• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard Bulu/Vikavolt for Post rotation League Cup. Would Love Suggestions/Tips.

StevenM

Aspiring Trainer
I really want 1st place in this tournament to get that Ho Oh league cup playmat. Yeah, I could buy it but with champion written on the mat, it wouldn't feel like I earned it. Anyways... I've decided Bulu/Vikavolt might give me the best shot to win it. I've been playing a version of it without the Koko's, belts, and using 4 copies of Vikavolt/Bulu but I feel this is a smoother lineup? I've been consistently getting out Vikavolt turn 2. Also, I cut down to 2 Lele, though I feel like 3 could prove to be a big difference in increasing my odds of fetching a supporter I need.

The league cup I am attending is capped out at 40 people and is 1 game per round. Not sure if that is standard for most league cups but it doesn't sound too daunting of a tournament. But I am still nervous at how I'll do. Being prepared as possible and testing is what I aim to do. But any help here helps too. :)

3 Tapu Bulu
3 Grubbin
3 Vikavolt
2 Tapu Lele GX
2 Tapu Koko
1 Charjabug
1 Oranguru

4 Ultra Ball
4 Rare Candy
3 Skyla
3 Fighting Fury Belt
2 Professor Sycamore
2 N
2 Energy Recycler
2 Switch
2 Guzma
2 Brigette
2 Field Blower
2 Choice Band
2 Heavy Ball
1 Nest Ball

7 Grass Energy
5 Electric Energy

I've been writing this deck for my biddy for a couple weeks now and this is what we figured out. 4 Bulu, 1 koko. Also you will only need 3 rare candy and 1 skyla, and your sycamore and N lines are to small so bump that up to 4 sycamore and 3 N and you should be golden. This a complicated and touchy deck that does require a lot of playtesting, unlike Tapu Koko, so I would suggest playing it with someone or even by yourself. Check to see if the energy count works, if the tool count works, and if you have bench space for Oranguru. Any changes you make there will mostly be your playstyle. Good luck

acerizzo13 is 100% correct. I would also say cut the Oranguru for a 3rd Lele, since not dead-drawing is WAAAAAY too important post-rotation, and without VS Seeker, consistency is lost in some decks, made up by playing higher counts of most cards. Also, 2 Brigette is overkill, since sometimes, you may not even use 1. And it's not like it's hard to get, so definitely cut down to 1. However, I don't agree on 4 Bulu. I rarely find myself using more than 2, and same goes to everyone in my area who plays the deck(basically everyone). 3 Bulu is fine, and 2 Koko is eh. I would honestly play a 1-1 split in Koko(1 baby, 1 GX), and instead of 4 Bulu, 3 N, 3 Bulu, 4 N. You should do fine, Bulu is, and for time being, be a solid choice for just about any tourney.

Gumballs makes some good points, especially the agreeing with me XD. The promo is alright in this deck as 20 spread damage can help with late game math but it's very situational and you aren't running DCE. I'd say exactly 1 Tapu Koko GX is your best bet. My suggestions:

- 1 Tapu Koko GX
-1 Oranguru
-1 Rare Candy
-2 Skyla
-1 Bridgette

+2 Sycamore
+1 N
+2 Acerola
+1 (Open) Bulu/N/Acerola/Lele/FFB

list is looking really good. once you find a way to deal with metagross, volcanion and gardevoir you should have a good chance of doing well!

I am liking the suggestions. The matchups that are iffy for me are namely Gardevoir and Metagross. The numbers are hard to hit on them and so I thought 2 baby Koko would be beneficial for that. Not sure how I can the numbers needed against those decks?

I am liking the suggestions. The matchups that are iffy for me are namely Gardevoir and Metagross. The numbers are hard to hit on them and so I thought 2 baby Koko would be beneficial for that. Not sure how I can the numbers needed against those decks?
2 baby Koko don't really help those matchups if they just die in 1 blow. Bulu is super good against Gardevoir because you just discard you energy and they can't OHKO you without at least 6 energy(8 if you have the FFB). Metagross is iffy for you, and this is where Koko GX could be good. If they choose to put 5 energy on the field, you OHKO them(then again, they probably won't do that if they know you play Koko GX, but if you keep it at hand until this happens, you're good to go!) I suppose baby Koko can set up KO's against Metagross, but you have to work quickly to have that happen. Here's a little play advice: Koko's 20 x 2 =40 + Bulu(C-Band)'s 210 = 250= R.I.P Metagross GX.

2 baby Koko don't really help those matchups if they just die in 1 blow. Bulu is super good against Gardevoir because you just discard you energy and they can't OHKO you without at least 6 energy(8 if you have the FFB). Metagross is iffy for you, and this is where Koko GX could be good. If they choose to put 5 energy on the field, you OHKO them(then again, they probably won't do that if they know you play Koko GX, but if you keep it at hand until this happens, you're good to go!) I suppose baby Koko can set up KO's against Metagross, but you have to work quickly to have that happen. Here's a little play advice: Koko's 20 x 2 =40 + Bulu(C-Band)'s 210 = 250= R.I.P Metagross GX.

Bulu can't beat Gardevoir. Played against it three seperate occasions and they all ended poorly in the end. The ability to stack up energies on their end is too much and even if Bulu discards it's energies, it won't matter. Also, Acerola can be annoying too.

Not sure I want to play Bulu now. I lost to Ho Oh/Volcanion tonight as well. I just don't have confidence I can with 1st with anything...Gardevoir seems to be a deck a braindead person could pilot which might suit me best.

Last edited:
If you can't beat Garde, you have obviously been misplaying. They can only Acerola so many times, and they HAVE to have it at hand too, which isn't very hard to do, but it also isn't that easy. If they stack all of their energy onto the active, that's when you get Koko GX and OHKO them. An important thing in the Garde matchup is to never use Tapu Wilderness GX unless you're in a position where it A: wins you the game- guaranteed, or B: it keeps you from losing the game for a turn or 2-guaranteed. Otherwise, this is where Koko GX shines. Like I said, play a Koko split.

If you can't beat Garde, you have obviously been misplaying. They can only Acerola so many times, and they HAVE to have it at hand too, which isn't very hard to do, but it also isn't that easy. If they stack all of their energy onto the active, that's when you get Koko GX and OHKO them. An important thing in the Garde matchup is to never use Tapu Wilderness GX unless you're in a position where it A: wins you the game- guaranteed, or B: it keeps you from losing the game for a turn or 2-guaranteed. Otherwise, this is where Koko GX shines. Like I said, play a Koko split.

I haven't been misplaying. I got them down to 1 prize. It's just they have so many outs with Octillery, etc. It's too much for Bulu to handle. I have tested it and seen it with my own eyes.

Back