• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Ballistoise (Black Kyurem EX / Blastoise / Keldeo EX)

Thanks, Tuxedo! I will do some playtest with your ideas.

Jirachi EX price is soaring high right now, so I guess that will have to wait.

I will try to run Shaunas and N, since I only have 2 N and it has become difficult to find, specially when it was saved by the bell from rotating out.

I understand; when the rotation was finally announced, other cards' prices shot up too, like Landorus EX - which I now need 4 of... Lol.

Have you thought about using Pal Pad? I've got two in my deck and with 3x Lysandre which I'm thinking of lowering down to 2.

pygohan said:
Have you thought about using Pal Pad? I've got two in my deck and with 3x Lysandre which I'm thinking of lowering down to 2.

Currently I was thinking about Jrachi EX, Random Receiver and Pal Pad, but I couldn't decide which of them would be better and what to remove from the listing to get any of those in... Any tips on that?

pygohan said:
What's your updated card list

The first post was updated with what I used on this last Saturday (Aug 10th) on a local competition and with my current thoughts on what to change.

My thoughts:

- 1 Fennekin
- 1 Delphox
- 1 Rare Candy
- 2 Colress

+ 1 Voltorb
+ 1 Electrode
+ 1 Random Receiver
+ 2 Shauna.

Let me know how that works out.

I don't think you need that many electrode and voltorbs.
But if I were you, I would add 2 max potions. That way you would be only discarding
one energy after black ballista. Prize denial pretty huge here.
I would also cut 1-2 skylas as you won't need that many.

- 1 Voltorb
- 1 Electrode
+ 2 Max potions
- 1-2 Skylas
+ 1 Colress

Dowsing Machine is a good idea. You may also consider Computer Search.

Out of Jirachi, random reciever, and pal pad, I'd go with pal pad.
1. No need for jirachi: almost all bench space is needed. Jirachi is also an easy target.
2. No need for random reciever: there are a lot of supporters in the deck
3. best choice would be pal pad which acts as a supporter conserver

xKetoblu said:
My thoughts:

- 1 Fennekin
- 1 Delphox
- 1 Rare Candy
- 2 Colress

+ 1 Voltorb
+ 1 Electrode
+ 1 Random Receiver
+ 2 Shauna.

Let me know how that works out.

This looks promising, although I am not sure I want to lower Rare Candy's count right now... I will try to get my hands on a Random Receiver to see how it plays. Thanks!

bwpple said:
I don't think you need that many electrode and voltorbs.
But if I were you, I would add 2 max potions. That way you would be only discarding
one energy after black ballista. Prize denial pretty huge here.
I would also cut 1-2 skylas as you won't need that many.

- 1 Voltorb
- 1 Electrode
+ 2 Max potions
- 1-2 Skylas
+ 1 Colress

Dowsing Machine is a good idea. You may also consider Computer Search.

Hummm, I don't think you followed the thread, my current deck doesn't has any Voltorb or Electrode.

As for the potions, I thought about getting them in just to check how they would play, but I have 2 restrictions: 1. They are expensive and I have none currently; 2. Much more often than not, my Kyurems get OHKO. It is rare to battle against someone that goes for a 2 or even a 3HKO, the current meta has too much burst damage.

Also, I am not that ready to let any Skylas go... They are a must for this deck, specially now that Heavy and Level Balls are gone.

It would be a good better choice to remove the pokemon fan club because it wastes your supporter for the turn and multiple attackers are basic.
Blastoise would be soon powered up with rare candy on the second turn and you should be able to get the black kyurem out real soon.
I suggest adding a startling megaphone as garbodor would make you completely vurnurble and that one megaphone won't get the job done.
You could also add Mewtwo EX to the mix to counter any psychic weak pokemon as furious fist is coming out and fighting types are getting more popular.

So I would do this to fit in random receiver and pal pad. I don't use Shauna's either since you already has so much draw already.

-2 Shauna
-1 Squirtle
-1 Pokemon Fan Club
-1 Exeggcute

+2 Random Receiver
+2 Pal Pad
+1 Magnetic Storm

Something you might try too is taking out Professors Letter
-2 Professors Letter
+1 Ultra Ball
+1 Startling Megaphone

bwpple said:
It would be a good better choice to remove the pokemon fan club because it wastes your supporter for the turn and multiple attackers are basic.
Blastoise would be soon powered up with rare candy on the second turn and you should be able to get the black kyurem out real soon.
I suggest adding a startling megaphone as garbodor would make you completely vurnurble and that one megaphone won't get the job done.
You could also add Mewtwo EX to the mix to counter any psychic weak pokemon as furious fist is coming out and fighting types are getting more popular.

Hummm Fan Club is there for the occasional need to use it, but I will probably swap it for Random Receiver.
As for Garbordor, so far one Megaphone has sufficed, specially when you run Dowsing Machine and Lysandre.
As for Mewtwo EX, there is no need for it. Everything it can kills, Keldeo and Black Kyurem kill too. It could oly be useful for a handful match-ups that aren't there yet. Maybe in the future.

pygohan said:
so I would do this to fit in random receiver and pal pad. I don't use Shauna's either since you already has so much draw already.

-2 Shauna
-1 Squirtle
-1 Pokemon Fan Club
-1 Exeggcute

+2 Random Receiver
+2 Pal Pad
+1 Magnetic Storm

Something you might try too is taking out Professors Letter
-2 Professors Letter
+1 Ultra Ball
+1 Startling Megaphone

Believe me when I say that I find myself LACKING draw power than not. Unless I get lucky with those Random Receivers and can use Pal Pads accordingly, I think I might miss those Shaunas... But I might as well try it.

