Writing Back to Short Stories, Enjoy The Latest One!

RE: The Midnight Man: Chapter 17 Is Posted! Can Nick Escape the Cops???

Ahh memories.

Chapter 18- Passing The Hours

Well, Paige Jogan would not be arriving for another few hours. I hoped that she would be able to get here alright, I had not gotten a chance to say goodbye. Meanwhile there were more pressing issues, such as dealing with the grieving Paige.

She sat across from me in an arm chair and sighed. “I wanna know what happened last night, but yet I don't at the same time. It all seems too horrible to be true.”

“Well, it is,” I replied. “And, in all honesty, I don't really wanna tell anymore of it than I already did on the way over here. There's really not much else to add other than the minute details.”

“That's what I figured. I don't wanna put you through telling me what happened anyways.”

I nodded in agreement. “Yeah, especially since I had to tell Paige about it just hours after it all happened.”

“She didn't force you, did she?”

“No! Of course not, she's not like that.” I shook my head. “What do you have against her?”

“Well, I don't really have anything against her, it's just that she comes off as preppy, or at least hangs out with those kinds of people. I don't like them,” she said.

“That's no reason to have something against her. I pretty much hang out with them too, it's just a part of high school, and they really aren't that bad anyways,” I countered.

“I'm sure if I talked to her and got to know her I wouldn't mind her. I just never thought you'd go for that kind of person, you know?”

I frowned. “I'm sorry, but I don't know. Are you saying you don't approve of who I like?”

“No, not at all!” she said hastily. “I just don't know her.”

“Well you should try to. She's gonna be coming over tonight anyways.”

“Oh, great. Well, don't tell her I said any of this.”

I laughed. “No problem. What do you have against “preppy” people anyways?”

“Oh where do I begin?”

She paused while I chucked. “Never thought you really had anything against anyone, Paige,” I said.

“Oh, believe me, I do. I'm a moody person like every other teenage girl. I just think that they always think too highly of themselves, that they're spoiled, and they always get what they want.”

I shook my head. “Believe me, Paige actually has a tendency to think lowly of herself.”

“I'm not saying that's her though. I'm saying that's what I think of preppy people in general. But why so? She seems smart and nice.”

“You know, I really don't have an answer for that. She honestly has no reason to,” I replied.

“Like why you think lowly of yourself? I'll never understand that.”

“It's just due to recent events.”

“But you're not that bad, I mean Paige likes you!”

There was a pause as I took a moment to breathe deeply. “But I'll be gone after tonight. I'm not comin' back. I'm gonna have to go into hiding, alone,” I said, making sure to enunciate that last part. “She's gonna forget all about me in a month or two, you know it's true.”

“Yeah, the heart does forget.”

“I don't wanna think about it right now. I'm gonna try and sleep I guess, pass the time faster.”

“Alright, I'll let you be,” she replied, standing up and walking into another room.

I reached into my pocket to grab my iPod. It was at that moment that I realized that I still had my cell phone on me. If the police got a hold of its number, they could track it, I needed to dispose of it.

“Paige!” I yelled. “Get me a hammer!”

She shouted back, “What for?”

“I need to destroy my phone!”

I could hear her opening and shutting drawers, trying to find a hammer. After a few moments, she returned with it. I grabbed it from her and began smashing the phone, and once I was done, I said, “We need to get rid of the pieces. When's your garbage run?”

She thought for a few seconds, and then replied, “Monday.”

“Alright here, put these in the trash so they can't be found. Now, I'm gonna try and sleep.”

She disappeared, holding the shards of what had once been my phone, my lifeline in the modern world. This time, I followed through with grabbing my iPod out of my pocket. I inserted the earphones into the jack and then put them into my ears, making sure that the one with the R corresponded to my right ear.

I sprawled out on the couch, resting my head on a soft pillow that was at the end of it. I clicked the button to turn my iPod on and slid the arrow to unlock it. I scrolled through my collection of 70's and 80's music for a short time before deciding on Journey's Raised On Radio album. Even as the first song began to play, I knew that I would not be able to fall asleep, music playing or not. I could not make peace with my mind, I could only sit there and think.

