt allows Gliscor to shut down phazers or hazards, while Sub alongside Poison Heal can let you stall out a wide array of pokemon. A massive base 125 Defense allows Gliscor to handle many physical threats, like Scizor or Conkeldurr. Gliscor can gladly abuse Swords Dance, as it has a ton of chances to set up with its many resistances, two immunities, no fear of status (thanks to poison heal), and only 2 weaknesses. Earthquake and Ice Fang will provide great type coverage, Taunt can be used to turn pokemon like Ferrothorn into setup bait, while Facade can be used to surprise pokemon like Wash Rotom.

Slowbro
Stats: 95/75/110/100/180/30

Slowbro finds itself in the UU tier once again this gen, but is actually a prominent physical tank in the OU metagame. This is thanks to Slowbro's excellent movepool and typing, not to mention it's new ability Regenerator which allows it to recover 1/3 of it's total HP whenever it's sent out. Slowbro functions well because it has all of the necessary tools required for a tank: reliable recovery (Slack Off), the ability to cause status conditions (Scald/Toxic), and some offensive presence in a battle (dual STAB Scald and Psychic), especially with sets that abuse Calm Mind to create a mixed physical and special wall.

Tyranitar
Type: Rock/Dark
100/134/110/95/100/61

Tyranitar is an all-around great Pokemon in the OU metagame due to its excellent stat distribution and the ability to automatically summon Sandstorm. With that sandstorm comes a 50% boost to Special Defense of all Rock-type Pokemon, including Tyranitar. With this, Tyranitar can easily absorb Special Attacks (barring Fighting-type ones) and has a deep enough movepool and high enough offensive stats to hit hard back with moves such as Crunch, Stone Edge, Flamethrower, Ice Beam, and Pursuit, and uses Stealth Rock to support its team. Most commonly, Tyranitar carries Leftovers, but is also a dangerous wielder of Choice Scarf and Choice Band.

Reservations

[mod]TDL[/mod]: Dragonite, Infernape, Ferrothorn, Haxorus, and Latios.
[member]ISB[/member]: Jirachi
[member]Hatman[/member]: Toxicroak, Virizion, and Mienshao
[mod]Daft Punk[/mod]: Salamence
[member]Peachy[/member]: Vaporeon
[member]Bravo[/member]: Snorlax, Abomasnow, Gengar, and Porygon 2
[member]Chillarmy[/member]: Hitmontop and Magnezone

Contributors

[mod]bacon-boy[/mod]
[mod]Daft Punk[/mod]
[smod]Pride[/smod]
[mod]TDL[/mod]
[mod]Teapot[/mod]
[member]Chillarmy[/member]
[member]Peachy[/member]
[member]Hot N' Spicy[/member]
[member]47bennyg[/member]
[smod]PMJ[/smod]
[member]Bravo[/member]

Your name here...? : )

Reserving ...

Dragonite, Infernape, Ferrothorn, Haxorus, and Latios.

I think I should add that Pokemon such as Dragonite are probably deserving of both offensive and defensive listings. This probably won't come up much, so I'll just mention it when the time comes if we have any more Pokemon like that.

EDIT: Jirachi too. Typical Iron Head/Body Slam/Wish/Filler set is defensive, Calm Mind sets are offensive. I'll just call Choice Scarf offensive too for the sake of it.

EDIT 2: Also just want to say that it's cool if you reserve something and I'm not going to force a rigid system upon anyone to organise them, but if you hang onto your reservation for too long and I don't think you'll get it done any time soon, I will probably pass it on to other people.

I'll go ahead and reserve Conkeldurr, Jellicent, Slowbro, and Volcarona, most likely submitting them one at a time. Thanks.

This is my first time doing this sort of thing, but I think my submission will be fine. I'd like to reserve Hydreigon if that's alright. I'll post after I finish my homework.

Just for clarification, this is OU threats only, yes?

And if not, I assume you'll be categorizing?

JaySee said:
Just for clarification, this is OU threats only, yes?

And if not, I assume you'll be categorizing?

If the time comes, we will also expand into other tiers, although I don't think our player base is large enough to handle that just yet.

So yes, only OU for now.

For these guides are we making them into a thread or wut? I'd also like to reserve Skarmory when I get more info on this.

P.S. 700th post ;D

This is the thread, I'm not sure I understand your question. Submissions are pretty much what you see in the OP, just a paragraph.

Virizion is already reserved but feel free to take Skarm

Added Slowbro and mah boi Conk to the OP. Here they are:

Conkeldurr
Stats: 105/140/95/55/65/45

Conkeldurr is a new Pokemon introduced in Generation Five, and it is one that every battler should be afraid of. With a monstrous base 140 Attack stat, Conkeldurr shows that you don't need speed to be an offensive Powerhouse. Backed by respectable HP and Defense stats, Conkeldurr makes use of it's bulk and small-but-effective movepool to put a dent in nearly any Pokemon that takes a hit from it. A Bulk Up set is most common, utilizing Mach Punch, Drain Punch, and Payback as the offensive moves, with Stone Edge as a substitute for payback in some cases. A Choice Band set can be effective as well, allowing Conk to smack around nearly any Pokemon that switches into, even ones that resist it.

