Discussion Best Lucario GX Variant

TigerZord14

Aspiring Trainer
just wondering what everyone thinks if the best way to play lucario gx. whether its with zoroark or just a straight fighting deck or perhaps something else

i agree with roblo, if i had lucario i would try to pair it with garb covers some weakness and he's strong in the current format

Last edited:
I feel that any Lucario-GX variant that has a decent way to deal with its own weakness is strong, so I prefer Zoroark/Lucario with a Mew EX or two.

I play it as a deck by itself, I use regirock to boost damage, try to take a quick 4 prizes. But I do admit I am missing a secondary attacker, looking for suggestions, something simple that can be tech'd in

I plan to just run that new Lucario GX with Buzzwole and Garbodor. In doing so, I believe one no longer is dependent upon Max Elixirs to power-up a Buzzwole GX to 1HKO an opponent's Zoroark GX, for example, which could then setup the Buzzwole GX for a response KO by the opponent's Mewtwo (EVO).

Last edited:
From what I have seen I think it's pretty good with Lycanroc. TBH this thread has me inspired to try it out with Silvally as I think they could have potential being together given the versatility of Silvally.

Both octillery and Zoro draw variants can work. It's a bit of a guess on meta. In a heavy fighting meta your zoroa get chewed up. Lycanroc feels like a must to get the right cards in active.

From my testing, I prefer the Lucario/Lycanroc/Zoroark build that Igor Costa posted on HeyFonte last weekend. I made a few changes to his list but it's incredibly strong and versatile. You have three solid attackers that all have different weaknesses, access to Trade and Bloodthirsty Eyes, as well as Dangerous Rouge or Cantankerous Beatdown. It also runs Mew-EX, Mewtwo, and Tapu Koko, all of which help in matchups that can give the deck trouble. It sounds like a lot but it runs smooth.

Right now it depends on what you’re running into. I’ll give my vote to Lucario/Lycanroc with super scoop up. Does very well against Gardy and Zoroark variants. It’s very bad against Espeon however. If you’re seeing a lot of Espeon I’d look at Lucario/Zoroark instead.

I play a Zoroark/Lucario Variant with a 1-1 Alolan Muk line, and it is absolutely devastating whenever I decide to drop it. I also play 1 copy of Wally in the list, just to make dropping it even more of a shock when it does happen. Zoroark gives Lucario the consistency it needs, as a lot of builds play Super Scoop Up and Pokemon Catcher, both of which rely on a coin filp. A coin flip is the worst consistency you can get, so I try to avoid it whenever possible. Lucario can also 1HKO an Espeon, using Cyclone Kick with 2 Strong Energy and a Choice Band, but I wouldn't recommend it.

Back