Collecting Base Set Tangela (66/102) Error Card

First of all, I think this is a legit error. The card doesn't have an obvious signs of being fake, at least.

That said, I have no idea what it is, so I'm not much help.

One question though: Can you recall if this card was ever sleeved? Up until around 2010, some Ultra Pro sleeves came with a little sticker on the bottom right, around the area of the mark on your card and nearly the same size/shape. I'm curious if maybe something "leaked" onto the card from something like that. Though it's perhaps too coincidental for two different Tangelas to have the same issue.

Perplexing indeed!

Moved from TCG News and Discussion to Collectors Showcase ~Steffenka

Ty!

First of all, I think this is a legit error. The card doesn't have an obvious signs of being fake, at least.

That said, I have no idea what it is, so I'm not much help.

One question though: Can you recall if this card was ever sleeved? Up until around 2010, some Ultra Pro sleeves came with a little sticker on the bottom right, around the area of the mark on your card and nearly the same size/shape. I'm curious if maybe something "leaked" onto the card from something like that. Though it's perhaps too coincidental for two different Tangelas to have the same issue.

Perplexing indeed!

Thanks for responding!

To answer your question: The card has never been sleeved. It was stacked in a box with the other cards in my childhood collection.

@JoolzV

I did some more scouring, and I came across someone who has a similar smudge, although a different color and placed over the card art:
http://i.imgur.com/GJh4Yqg.jpg

My best guess, going by the various pics we have, is that it's a droplet of ink or some similar printing gunk. I do believe you have a legit factory error card; I'm unsure how much more it'd be worth, though. It might increase in value if you get the card graded and it's confirmed to be a printed error, though it's sadly a bit expensive to have this done if you aren't already a regular grader.

Thanks for further input! I took a really close look at the picture you posted and compared it with the pictures of the previous Tangela error cards. On the card you posted the blue parts of the ink spot are in front of the Tangela image and in front of the image frame. You can even see the ink spots on top of the black background in between Tangelas vines.

In the previous pictures the green parts of the ink spots are in front of the retreat cost symbols and in front of the pokédex entry frame. But the pokedex text is printed on top of the spots. I guess that tells something about the printing of the cards, that the text was printed later in the production chain. I guess that can be used to prove that the error is factory error and not an recent ink droplet.

I've also done some further researching and found this thread were two users have the same ink bubble error on their jungle Exeggcute:
http://efour.proboards.com/thread/3101/name-kind-misprint-pokemon-card

I find it very interesting how some of the Pokémon cards have consistent ink defects. This Tangela will definitely have a special place in my collection. It would be nice to have it rated, but as you say it's too expensive for me.

Back