My mind drifted. I thought of what I would be missing once I disappeared, and yes, this actually included school. I would miss my teachers, especially Mr. Cestaro's quasi-funny anecdotes, as he called them, and even my Spanish teacher just because she actually cared about her students unlike so many in the teaching profession. I would miss seeing my friends, laughing, surviving school one step at a time with them. Heck, I would miss their constant talk of how I was obsessed with Journey, how they were not even a good band, just to know they cared enough to make those statements just to mess with me. I would never get to graduate with any of them.

There would be no more best friends to talk to, well, that one would not hurt as badly because one of them would have been Gopp had things not gone sour with him the day before. But Paige Barenowski, on the other hand, I would truly miss. While I had only become good friends with her since freshman year, it still seemed like we had been best friends for a long time. How odd it would be to no longer have her to talk with.

Oh how many memories I had with her. We actually were a couple for a span of three and a half weeks from February to March freshman year. It had ended poorly, she broke up with me through a note, and actually almost ruined our friendship when she got back together with her old boyfriend just three weeks after she had broken up with me. That would be one thing I would never know for sure; had she used me to get him back, or was there once, truly something there? I do not think I will ever know the answer to that question, nor do I really want to.

Well, time heals all wounds, and eventually everything went back to normal, or however normal anything involving me could be. As it had happened in my dreams, I thought back to when I had liked Paige Jogan at the end of that school year and had almost fallen for short Paige again, which I am not sure why that happened, especially after she had more or less treated me like garbage during those few months. I now have absolutely no desires to have her be any more than a friend.

And then something happened over the summer between freshman and sophomore year. While I actually got a girlfriend, who I would waste about six and a half months with only to find out she was no better of a person than Paige when it came to a relationship, there were two boys now set on dating Paige. After having to deal with them being near my locker everyday once the new school year began (due to our last names beginning with the letter “B,” Paige and I always had lockers near or beside each other), I hated them both.

The first one that I knew about, Matt, was just annoying. There is no other word to describe it, he was immature, which in my book is annoying. However, I could stand him, but the other one, Garrett, I despised more than I have ever despised any human being before. He was a combination of Squidward and Justin Beiber. His voice was high and nasally, he never said anything, and he just looked like one of those terrible people who you just want to punch. That trait right there should have cued me in for what I would have to deal with in the months to come, should Paige choose him. And, she chose him.

At first, I was like fine, I can deal with this, no big deal, her relationships usually went no longer than a month, an amount of time that I could put up with this kid. Then, it turned into two months, and she was already complaining about him, saying she had issues with him. Knowing the way Paige was with relationships, I just waived it off. I said she was being overly obsessive and should back off.

Then the third month rolled around, and they traded phones, which first off is just stupid, but who am I to question love since I rarely have experienced it? He went through her texts, so much for trust. I thought he was at fault as she was telling me this, but it got worse. She had cheated on him with Matt, the second day of her relationship with Garrett.

Well, after sorting all that out, surviving her tears, January and February went by uneventfully. Then in March, things took a turn for the worse. He was referring to her as a psycho girlfriend and she just kept blaming herself for the entire failure that the relationship was. I pointed out that he was just using her bad act of the past to get away with whatever he pleased, but she ignored me. Why listen to the guy who has seen the writing on the wall for the past couple months? She stayed with him.

And, like any other year, spring break finally arrived after weeks on anticipation. This spring break, I got my wisdom teeth out, so much for a great time. Well, by the end of the week, my face was more or less back to normal except for some slight swelling, but that went away by the middle of the next week. It was Saturday night, and I had texted Paige for the first time in a few days since I had been in pain and in a fog due to the Oxycontin I had been prescribed to take. She told me to get my phone, and at that moment I knew that something had gone horribly wrong.

