Building my first deck

Legendsneverdie

Aspiring Trainer
Hi i used to collect pokemon cards when i was younger.. but they got stolen from me.. now i want to build 2 decks to play with my girlfriend or freinds. u know just to have fun. i watched a few videos on how to play, and yes it seems like a awsome game.

now to the point. basically i been searching threw ebay and stuff looking at cards.. dont u need 50 cards to each deck? can someone outline me two good decks i should buy?? and i noticed their is alot of different sets. like the ex set and the original jungle set or something.. can all pokemon cards be mixed into 1 deck? can someone show me examples of what two effective decks would be? 1 for me and 1 for my freind/gf

In the world of pokemon cards at the moment, you can only use the sets Holon phantoms through to Majestic dawn.

In each set usually there are 2/3 theme decks, which are pre built for starters. Although not the bets of decks, there really helpful and have a rule book, mat so that you know where to put things and a coin ( Dice are better).

Also another way of getting cards is a booster pack, containing 10 cards each pack. They include:

1 rare
1 holo (shiny card)
3 un commons
5 commons

Buying these packs gives you the chance to get cards that make better combinations then the starter decks.

One of the best starter decks out there at the moment is the Glaceon starter from MD, which includes empoleon, glaceon, Manetric and jolteon.
Then buy a few packs after this and swap some cards out of the deck (IE: extra basics, extra energy etc) and you should be ready to go.

This thread goes to TCG Discussion. Misc Stuff is only for things that are not related to Pokemon.

*Moved*

Try to go to a POP (pokemon organized play) league. They have a lot of people who can help you learn not only how to play, but how to play well.

Also, have a look at the Deck Garage forum to see what the current Metagame (most popular decks) is. Check if there's a local league anywhere near where you live, they help a lot.

The format has just changed effective Sept. 1 such that only cards from Diamond & Pearl, Mysterious Treasures, Secret Wonders, Great Encounters, Majestic Dawn, and any future sets, as well as certain promo cards will be allowed in Modified tournaments. But, for casual play or League, you can mix cards from any sets.

But for a new player, what I would suggest is to get 2 of an identical theme deck (that will give a good line of the main Pokemon and should give a full playset of the Trainer cards if they are good) and then get a few packs (or get a tin). This works especially well with the decks from Great Encounters and D/P, because the tins have the Lv. X cards corresponding to the theme decks.

You can only have 4 of a card with the same name, and the level is not part of the card's name. This excludes the basic Energy cards.

Back