Best Way to Stop "Steam Up"

Pupnasty

Aspiring Trainer
SO I am running a fairy deck, which I will lsit below, I am wondering what the best way is to stop the "Steam Up" ability on Volacanion EX in the Volcanion decks? Thjat is really the only deck I have an issue with aside from Scizor.

I was wondering if I should find a way to meld Garbodor into it? or Hex Maniacs, or a Stadium to lock off abilities?

2 Gardevoir EX (STS)
2 Gardevoir EX (GEN)
1 M Gardevoir (STS)
2 M Gardevoir (GEN)
3 Xerneas (STS)
2 Xerneas Break (STS)
2 Shaymin (ROS)
1 Hoopa (AOR)
12 Fairy Energies
3 N
2 Sycs
4 Max Elixir
4 Trainers Mail
3 VS Seeker
1 Super Rod
3 Fairy Garden
4 Gardevoir Spirit Links
2 Mega Turbo
2 Fairy Drop
1 Lysandre
1 Skyla
3 Ultra Ball

... I am wondering what the best way is to stop the "Steam Up" ability on Volacanion EX in the Volcanion decks? I was wondering if I should find a way to meld Garbodor into it? or Hex Maniacs, or a Stadium to lock off abilities?
When you consider that you need Fairy Garden to provide free retreat for your Pokémon, incorporating Silent Lab to negate Steam Up is not practical (also, especially since your Stadium could be replaced). Secondly, inserting a 2-2 Garbodor line and 2 Tools leaves you with the dilemma of deciding what to take out.... No doubt, whatever you replace will have a negative impact on your current deck's consistency. So, that now leaves you with Hex Maniac whose inclusion would have minimal impact on your current list.

Also, keep in mind that Vocanion is not a "hard counter" (i.e., can 1HKO your main Pokémon), unlike M Scizor EX, to your deck. Seems to me of the 3 stated choices, Hex Maniac could be the preferred alternative.

Last edited:
I ended up running Hex Maniac in my deck tonight and it did fairly well, locked down an Ampharos EX deck and locked down the Volcs in a Volcanion EX/Houndoom EX/Flareon EX deck, so I ended up just dropping the fairy drops.

Back