Now, this is proof that I am a terrible person: I actually was hoping they had broken up. If they had, I would never have to deal with that kid again. But of course, they had not. However, like I had thought, something was seriously wrong. She had been hanging out with him that Saturday afternoon, I of course was thinking how could this have possibly gone astray?

Well, since Paige was in the process of losing her house, which her mother got the court to extend the date since she had children in school, Garrett had come over to help pack up Paige's room. Now, Paige had been saying that she had been eating a lot over spring break since she had nothing to do. Apparently the moment he saw her, the very first thing out of his mouth was 'wow, you've gained weight.'

Who, in their right mind, says that to a girl, especially their girlfriend?! Believe it or not, it got worse. He did not help to pack up anything in her room nor when they went fishing would be do anything romantic. He could not get it through his head why she would only want to watch him fish. Then, he said he had to go home early, when in fact he had called his mother to come get him early. And this relationship lasted until September, and when it was done I did a Tebo pose in thanks.

As I lay there on the couch I had to smile. I remember seeing it on Facebook and commenting how anyone would like her status of being single again. And then Gopp, lo and behold, both liked it and said how sorry he was that it ended, yeah right! None of us were sorry, I certainly was not going to lie about that. He was just glad he could have a chance with her now. Looking back, I do not think Gopp was all that I believed him to be, and I do not think I was what others thought I was.

The Raised On Radio album ended, so I decided to go with the album that had started the collection, Steve Perry's Street Talk album. I had gotten it in either September or October of my freshman year and it had started the goal to collect all the albums to do with Journey or Steve.

Anyways, now that my thoughts had been interrupted, where was I going? Oh yes, Gopp. Well, there were multiple times that he had lied, and I knew he was, I just never really said anything. For example, he would always complain that his parents would take away his phone and iPod without reason. However, there were many times when I was over at his house when he would mouth off to his parents, more than I had a tendency to do. No wonder he had them taken away! That, and his grades in school were mediocre at best, and he was a smart kid, I never understood why he never tried any harder than he did.

Before Garrett and Paige had broken up, all he did was interrupt what I was saying to her in an attempt to take her mind off of it. He would remind her of it and tell her how bad it was, then give her a hug and walk away with her before I had even finished my sentence. I should have known at that point that as long as they were together, we could be friends. It was like he expected her to just ignore me completely when he was around. Hello, I'm her friend too and have known her for a lot longer than you have! That is what I was left thinking every time this happened, and it happened a lot.

And then I got to thinking, there is not one honest person in the world and anyone who claims they are is lying. I will freely admit that I do not always tell the truth, but I can assure you that, other than the names, this story is the complete truth. For example, many a time I have texted a girl and they have not responded until hours later saying that she had gone to a friend's house and left her phone at home. But, when going on Facebook during the time she was not texting me, I could clearly see she had recently been online from her phone. Now, do not think this obsessive that I noticed this as it is hard not to since on the app on my iPod there is a bar along the right-hand side that shows one's favorite friends and when they were last on. On multiple occasions, with different girls, I could see they had been online, from their phone, during the time I had attempted to contact me.

The only thing I can say is that I wish they would have just told me the truth that they did not wish to text me. It would have made life so much easier as I would not have to constantly be wondering if they were ignoring me or had a legitimate reason.

At this point, I began to doze off. I would wake up everyone once in a while during which I would change what album I was listening to, and then immediately fall back asleep.

I dreamed while I slept. I dreamed that Paige Jogan found someone else and forgot all about me, which was bound to happen eventually, but the thought of it hurt. Then, I died in another, no one missed me or even cared that I was not among the living anymore. While I cannot stand seeing people grieving over the death of a loved one, this hurt. There was no emotion or acknowledgment that I was gone.

I felt someone tap my shoulder, and I fell from the sky into the house and landed onto the couch. My eyes opened and I could see both Paiges looking down at me. The time had come, I had to say goodbye and summon the Midnight Man one last time. Then, it would be all over. I was ready, ready for my destiny, ready for my future of loneliness. There was no turning back, my chances of not following through vanished the minute Gopp was killed last night. There were no alternatives or loopholes, there could only be one action taken and that was ending the Midnight Man's reign of terror once and for all.

