Help Beginner Questions

JeremyR

Aspiring Trainer
Hi there,

Firstly just like to apologise for being lazy and not searching the forums for answers to my questions. Problem is I have a handful of them and I dont think Id find the exact answer I am after regarding some of them. So hopefully I dont offend anybody in the process. I am a beginner at playing PTCG and there are a few things that are not very clear for me.

So here I go...
1. Regarding switching pokemon out, if I choose a trainer card or attack that says the opponent is to switch their active pokemon, is the opponent able to bring that pokemon back to active on their next turn? It seems a little pointless using switch if thats the case other than the retreat cost of their active pokemon.

2. Can you put energy on a Stage 1 pokemon even though that pokemon has not evolved yet?

3. Can you use an ability from a Stage 1 pokemon even though that pokemon has not evolved yet?

4. Can I have 5 pokemon on my bench plus my active pokemon? If I want to retreat can I move a benched pokemon to my hand to make room for my retreating pokemon?

5. If my attack says put some damage counters on my opponents benched pokemon, does that include pokemon on my opponents bench that havent evolved yet?

6. Can you use the same attack in a row over and over again?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
It sounds like you haven't read the rules for the game as all of the questions are easily answered by the game rules. I would sugggest reading the rules or downloading PTCGO and playing the tutorial.

1) Yes they can retreat like normal

2+3) You play a stage 1 pokemon by evolving so it's no to both. I have no idea what your concept of evolving pokemon is but it's wrong

4) Yes 1 active and 5 bench is a very basic rule. Retreating switches the active pokemon with a benched pokemon so there is no issue with space.

5) Again I don't know what you think the evolving mechanic is because this question makes no sense.

6) Why not?

Thanks CrownAxe appreciate your help.

Just regarding question 1, what I mean is can my opponents pokemon that was switched out during my turn become active again during my opponents turn?
It would seem a little pointless if my opponent can bring the same pokemon that was switched out by me to be able to make it active again straight away but then thats just my opinion.

As for the other questions, thanks for your help it is a lot clearer now.

To answer your first question often if you use a Guzma on an opponents Pokemon it is to knock our a potential threat or to take your last prizes off of a lower hp Pokemon. It can also be used to stall by bringimg up a Pokemon with a heafty retreat cost so yes cards like Guzma have a huge effect on the game hints why it's a 3 or 4 of I'm every deck in standard pretty much

To answer your first question often if you use a Guzma on an opponents Pokemon it is to knock our a potential threat or to take your last prizes off of a lower hp Pokemon. It can also be used to stall by bringimg up a Pokemon with a heafty retreat cost so yes cards like Guzma have a huge effect on the game hints why it's a 3 or 4 of I'm every deck in standard pretty much

So thats a yes then that a switched pokemon can be made active again on my opponents turn? If thats the case then I do understand what you are saying and the benefits of switching.

Hi there,

Firstly just like to apologise for being lazy and not searching the forums for answers to my questions. Problem is I have a handful of them and I dont think Id find the exact answer I am after regarding some of them. So hopefully I dont offend anybody in the process. I am a beginner at playing PTCG and there are a few things that are not very clear for me.

So here I go...

Hello!

Others have answered, but I'm going to answer again just because I'm an annoying know-it-all to affirm or clarify previous responses. I'm also going to add this link to the Play! Pokémon Rules & Resources page. That is part of the official Pokémon website, and you can download a copy of the rulebook (to get started) and then check out some more advanced documents... which might sound stuffy, but you'll find some cool, underused formats there like 30-Card and Team Battle. ;) Get the fundamentals down first, of course!

1. Regarding switching pokemon out, if I choose a trainer card or attack that says the opponent is to switch their active pokemon, is the opponent able to bring that pokemon back to active on their next turn? It seems a little pointless using switch if thats the case other than the retreat cost of their active pokemon.

