Best Time to Get Back Into the Game

Liko

Darkrai Trainer
Hello,
I have left the Pokemon TCG awhile ago and I have finally have the money to get back into. I'm just wondering when I should. I watched the recent worlds tournament and seems grass decks is the current rage right now. I've read that rotations tend to take effect after Worlds, so when would be the best time to jump in?

RE: Wanting to Play again.

Most of the cards in the Virizion EX, Genesect EX decks will still be legal after the rotation so those decks will still be good aside from being expensive. It was surprising seeing the grass decks do so well at the world tournament in my opinnion. the decks were always good but they seemed to fall a little short. There are other decks that are good and cheaper it just really depends on your playstyle and what you like to play.

I'm talking I have zero cards. So should I just wait till they reformat everything like they did with Black/White.

I actually just recently got back into collecting and bought 3 booster boxes + tons of blisters of the recent sets but, I have never played the game. I want to get into playing the game but I don't really know where to begin. :( This Saturday I have off of work so I was planning on looking around for something to go to. Is it weird to visit leagues even if you don't participate in the actual games? Like say to check it out, watch games and maybe do trades. I'm not sure what exactly is proper to do. I've been to a yu-gi-oh league thing in the past (over 10 years ago) but, now I am an adult. Do a lot of adults participate? I guess i'm just super self-conscious about myself, is all. lol

I would like to get familiar with a league and maybe participate 1-2 times per month and do prereleases. That is my goal.

People go to leagues all the time to just trade, and watch. Just look at what other people are playing whether it is at the league, or online and pick a deck you like. A lot of staples are easy to trade for.

akida said:
I actually just recently got back into collecting and bought 3 booster boxes + tons of blisters of the recent sets but, I have never played the game. I want to get into playing the game but I don't really know where to begin. :( This Saturday I have off of work so I was planning on looking around for something to go to. Is it weird to visit leagues even if you don't participate in the actual games? Like say to check it out, watch games and maybe do trades. I'm not sure what exactly is proper to do. I've been to a yu-gi-oh league thing in the past (over 10 years ago) but, now I am an adult. Do a lot of adults participate? I guess i'm just super self-conscious about myself, is all. lol

I would like to get familiar with a league and maybe participate 1-2 times per month and do prereleases. That is my goal.
I don't think it's a big deal, and you don't have to worry about going to a league. I'm a teen and I was the youngest person in the league I went to... and the age gap was by at least 5 years. So you shouldn't worry about it being awkward. Looking around and just asking to trade isn't weird, so frankly, if you feel like you want go an try it out and go back into it, it wouldn't be weird to go.

Liko said:
I'm talking I have zero cards. So should I just wait till they reformat everything like they did with Black/White.
Don't wait for a complete reformat. It might never happen, but probably earliest when gen 7 is here...

RE: Wanting to Play Again.

The rotation is occurring on September 3rd, and only sets from Boundaries Crossed-On will be legal for standard play (note that some tournaments will allow a new format called "Extended", which includes sets from Black and White-On, so always check with the tournament organizer/staff before you sign up). The best time to get into the game, I feel, is just after worlds, preparing for the new rotation, so you're in luck.

I would start by figuring out the kind of deck you would like to play before you start building one. There's a lot of archetypes in the format right now (and that's not strictly just types: many archetypes include a variety of different types of Pokemon; it's not "grass decks" that are popular, it's a specific archetype, Virizion/Genesect, which is) and a lot of different ways to play.

I would start by looking through the Deck Garage forum and just picking out a couple of lists that seem interesting. Then, use an online simulator like PlayTCG (free, but manual interface), PTCGO (official simulator; you need to use codes from purchased packs to trade or acquire most specific cards, automatic interface), or TCGOne (free, automatic interface, but lacks some of the latest modified-legal cards). From there, you'll start to get a feel for both the metagame and how the decks you chose play. You can refine your choices to better appeal to the sort of play-style you find most enjoyable.

Once you've found something you really like, then you build it for real, and start play-testing it for tournament play.

And since you're starting from scratch, you may as well just pick up the staples while you figure out a deck. Here's a rough list of some of the most popular staple cards in the format:
  • 4x Professor Sycamore (Or Juniper, but you can't play both and Sycamore will be in the format longer)
  • 4x N
  • 2-4x Skyla
  • 2-4x Colress
  • 1-2x Shauna
  • 1x Pokemon Fan Club (for evolution decks only, for the most part)
  • 1-2x Lysandre
  • 4x Ultra Ball
  • 2-4x Muscle Band
  • 2-4x Silver Bangle
  • 1-2x Surprise Megaphone
  • 1-2x Professor's Letter
  • 1x Computer Search and/or Dowsing Machine
  • 2-4x Rare Candy (again, evolution decks only, but it's always in the format so it can't hurt to pick it up)
  • 2-4x Hypnotoxic Laser (only with Virbank City Gym)
  • 2-3x Virbank City Gym (only with Hypnotoxic Laser)

Hope this helps. Have fun!

RE: Wanting to Play Again.

I would start now. If it were me I would start now that way you have almost a whole year to prepare yourself test decks see what works best and get better cards as well. It is never to late to start preparing so do it now while you can XD.:)

Back