RE: The Midnight Man: Chapter 18 Is Done! The Final Chapters Have Begun!

Whoa, the description's intense as always. Keep up the great work!

I'm mad at you... So not gonna post till you don't end it :/

oshi I just posted *facedesk*

Anyways good job really enjoying this.

^ Lol, I'm really sorry but it has to end. I already have the story drawn out in my mind and now just need to finish putting it to paper. And don't worry, I'll still be doing stuff with it, I'm going to edit it a few times, repost that for critique, then take it down so that I can submit it to a publisher.

Only a little bit more to go.

Chapter 19- The Final Summoning

I looked into Paige Jogan's brown eyes. That was how I began my final minutes with her as later there would be no time since I would be preoccupied with the Summoning process.

I took my earphones out and paused the music. “How much time until midnight?”

Short Paige answered. “Fifteen minutes.”

My eyes grew wide. “You let me oversleep?!” I shouted.

“No, you needed it,” answered Paige Jogan. “You have no idea how exhausted you've looked all day today.”

I sighed. “Yeah, I guess you're right. But I really didn't sleep that well, my dreams bothered me. Paige, I dreamed that you completely forgot about me after I left.”

“Now you know that won't happen!”

Blond Paige walked out of the room. I assumed that she must be getting the stuff together that I had written down for Paige Jogan to procure. I looked at the ground, unable to look Paige in the face because I knew if I did, I would lose control of my emotions.

“Paige, you need to completely forget about me.”

“Nick, no-”

“There's no other way. Forget about what will happen here tonight and forget about what we had. Move on, for me,” I said, interrupting her.

“But tonight, we'll be going through this together,” she shouted.

“Yes, but you are not going to write your name down. I alone will do that.”

I began to move my gaze to look at her, but when I realized she was crying I looked upwards toward the ceiling. Then, I lost it. I stood up and pulled her into a hug, crying into her shoulder even though tears were streaming down her face. “I'm sorry,” I kept repeating.

I heard footsteps in the hallway and broke away, wiping my eyes and trying to hide my sudden outburst of emotion.

In the hallway stood the other Paige. “Here's the stuff, Nick,” she said quietly, acting as if she had seen what had just happened, but was unwilling to comment.

I took the items from her and laid them out on the floor. I placed the slip of paper on the coffee table and scribbled my name onto it, then proceeded to poke the flesh of my left thumb with a pin that she had handed to me. After the single drop of my blood had fallen to the paper, I licked the salty liquid away from my thumb and laid the pin down beside the paper.

I walked across the room to the front door and placed the slip of paper in front of it. I handed Paige Jogan the crucifix. “Listen to me, hold my candle, and once I have opened the door, blow it out. I'm then gonna take off and try to finish him off with the crucifix. You understand?”

She nodded. I sat back down on the couch while short Paige busied herself turning off all of the lights in the house. We sat there in the darkness, the only light coming from my iPod that I was going to use to time the twenty-two knocks.

The next ten minutes passed slowly. No one said anything as there was nothing left to say. We could only enjoy each other's company in the final moments before I left my old life behind forever, or, rather, what was left of it. Most of it had died the night before along with all of the others. And then, it was time.

As I rose and made my way to the door, Paige Jogan lit my candle and held onto it. She then handed me the crucifix. “Thanks for everything,” I said. Then, I began the knocking process.

KNOCK! Total silence as the night before, nothing moved outside, there was no light. It was as if the world had stopped, except for my hand which now came into contact with the door once again. KNOCK! The clouds swirled, it was all so familiar now as this was the third time I had done it. I felt a hand grab my arm as if trying to prevent me from knocking, or maybe it was just out of fear. KNOCK! As I was expecting, a figure began to form. It began taking shape in the center of the gravel driveway.