There is no need for another Magnetic Storm yet and I don't feel like losing one Squirtle... So far I still miss them on T1 sometimes.

I also didn't felt any need to add another Ultra Ball so far and for the Megaphone, read above... But I DO rely on those Letters...

Your suggestions gave me an idea though... I might try to put it in practice...

Hello mates!

I came today with some news. This last Saturday, our local place arranged a small competition having the 1st prize as a Furious Fist booster box. That attracted 47 players to a 6 best-of-3 Swiss Pairs, Extended Format afternoon.

I managed to attain the 5th place of those 47 people with the version updated on the first post! (as of Aug 18th, 2014)

I know, I know, that Level Ball shouldn't be there if I want to use this deck in a Modified Format competition. I am seeking for a valid replacement for it.

So, first thing I noticed is that 1-1 Electrode line worked quite well. I had the Voltorb on prizes only in one game of one of the matches, and managed to set the Pokeball 'mon on every match with ease. It is a keeper.

Then, I noticed I barely missed Exeggcute and the Level Ball that replaced it made a huge difference sometimes. It is not that I am done with Exeggcute, it might come back, specially if I decide to replace Level Ball with yet another Ultra Ball.

Pokemon Fan Club deserves a highlight. It is a great supporter if you can find the right timing for it and is nice as discard fodder as well.

1 Megaphone did the trick, but I wasn't matched against Garbordor. Still, it proved to be worth due to Bangles, Bands and Charms laying around.

Finally, Lysandre proved to be one of the best cards in this list. I was about to lose against a Pokemon EX toolbox deck (basically Aromatisse with lots of techs) and Lysandre saved the day by letting me snipe that Aromatisse out of space at just the right time, winning the match having a Keldeo with 10HP and a Black Kyurem with 20HP and my opponent just 2 prizes from the victory.

I got matched against Frozen City once and Fairy Garden twice. Running 1 Magnetic Storm with Dowsing Machine has proven to be enough to fix these problems.

The only best-of-3 that I lost (costing me the 1st place, I am afraid) was against the worst match-up for a Blastoise deck: VirGen. Yet, I managed to win the 2nd game of that match, losing it for 1-2.

After all, the current list proved to be safe and fast. With Level Ball rotating away, I got some ideas on how to optimize my Supporter flow, based on previous suggestions you all made.

Without further ado, here is what I am currently tinkering about.

Current Thoughts:
I think the list is quite cohesive. It played nicely and whenever I lost, it was due to some bad decisions I made.
Anyhow, some opponents that I faced with this played Beach, which truly stepped my game up. Since I don't want (also can't afford) to include Beaches in there, I was thinking about going for some Pal Pad / Random Receiver combination of sorts. Here is what I have been figuring:

- 1 Level Ball (mostly because it will rotate out, it would be better if it could stay)
- 2 [W]
- 1 Professor's Letter
+ 2 Random Receiver
+ 1 Ultra Ball
+ 1 Pal Pad

These changes will turn this deck into a more aggressive version of itself, a little closer to the 2014 Worlds Senior Runner-up, which means fast set up, but less end game. Removing one Letter and 2 [W] would also change how I play this deck to begin with, so I would have to learn how to deal with that.

Also, I was thinking about 3 swaps, namely:

- 2 Lysandre for 2 Pokemon Catcher: This removes the supporter consumption Lysandre represents but adds a Flip to it. I don't like flips, but this might be worth at the long run. So far I have never run into a supporter lock with Lysandre and it has won me a lot of games though.

- 1 Squirtle for 1 Wartortle: This is due to the rising Trevenant and the upcoming Seismitoad EX popularity. While I haven't faced these threats yet, I figure a Wartortle can make quite a difference in the long run.

- 2 Shaunas for 2 N: Colress is definitely a no-go with this deck, it takes some time to get my bench full so it can work better and I hope to end the game by that point. Some suggested that the classical 4 N 4 Juniper might run better, while I myself like to have options between N and Shauna, in case N would refill my opponent's hand, for example. Still, I am not sure if 4 N is a way to go.

I am bumping this one up, as the rules allow me to do so.

I do so because I need some insight from those who might have played with Random Receiver and Pal Pad more than I did (which is easy, since I never used them before) to know how could I get them into my list.

Also, lately I have been thinking about swapping Electrode for Item based draw and / or maybe get that Exeggcute into the deck and work towards it instead of hoping it to come by.

Thanks!

Except for the Level Ball, everything else is legal for the next rotation.

You could probably replace the level ball with a fourth Ultra Ball and maybe one Squirtle with an Exeggcute.

xKetoblu said:
Bump. How is this deck going?

Thanks for your interest! I have made no changes from on the current list yet.

My current focus is trying to get some random receiver or pal pad in, but I am not sure what to replace.

That level ball will be replaced by an Ultra Ball to comply with the new rotation and I might get Exeggcute back in.

I was thinking about adding another Megaphone and swapping Magnetic Earth for Training Center so Blastoise can withstand some OHKOs.

What do you think?

pygohan said:
Actually I play a rather similar deck and he has just enough to get by. Bill isn't a legal card for competition unless it was reprinted in some later BCR set I'm not aware of.

I still think he has a few too many water could make room for something else.

Back