Controlling your opponent's Active can be used to
  • Set up a "better" Knock Out (easier, faster, or taking out something more important)
  • Get around certain effects (going to the Bench resets most attack-based effects, and some Abilities only work while Active)
  • Stall (by bringing up something hard to retreat and unable to attack well, if at all)
Some effects allow you to dictate what your opponent promotes from the Bench, some effects allow your opponent to choose. The former is better, but the latter can still prove useful if your opponent doesn't have anything they want in the Active position more than their current Active Pokémon. The source of the effect also matters, and in some cases, the timing of the effect. Why?

A player, on his or her turn, may retreat his or her Active Pokémon once during the turn by paying the Retreat Cost. A player can also change his or her Active Pokémon through card effects, such as by playing a Switch, which does not count as retreating. Attacks that only change out your opponent's Active, especially if your opponent is allowed to pick which Benched Pokémon is promoted, are very weak. They can still be useful, but under specific circumstances like triggering or canceling out certain effects, or forcing your opponent to use up a resource he or she needed for other purposes.

Mostly, cards that change out the opponent's Active are useful because they have a low cost, an additional effect, and/or take place before an attack does damage.

2. Can you put energy on a Stage 1 pokemon even though that pokemon has not evolved yet?

I want to make sure you understand the fundamentals of Stages and Evolving in Pokémon. Everything I am about to say has exceptions, but you need to learn these first before the exceptions make any sense. ;) I will only cover the main three Stages of Evolutions; there are other, but like with the exceptions, you should learn the fundamentals first.
  • Under normal circumstances, neither player may Evolve any Pokémon on his or her first turn.
  • Basic Pokémon are the ones that don't usually Evolve from another Pokémon. You may play these from your hand to your Bench, so long as there is an open Bench space. You also need at least one of these in your deck in order for it to be legal. That is because, during setup, you need at least one Pokémon to function as your opening Active, and you cannot do that with Evolutions. This Stage is why I keep saying "...learn the fundamentals..." instead of "...learn the basics...". An example of a Basic Pokémon is Charmander.
  • Stage 1 Pokémon Evolve from Basic Pokémon. To put them into play, the Basic Pokémon from which they Evolve needs to not only be in play but have been in play since before the turn began. You then Evolve that Basic into the Stage 1, by placing the Stage 1 card on top of the Basic. Damage counters and any cards that were attached to the Basic transfer to the Stage 1, but Special Conditions and most other effects go away. You lose access to anything that was printed on the Basic Pokémon's card, like Abilities or attacks. An example of a Stage 1 Pokémon is Charmeleon.
  • Stage 2 Pokémon Evolve from Stage 1 Pokémon. Otherwise, the rules for Evolving into them are the same as for Evolving a Basic into a Stage 1. An example of a Stage 2 Pokémon is Charizard.
You cannot attach Energy to a Pokémon that is not in play. If you cannot put your Stage 1 (or 2) Pokémon into play but wish to power it up, get its lower Stage(s) into play and attach Energy to them instead. Then, when you Evolve those into their higher Stage(s), they will already have some Energy attached. This actually ties into your first question; most Basics you can Evolve have low HP, so forcing them into the Active position often allows a player to take an easy OHKO and makes it harder for the other player to get his or her Evolutions to the field.

3. Can you use an ability from a Stage 1 pokemon even though that pokemon has not evolved yet?

If a Stage 1 has already Evolved into a Stage 2, the Ability (like the attacks) of the Stage 1 are no longer available... so you usually can only use Abilities on a Pokémon that has yet to Evolve. However, if by this you meant a Stage 1 that has not yet been put into play, most of the time you cannot use said Ability. The exceptions will be very clear that you make use of the Ability in hand; if the card doesn't specify, it means the Pokémon has to already be in play.

4. Can I have 5 pokemon on my bench plus my active pokemon? If I want to retreat can I move a benched pokemon to my hand to make room for my retreating pokemon?