KNOCK! The figure continued to form from the void of darkness beneath it, most likely leading to the depths of hell. I would have been frightened, but I was used to this by now. I knew that the Paiges would be scared beyond belief, but they did not stop me. Whichever was gripping my arm, most like Paige Jogan, tightened her grip. KNOCK! Now it was completely formed. The Midnight Man had entered the world of the living for the second night in a row. Soon, with any luck, he never would again.

And for the sixth time, my hand struck the door. KNOCK! He just stood there, watching the house, as if he knew that I was inside. KNOCK! The figures of demons began to form around the Midnight Man, probably the same ones I had seen the night before. I was ready to exact my revenge upon them. KNOCK! More figures, the more that formed the more their demonic features, such as horns and hooves, were visible.

KNOCK! Fear filled the air. The hand grasping my arm tightened even more, I could feel the finger nails threatening to pierce my skin. I gripped the crucifix tighter, but continued to knock. KNOCK! Ten done, twelve more to go. I was going to make it through this ordeal!

The smoke that had surrounded the figures when they had formed remained, but no new beings appeared. KNOCK! And with that knock, the smoke immediately dissipated. KNOCK! The demons dispersed, beginning to take their positions all over the property. They were ready to kill any human that set foot on it.

KNOCK! Unlucky number thirteen. The Midnight Man now stood alone on the gravel driveway, staring directly into my eyes. I could feel the hairs on the back of my neck begin to stand up and the goosebumps beginning to form from the chill of his presence. KNOCK! He took a step forward, and then another. KNOCK! He was slow moving at first, but soon he walked at a faster pace. I pulled the metal cross closer to my chest.

Again, KNOCK! The Midnight Man was now on the walkway to the front door of the house. KNOCK! Five seconds, and knocks, to go until it was midnight, it was almost time to confront him. KNOCK! He had made it to the front porch.

My hand made contact with the wooden door once again, KNOCK! A dark hand reached out, getting ready to grab onto the doorknob, waiting for me to let him inside. Little did he know that I had other plans in store. KNOCK! He now gripped the doorknob. KNOCK! The moisture from the rain on the window was beginning to freeze. I felt a coldness, which I was now accustomed to, but still made my fingers begin to ache.

KNOCK! And with that, all hell broke loose.

I flung open the door and charged, holding the crucifix out in front of me, not even caring if Paige had blown out my candle. The figure on the porch, the one that had entered the house last night, stumbled backwards. “Shut the door and don't follow!” I screamed.

There was the sound of the door slamming. My moment of hesitation, waiting for that sound, had given the Midnight Man the head start he had needed to run back to the driveway. Demons, the ones I had seen last night, were beginning to assemble around him. Then, several raced forward at me, attempting to take control of me, force me to drop the crucifix as to make it easier for them to kill me. The touch of its holy power would destroy any of them who I hit with it.

I swung it out in front of me, hitting one of them directly on its horned head. It crumpled to the ground, turning to the ash that Satan himself had composed the ungodly creature of. But, there were too many, far more than I could reasonably deal with at once. I destroyed another, but then I felt the hands of one on my shoulders. If I became possessed, it was all over!

“Nick!” I heard Paige Jogan scream.

The sensation of the hands disappeared and I was able to cause the rest of them to take off running back to the Midnight Man. He still stood in the driveway, but around him, the abyss leading to Hell was beginning to reopen. He was going to return before I could stop him!

I turned to make sure Paige was alright just as the demon, probably the one who had almost taken control of my body, picked her up. She screamed. “Help me!”

I did not think twice, I went after her, but it was all in vain. The demon had gone over to the porch, where through the window, the other Paige watched in horror as it turned Paige Jogan upside down. Her hair fell backwards, almost touching the concrete porch. The demon thrust her downward, hard, onto the concrete. It pulled her back up, and though it was dark and I was a couple of yards away, I could see blood beginning to trickle down her forehead.

The demon hit her head against the porch again. By then, I had gotten over to the porch. I raised the crucifix and jabbed the bottom of it into the demon's back. It disintegrated and Paige fell to the porch, her head once again hitting the concrete.

Paige emerged from the house. “Go Nick, I'll take care of her!”

