Discussion Burning Energy in Charizard GX / Houndoom Ex Mill

Defiance

Aspiring Trainer
Topic. Good call or too clunky? Being able to discard 1 or two Burning Energies from your Charizard GX's 300 damage attack (which discards 3 already due to the attack) and then having them re-appear on the attacker (Charizard GX) at the end? Limits the number of turns having to reset him up for a second swing.

Even with one attached this could gel well with Blacksmith.

I think it's typically fun for casual play and pre-releases but otherwise think this isn't too clunky but outright too inefficient for the Pokemon that are run for this strategy.
Charizard GX's Wing Attack in my opinion is bad, Crimson Storm is cool and plausable thanks to Kiawe but discarding 3 energies is a lot to do. 300 damage is also "overkill" so while fun and amazing on first sight I don't think it's worth the effort required. Raging Out GX is a good effect but also quite expensive at 3 energies again... To me Houndoom EX just isn't the type of Pokemon that has what is required these days to be part of any deck at all. Milling 2 is just too slow.

Objectively speaking I think milling as is isn't a competitive option in this format with the sets available. The Charmander to Charizard GX line doesn't speed itself up and doesn't have some in between cool Powers that could assist it (now). If (for example) Charmeleon would mill 2-5 cards upon evolving I'd consider this strategy to be more viable. Now all you can do is present Pokemon who give away 2 prizes and mill. As a result to me Charizard GX is just a very odd Pokemon. If it's GX would say mill 10 and do 10 damage for each Pokemon (or something along those lines) milled I'd see some great potential while now I do not.

The prime issue I have with this is that A. It's bad against Greninja/Alolan Ninetales (GX). B. It's much slower as Volcanion/Kaiwe decks. C. Gardevoir GX/Sylveon GX completely counter this set up while punishing long and energy heavy set ups. If you can't deal with that (what I precieve) as current top I wouldn't play this type of deck.

I don't see this deck being top tier, to much energy and would take a long time to set up. Gardevoir will destroy it.

I think I would choose a different pokepartner if I would be going down the mill route. Yes there is the fire synergy- as stated above Houndoom EX just doesnt suck cards out of the opponent's deck fast enough. I think the real winner is Avalugg- The cost is steep at 3 water- However, there is Max Elixir/Aqua Patch for acceleration; and then the new tool that synergizes perfectly (provided it doesn't get field blowered away) Wish Baton! You're losing 3 cards yourself- but you should play enough energy recycler/brock's Grit to not mill yourself out; and the reward there could discard 9 off your opponent. Charizard-GX only needs a single fire- so you'd have to play a mix of fire/water energy- so you might have to just draw into fire- or maybe play Kiawe and 4 fire energy; to instantly charge up Charizard.... but I dont think you'd want to do this early game and energize the Charmander/Charmeleon. AND the last point about Avalugg- is that it's only a single prize.

Avalugg ismmwith wish baton is the way to go. I thought I was the only one thinking about it lol

I think it's typically fun for casual play and pre-releases but otherwise think this isn't too clunky but outright too inefficient for the Pokemon that are run for this strategy.
Charizard GX's Wing Attack in my opinion is bad, Crimson Storm is cool and plausable thanks to Kiawe but discarding 3 energies is a lot to do. 300 damage is also "overkill" so while fun and amazing on first sight I don't think it's worth the effort required. Raging Out GX is a good effect but also quite expensive at 3 energies again... To me Houndoom EX just isn't the type of Pokemon that has what is required these days to be part of any deck at all. Milling 2 is just too slow.

Objectively speaking I think milling as is isn't a competitive option in this format with the sets available. The Charmander to Charizard GX line doesn't speed itself up and doesn't have some in between cool Powers that could assist it (now). If (for example) Charmeleon would mill 2-5 cards upon evolving I'd consider this strategy to be more viable. Now all you can do is present Pokemon who give away 2 prizes and mill. As a result to me Charizard GX is just a very odd Pokemon. If it's GX would say mill 10 and do 10 damage for each Pokemon (or something along those lines) milled I'd see some great potential while now I do not.

The prime issue I have with this is that A. It's bad against Greninja/Alolan Ninetales (GX). B. It's much slower as Volcanion/Kaiwe decks. C. Gardevoir GX/Sylveon GX completely counter this set up while punishing long and energy heavy set ups. If you can't deal with that (what I precieve) as current top I wouldn't play this type of deck.
Kiawe wouldn't be able to help with getting burning energy on it though unfortunately....

Kiawe wouldn't be able to help with getting burning energy on it though unfortunately....

Yup. You have to do it the 'hard' way. But as above. I unfortunatly dont think that at this moment and time milling your opponent is a viable strategy. Even with Avalugg or other means. Milling in Pokemon is technically a great strategy because there is so much draw going on. Milling 10 is intense. But as a GX attack it's extremely limited and like with using Supporters if you want to effectively mill we should be talking about a 3 card minimum and ideally some damage attached.

If Charizard was a non-GX, Houndoom wasn't EX and basically all these Pokemon would only give away one prize I could see the time given required for milling to work. In addition if there was some effective milling Supporter it would have been another option to consider. However as far as my knowledge goes on the format now there is simply too little stuff going on that supports milling really well/well enough and there is enough that returns cards from the discard pile to the deck or hand.

JDA I suggest you liiking into Houndoom Mill that got top 32 at the Aneheim regionals back in febuary as the deck is still pretty functional it just may need some finetuning to handle the current format.

And there is a milling supporter, it's called Team Rocket's Handywork

Back