The default is that a player has one Active Pokémon and up to more five Pokémon on his or her Bench. As far as the game is concerned, you always have an Active Pokémon; anything that forces you to change your Active Pokémon is considered to happen instantaneously. When your Active Pokémon is sent to your Bench, something else is automatically forced to the Active position. When you either choose to retreat or an effect swaps your Active Pokémon for one from your Bench, select the new Pokémon and move it to the Active position while moving the former Active to the Bench. If you are having difficulties moving the cards at the same time, just make sure you don't get confused while you move them one at a time. :)

You can never discard a Pokémon from in play or return one from in play to your hand unless a card effect or game mechanic says to do so. There are cards that can do one or the other, as well as a few that can shuffle a Pokémon (sometimes all cards attached to it as well) to its owner's deck. This is why you need to be careful about what you Bench; you can run out of room! I don't think any game mechanics - by which I mean things that are part of the rules but not usually printed as part of the card effect - force you to return a Pokémon from the field to your hand, but anytime a Pokémon is KO'd, it and any cards attached to it are discarded. You may also have to discard Pokémon from your Bench if another card effect reduces your Bench-size, and you now have more Pokémon in play than you are allowed. There aren't a lot of cards that do this, but it is often a potent effect as most decks make use of their full Bench space, or at least close to it.

5. If my attack says put some damage counters on my opponents benched pokemon, does that include pokemon on my opponents bench that havent evolved yet?

See my earlier comments about the rules for Evolving. If it is on your opponent's Bench, whether it is a Basic, a Stage 1, a Stage 2, or some of those more obscure Stages of Evolution I didn't explain, it would be a legal target to receive the damage counters. Even if you intend to Evolve in next turn. If you mean a Pokémon you have in your hand, one that you intend to use to Evolve one of your other Pokémon the next turn, the card in hand is safe. Your opponent shouldn't even know the Pokémon is there, unless he or she used a card effect to see your hand, or if you used a card effect that forced you to reveal that Pokémon.

6. Can you use the same attack in a row over and over again?

You may attack once during your turn, which then ends your turn, though there are a few very, very obscure exceptions. Unless an attack has an effect on it such as "This Pokémon cannot attack during your next turn." or "You may not use this attack during your next turn." then yes, you may use an attack again on the next turn.

I definitely encourage you to read the rules. If you have enough cards, build two decks and play yourself to try and learn, or better still, play a friend or try the Pokémon Trading Card Game Online. The PTCGO even has a guest mode if you don't want to sign up for an account and play it "for real". The PTCGO is free-to-play, though some regions (not the USA) have in game purchases. You also can get booster packs in the PTCGO by redeeming codes that come in Pokémon products (like booster packs).

Last edited:
Number51x and Otaku, you have been very helpful.

On a side note, I have read the rules downloaded from the Official PTCG and although they may seem straight forward, from a beginners point of view its sometimes hard to grasp the concept of game play when both myself and my opponent have never played before. Ive taken a look at some of the deck builds on this site to get a feel for what people are using but rather than focusing on the Pokemon Im looking more at the Trainer cards.
I dont want to get into the competitive side because Id have to throw some money at it so Im just happy to play with basic cards with evolutions (No EXs or GXs yet). What I am discovering is that trainer cards control the flow of the game and so if my opponent and I have a decent set of trainers regardless of what pokemon we have (to a point), we can have an enjoyable game.

Otaku, thanks mate. Im going to enjoy reading your last post, everyone here has been very helpful. I know noob questions can frustrate the experts especially when it appears we havent read the rules but like I said I have and some people are just born to learn slower than others, haha.

Onwards and upwards!

On a side note, I have read the rules downloaded from the Official PTCG and although they may seem straight forward, from a beginners point of view its sometimes hard to grasp the concept of game play when both myself and my opponent have never played before. Ive taken a look at some of the deck builds on this site to get a feel for what people are using but rather than focusing on the Pokemon Im looking more at the Trainer cards.
I dont want to get into the competitive side because Id have to throw some money at it so Im just happy to play with basic cards with evolutions (No EXs or GXs yet). What I am discovering is that trainer cards control the flow of the game and so if my opponent and I have a decent set of trainers regardless of what pokemon we have (to a point), we can have an enjoyable game.

Otaku, thanks mate. Im going to enjoy reading your last post, everyone here has been very helpful. I know noob questions can frustrate the experts especially when it appears we havent read the rules but like I said I have and some people are just born to learn slower than others, haha.