I hesitated, but then turned and ran to the driveway where the demons were beginning to return to hell. The Midnight Man was still in the middle of the dark portal. He must be keeping it open! Now was my chance, and I was going to take it. I sprinted across the yard and dived at him, my hand outstretched in an attempt to jab him with the crucifix. I missed and fell into the abyss.

As I fell, I turned towards the direction that I had entered only to see the Midnight Man falling just above me. He was in range so that if I threw the crucifix up just a few feet I could hit him. I needed to do it quickly, darkness was beginning to surround us and it was difficult to see. I really was descending into the bowels of the Earth.

Using what little strength I had left after the events of a minute or two ago, I threw the heavy, metal cross upwards. The Midnight Man attempted to move out of the way, but it managed to graze his hand. There was a flash of white light, and an ear piercing scream, one that sounded like that of a fallen angel. Hissing and crackling could be heard as he began to turn to ash. Bursts of white light, like fireworks on the Fourth of July, from the dying Midnight Man illuminated the abyss that I was still falling through.

The light then turned blinding, bursts of flame shot off of the illuminated body as he began to disappear in the forming cloud of ash which was beginning to fall onto me. Another scream, then there was a brief moment of silence before there was an explosion. I covered my face with my hands in such a way that I could still see what was going on over me. Then, there was silence, the hissing sound stopped, the ashes stopped dropping onto my clothing, and the light, as quickly as it had begun, started to fade and soon I was in complete darkness.

I continued to fall, knowing that this was the end. The crucifix was gone, I had seen it ricochet off the Midnight Man and go off in a different direction. This was it, but at least I had ended his reign of terror. I had accomplished something in my life now, made it meaningful. While I was going to die for my actions, at least I had saved several future victims from his evil.

I remembered at that moment that I had forgotten to give the letter to short Paige to give to Paige Jogan. It did not really matter now as she was probably gone, but it could have been a comfort in her moments before passing on. I guess I would be with her soon enough.

I closed my eyes and began to recite the Lord's Prayer. Now, I am not an overly religious person, I believe that has been stated before, but I also prayed silently to God, thanking him for everything that he had given me in my life. Thanking him for great parents because even if I did not always get along with them, they had my best interests at heart. I asked for forgiveness as I felt responsible for the deaths of my friends the night before. I then made one final request, that I could see Paige Jogan again in heaven and that she would not be angry with me as I could not save her life.

“Amen,” I finished, and then opened my eyes again. Now, I was able to see light below me, but it was a shade of orange and red. It was the fires of Hell and I was about to fall into them. I could soon make out the forms of the demons falling through the abyss below me.

“One more thing God,” I said out loud. “Please do not let me be trapped down here for all of eternity. Please,” I pleaded. “Amen.”

Not wishing to see myself hit the lava, I closed my eyes and began crying. While I could not see them, I could feel the tears beginning to drip down my face. Then, I slammed into a hard, rock surface.

I first felt pain from hitting the rock. And then despair of those who were doomed to the Lake of Fire. I opened my eyes and saw that I had landed on what appeared to be an island in the middle of the Lake. Slowly, I sat up and looked at my surroundings.

It appeared that the depth of the lava was shallow as I could see the torso and face of those who had done wrong in their lives and been damned. There were looking at me, unsure what to do. Overhead there flew winged demons, like buzzards circle their next meal. Above them was the roof of a cavern.

Back on the island, I noticed a staircase that appeared to lead downward to another level. There was a bright red glow emanating evil and a smell of sulfur and brimstone filled the air. I knew then that the Devil was approaching, and I was doomed.

RE: The Midnight Man: Chapter 19- The Final Battle Begins

And don't worry, there's still an epilogue after this!

Chapter 20- Return

It is amazing what we have to go through in life, all the trials and tribulations that must be overcome just to survive. The worst thing I have ever had to go through has been liking someone who does not like you back, something I like to refer to as being “strung out.” Yes, that is taken from a Steve Perry song, but it speaks the truth about the situation. Now, this was the hardest challenge leading up to my involvement with the Midnight Man that had begun over the summer. Then that ordeal was replaced by the one I had gone through just the previous night when so many of my friends had been killed. As I lay there, on the island in the middle of the Lake of Fire, I knew that the most difficult was yet to come. How was I going to make it out of Hell without anything to protect me?

