Discussion Buzzwole Deck Idea

HouchinsDJ

Aspiring Trainer
So with the release of Crimson Invasion, I wanted to build a deck around Buzzwole GX. I feel like it's one of the more competitive cards coming out of this set, and I think focusing on it's damage spread attack is the best way to go. I haven't really seen any deck lists, but I'm thinking Buzzwole GX/Garbodor. Here's a quick list I put together.

Pokémon - 12

4 Buzzwole-GX
1 Espeon-EX
3 Tapu Lele-GX
2 Trubbish BKP
2 Garbodor BKP

Trainer Cards - 36

4 Professor Sycamore
4 N
4 Guzma
3 Acerola
1 Brigette
4 Ultra Ball
2 Field Blower
1 Rescue Stretcher
1 Special Charge
4 Fighting Fury Belt
4 Float Stone
4 Po Town

Energy - 12

4 Strong Energy
8 Fighting Energy

I feel like it's a very straightforward list, but still feels like it's missing something. Plus, I could see it struggling against Volcanion, so I need to find a way to deal with that. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Buzzwole GX seems to be the only SM4 Pokémon that is a legitimate attacker and one that you can build a deck around. Further, in the Deck Garage, there are several Deck Garage threads regarding this Pokémon. There are several deck strategies to build a deck upon. For example, you could build Buzzwole GX with:
  • Friends (includes a variety of different attackers to play against opponent's Pokémon Weakness) - more for Expanded format play perhaps
  • Garbodor - both Garbotoxin and Trashalanche - just like in the "old" days with Landorus EX (the original Buzzwole GX-like Pokémon)
  • Espeon GX - covers Buzzwole GX's Weakness
In regards to your deck list, it seems solid given the assumed deck strategy. No doubt, some decks (e.g., Volcanion EX, Darkrai EX/GX) can "out-speed" you in regards to setup; but you've mitigated that risk Acerolas, FF Belts and Garbodor (Garbotoxin) with "lots" of Tools.

I'd suggest replacing:

• 1 Acerola with a Max Potion - to further extend your main attacker's longevity (without using a Supporter)
  • The Rescue Stretcher with a Super Rod in order to also recover and recycle discarded Fighting energy too
  • 1 Po Town with a Parallel City in order to remove unwanted/unneeded benched Pokémon
I hope you find these comments helpful.

Buzzwole GX seems to be the only SM4 Pokémon that is a legitimate attacker and one that you can build a deck around. Further, in the Deck Garage, there are several Deck Garage threads regarding this Pokémon. There are several deck strategies to build a deck upon. For example, you could build Buzzwole GX with:
  • Friends (includes a variety of different attackers to play against opponent's Pokémon Weakness) - more for Expanded format play perhaps
  • Garbodor - both Garbotoxin and Trashalanche - just like in the "old" days with Landorus EX (the original Buzzwole GX-like Pokémon)
  • Espeon GX - covers Buzzwole GX's Weakness
In regards to your deck list, it seems solid given the assumed deck strategy. No doubt, some decks (e.g., Volcanion EX, Darkrai EX/GX) can "out-speed" you in regards to setup; but you've mitigated that risk Acerolas, FF Belts and Garbodor (Garbotoxin) with "lots" of Tools.

I'd suggest replacing:

• 1 Acerola with a Max Potion - to further extend your main attacker's longevity (without using a Supporter)
  • The Rescue Stretcher with a Super Rod in order to also recover and recycle discarded Fighting energy too
  • 1 Po Town with a Parallel City in order to remove unwanted/unneeded benched Pokémon
I hope you find these comments helpful.

I definitely like the Parallel City suggestion. I thought about adding two more Trubbish and two Trashalanche Garbodor, but I feel like running Rainbow Energy makes the deck a bit clunky. I could be wrong. When I put together this list, I was focusing solely on Buzzwole's first attack and built the deck around that. I do think Trashalanche gives you a great late-game attacker.

Ahhh. I’m so scared of the weakness to psychic! The Garbodor play will make this tough

Every deck has a weakness. The plus side is that if you're going against Garbodor, as long as you're smart with your Item usage you can mitigate Garbodor's damage. You also have Acerola to help you deny your opponent prizes as well. Still not a great match-up, but I wouldn't consider is an auto-loss.

I definitely like the Parallel City suggestion. I thought about adding two more Trubbish and two Trashalanche Garbodor, but I feel like running Rainbow Energy makes the deck a bit clunky. I could be wrong. When I put together this list, I was focusing solely on Buzzwole's first attack and built the deck around that. I do think Trashalanche gives you a great late-game attacker.
Btw, I plan to start testing my version of the deck this Thursday afternoon. I'll share my results with you. Like you, I plan to use Buzzwole GX's Jet Punch a lot; so, I've teched in a Max Potion too in order to keep my initial Buzzwole GX in play a "long" time.

Back