Onwards and upwards!

Indeed, the rules can be hard to grasp, especially just by reading them on your own. I first started playing back with the original Base Set. I made two huge mistakes even though I'd read the rules over and over again. First, thinking of it like the PP from the video games, I was convinced you had to discard the printed Energy requirements from a Pokemon to use an attack... when something with actual discard requirements came along, it then seemed like a bargain because I read it as only having to discard that amount of Energy, instead of the full price. XP The one that really takes the cake, however, is mistaking Double Colorless Energy as... a Trainer. Even though it was the first and only Special Energy card back then and the rules made it clear that Special Energy cards were a "thing", even though it was clearly positioned (in terms of card number) at the beginning of the Energy cards... well, that also made it look like the end of the Trainer cards, and its coloration was just close enough, and the mistake made a lot of the junky cards good. Somehow, I even convinced two of my friends. It wouldn't be so bad except we were already in the 11th and 12th grades. At least I was the 11th grader. XP

Anyway, if you have the time, a decent internet connection, and a decent computer, the PTCGO might be the best budget approach to Pokemon. I've spent $0.00 USD on the PTCGO, and the only reason I don't have a competitive, current deck is because I've been lazy and barely played for a few months. I'm not sure if I'm even too far removed yet, because I was one of the people hyping up Zoroark-GX, and so made sure to trade for three or four ASAP. You're mostly right about the Trainer cards dictating the game. There are a few Pokemon and Energy cards that pretty common to most decks as well, and set the pace of the game. Not sure how many other TCGs you play, but cards that are common to all or nearly all decks are called "staples". Not sure if the term originates from staple dietary items or from the metal staple that holds things together. You may also hear the term "loose staple" or "near staple", for the cards that aren't universal but are pretty common to decks.

Anyway, happy gaming, and if you're sticking to casual play with friends, definitely check out more of those official documents.

I'm posting via a tablet, so I can't easily navigate to the site and find the correct document, but one of the official looking ones that you'd think only mattered to competitive players includes the rules for several alternate ways to play. 30-Card definitely looks good for players on a budget; as the name says players use 30-card decks, and the normal 4 Copy rules is reduced to 2 Copies of a card (other than basic Energy or cards that have a limit printed on them). Team Battle is meant for four players, specifically two teams of two, and all of you playing at the same time. It can get pretty crazy, but it might be the most fun way to play, especially with friends. :)

Indeed, the rules can be hard to grasp, especially just by reading them on your own. I first started playing back with the original Base Set. I made two huge mistakes even though I'd read the rules over and over again. First, thinking of it like the PP from the video games, I was convinced you had to discard the printed Energy requirements from a ...

Yeah its funny how we can misinterpret what we read because we already have a preconceived idea of what we think it means and therefore dont actually understand its real meaning. Or perhaps the rules just arent very clear anyway :p Well thanks for clearing that all up for me, I have found those Tournament rules to read and also downloaded the free installer for TPCGO. When I get some time to myself Ill try a few games online, so far it looks pretty neat.

:)

You then Evolve that Basic into the Stage 1, by placing the Stage 1 card underneath the Basic.

uh... you don't put the stage one UNDER the basic, you put it ON TOP of the basic (sure it was just a typo on your part place I'm might make a problem in the future)

Onwards and upwards!

in some ways, think of pokemon like chess. it takes quite a few games just to get a good handle of the game mechanics.
maybe 20+ games... before you don't have to think about the mechanics and they become 2nd nature.
once you get the mechanics down... you can devote more of your gameplay to thinking about strategy.
just like chess... the more proficient you become, the more you can think 1, 2, 3 moves ahead.
look not only at your own deck, but also at your opponent and consider what they are trying to do.
what is their greatest threat to your deck.
inversely, try to learn the nuance of your deck. play test a LOT. and learn how to use it versus multi opponents.
don't worry about 1 game. EVERYONE can have a bad draw or game. consistency is the key.
Trainers and Supporters are where the game is won and lost.

Back