Slowbro
Stats: 95/75/110/100/180/30

Slowbro finds itself in the UU tier once again this gen, but is actually a prominent physical tank in the OU metagame. This is thanks due to Slowbro's excellent movepool and typing, not to mention it's new ability, Regenerator, which allows him to recover 1/3 of it's total HP whenever it's sent out. Slowbro functions well because it has all of the necessary tools a wall/tank needs: reliable recovery (Slack Off), the ability to cause status conditions (Scald/Toxic), and some offensive presence in a battle (dual STAB Scald and Psychic), especially with sets that abuse Calm Mind to create a near-invincible physical and special wall. This makes Slowbro a useful Pokemon to use, and an annoying threat to face.

Okay, so here's Hydreigon:
635.gif

Hydreigon
Type: Dark/Dragon
Stats: 92/105/90/125/90/98
This monster has a nice Atk stat and an even better SpA stat. It has decent bulk, a great movepool, decent speed, and is immune to two types thanks to its ability Levitate. Hydreigon can utilize a Life Orb, which makes it a formidable Special Attacker and has access to Taunt, which would totally prevent Blissey from walling. Also, Hydreigon can be seen as a revenge killer by making use of a Choice Scarf and sometimes Choice Specs. Hydreigon can run U-Turn which really sets it aside from other choiced dragons like Latios/Latias, along with having access to Focus Blast and Fire Blast/Flamethrower. Furthermore, Hydreigon isn't weak to Pursuit and is bulkier. Typical movesets may include moves such as Dark Pulse, Draco Meteor/Dragon Pulse, U-Turn, Focus Blast, Fire Blast/Flamethrower, Surf, Taunt, or Earth Power.
Edited

Looking good, but be careful about waffle. If I can remove a sentence and keep the overall content the same, then that sentence shouldn't be there (such as your first two). I won't accept it as it is currently because I think it can flow more nicely, and you need to mention Hydreigon's ability to run Life Orb and Taunt, as well as what differentiates it from other special attacking Dragons such as Latios (More bulk, access to Fire Blast and Focus Blast, lack of Pursuit weakness, U-turn is something most other Choiced Dragons don't have, etc).

I don't mean to discourage anyone, as being concise and short when there is so much to say is a difficult task. But we also want this to be a top quality project, so I have to be a bit picky about what goes up.

Toxicroak:
Toxicroak
Type: Poison/Fighting
Stats: 83/106/65/86/65/85

Seeing little use in 4th Gen due to its mediocre speed and attack stats, now has jumped up to low-OU due to the new rise of Rain teams. Being able to use and abuse its Dry Skin ability with Black Sludge every turn, behind a Substitute this Pokemon is annoying to take out. With a Bulk Up set being the normal, to improve its horrible defenses, it can also run a Swords Dance set to get a faster boost behind the Sub. Drain Punch helps to heal it, and Sucker Punch gives it priority. While Ice Punch and Cross Chop can be seen, they aren't as common.

Looks good in terms of content, but be careful about where you place certain words. Some sentences don't seem to make sense. I don't believe Bulk Up is more common than Swords Dance, it's the other way around.

Mienshao:
Mienshao
Stats: 65/125/60/95/60/105

With its Regenerator ability, Mienshao makes a great U-Turn scouter and lead. With Fake Out it can buy a turn of Toxic buildup, or just do that little amount of damage needed to knock something out. High Jump Kick is the main highlight of the set, and with a 125 base attack and 130 power move, thats nothing to scoff at. And even if they whiff a HJK, they can still easily recover off with Regenerator switching. In the final slot, expect to see Stone Edge, but some can carry a suprise HP Ice for Gliscor and the like. Taunt is also a less commonly used option, able to shut down walls, but most walls are scared out by HJK in the first place.

Content is good again, but wording is unclear in some areas and in general can be rephrased to flow better. Avoid using abbreviations like HJK where possible.

Virizion:
Virizion
Type: Grass/Fighting
Stats: 91/90/72/90/129/108

Virizion can be used specially or physically, with the help of either Calm Mind or Swords Dance. CM is the more 'traditional' set, mainly because it offers near perfect coverage with Giga Drain, Focus Blast and HP Ice. The Swords Dance set offers Close Combat, Stone Edge and Leaf Blade, and also appeals to those who like to double their stats in just one turn instead of focusing more on defensive aspects. Either way, the speed of this Pokemon is to be feared, no matter what side of the offensive spectrum its coming from.

Pretty good, again avoid abbreviations and focus on making it flow better. You can probably do away with the last sentence because it's clear already that Virizion poses a threat as both a special and physical attacker.

:DD

Sorry, I had some stuff to do yesterday that got in the way of this. I'll work on my entries today and tomorrow. :f

Back