Discussion Best combos for Honchkrow GRI?

Attix

Electric Delivery Driver from Washington
I was thinking on some good combos for Honchkrow GRI and Raven's claw, and already have found Tapu Koko Promo to be an excellent one. What are some others? Maybe some deck suggestions?

There aren't any decks around Honchkrow because they aren't good with where the meta is out right now. So while I don't have any deck suggestions, I can tell you that you're definitely on the right track with Koko. Choice Band is an absolute must and I would even go as far as thinking Necrozma might be worth sneaking in the deck to drop 200, 300 damage on the field with a DCE and a random Energy. I think this is the best way to go. I'd be playing four Koko and Max Elixir so you're not solely reliant on DCE to stream attackers.

My deck isn't BASED around Honchkrow; it's just part of a larger core. But yeah, Choice Band would be a good idea.

I think the biggest problem with Honchkrow- is that the more it KO's the weaker it gets, also a well timed Acerola or Max Potion, really will set you back to square one.

Your biggest damage spreaders (in standard) are: Tapu Koko (promo), Necrozma-GX, Weavile (BUS), and Latios (SHL).

You might do better with Weavile in a best of 1 as opposed to a best of 3...because in future games your opponent just might not play their Octillery or only bench 1 Zoroark instead of 3. Additionally you might want a Mr. Mime as well as Weavile will also damage any of your own abilitied pokemon.

Latios with a choice band does (30+30) x2= 120 to a Buzzwole + your additional 30 to their bench. Thats a good chunk of damage for just a DCE.

Also with this deck concept, you'd be apt to also play Counter Energies to give you more outs to a double colorless- Because you'll likely fall behind in prizes, and if you do I think a Watch & Learn- Sudowoodo might be a good addition that could copy a Beserk or Nature's Judgement. (Which actually get you OHKOs as opposed to setting up Honchkrow- but still will keep you in the game)- But against other attackers still might load up quite a bit of damage.

Hope this helps!

I think the biggest problem with Honchkrow- is that the more it KO's the weaker it gets, also a well timed Acerola or Max Potion, really will set you back to square one.

Your biggest damage spreaders (in standard) are: Tapu Koko (promo), Necrozma-GX, Weavile (BUS), and Latios (SHL).

You might do better with Weavile in a best of 1 as opposed to a best of 3...because in future games your opponent just might not play their Octillery or only bench 1 Zoroark instead of 3. Additionally you might want a Mr. Mime as well as Weavile will also damage any of your own abilitied pokemon.

Latios with a choice band does (30+30) x2= 120 to a Buzzwole + your additional 30 to their bench. Thats a good chunk of damage for just a DCE.

Also with this deck concept, you'd be apt to also play Counter Energies to give you more outs to a double colorless- Because you'll likely fall behind in prizes, and if you do I think a Watch & Learn- Sudowoodo might be a good addition that could copy a Beserk or Nature's Judgement. (Which actually get you OHKOs as opposed to setting up Honchkrow- but still will keep you in the game)- But against other attackers still might load up quite a bit of damage.

Hope this helps!

In play tests I've made the following observations:
  • It's best to set up a couple Flying Flips before sending Honchkrow in to get KO's, then send in the Krow to get a couple KO's before swapping back into something else (my deck is set up so that it gets free retreat most of the time).
  • The biggest problem I'm running into is its measly 110 HP, which just isn't enough to tank some of the harder hits (nothing in my deck survives Giga Hammer, fr'instance). (BB Dumbbells?)
  • Weavile could actually work since the only Pokémon in my deck that has an ability is Tapu Lele. If I do go with Weavile I might just have one line replace my second Honchkrow, but that leaves the problem of a prized attacker. (Gladion?)
  • Latios doesn't really work in my deck and neither does Necrozma. I might tweak my Metagross deck to make the combo work there, though.

My deck isn't BASED around Honchkrow; it's just part of a larger core. But yeah, Choice Band would be a good idea.

Oh. I would probably retitle your thread to something like "Want to Tech Honchkrow" or "Is Honchkrow Tech Viable" to clear up any misunderstanding.

I would highly reconsider wanting to use Honchkrow in any deck for the time being due to what you've already mentioned. I like what @semurphy444 said about Acerola, which is very popular at the moment. What benefits do Honchkrow bring to a deck that you would choose to play him over more Supporters/consistency cards? I guess I just need more information here. Like, you're saying Latios and Necrozma don't work in your deck...if you're talking about trying to make Honchkrow work in Metagross then you're wasting your time haha.

Back