My focus was no longer on the demons circling me above, no it was now on the staircase that something was approaching me on. That something was none other than Satan himself, and there was nothing I could do to save myself. I took several steps backwards before stopping myself, if I continued to back up, I would find myself waist-deep in lava.

I racked my brain, attempting to find some way, really any way, that I could escape. But nothing came to mind, I was completely exhausted both physically and mentally. I was out of ideas.

None of the demons or other inhabitants moved, they just remained where they were, watching me, waiting to see what would happen. There was no sound except for the constant bubbling of the lava. Staring down the staircase, I could now make out a figure. Horns were beginning to come into view. They were not like those of the other demons I had fought recently, they were longer, thicker, and much more sinister feeling. Below them there was a tuft of jet black hair, darker than the nighttime sky when the Midnight Man arrived. There was a tint of scarlet to the hair.

The air, once thick with the stench of sulfur and brimstone, now was filled with evil unlike anything I had ever felt before. “Somebody help me!” I screamed, but I knew it was no use.

This was the end, I had accomplished my task of slaying the Midnight Man and was now going to be slaughtered, mercilessly, by Satan. My time was up, there was no denying it, I just stood there, on the rocky island, awaiting my fate.

At that moment, right when I began to see the red, evil eyes peering through the darkness of the stairway, there was a flash of white light above me, and as I looked up, the demons who had been flying around me scattered. A crack appeared in the cavern wall, and soon it completely crumbled away.

There stood a figure dressed completely in white giving off a light brighter than that which I had seen when the Midnight Man had been killed. It stepped off of the ledge that had formed when the wall had been broken through and levitated several hundred feet off of the ground, looking down at all the damned, and then at me.

Turning back to the stairs, none other than Satan himself appeared, and began walking towards me. Frantically I looked around for any possible way of escape, but could find none, unless the angelic figure could do something. But when I looked back up where it had entered the cavern, it was gone. I shifted my gaze and found myself looking into his eyes. I was paralyzed by both fear and the powers of darkness that allowed him to control the vast armies of demons which surrounded me.

Then, behind him, rose up the figure dressed in white. The Devil was pulled off of his feet and thrown back down the staircase by some invisible force. Now that he was gone, I could more clearly see the figure, whose arms were now raised as it had tossed Satan away. The figure's face came into view and I could clearly see it was Paige Jogan.

“So, you did die then?” I asked.

“It's not the time for questions, Nick,” she said, nodding.

She held out her hand, and I rushed forward towards her. Once it was firmly within my grasp, she began to drift back up to where she had entered Hell. “It's all over now,” she said quietly.

“Um Paige, not to be the bearer of bad news, but I don't think it is!” I yelled.

Looking down, I could see that Satan had climbed back up the stairs and how had tens of dozens of demons before him, instructing them to attack us. After a few seconds, they all took off flying in different directions. I looked back at Paige, who even in this grim circumstances managed to smile. In her hand that was not holding mine, a smaller, more moveable crucifix materialized. “We're not done yet,” she replied.

I took it from her and prepared to do battle with the fallen angels that surrounded us. As if they were testing whether or not we were serious, one demon flew in extremely close. I swung at him with the cross and caused it to fall down to the island below and explode in a burst of ash. Then, several more began flying in at us while the rest began to close in.

“We need to get back to the tunnel you made!” I told her.

She nodded, and then swerved sharply as I picked off several other demons in the process. But as we got closer, it was clear that my idea might now have been the best. Multiple demons surrounded the hole in the cavern wall.

“Hold the cross out,” she instructed me.

I did so, and she picked up the pace at which we were flying towards it. Many of them immediately flew away, but a few remained, clearly not sure of what fate awaited them if they came into contact with the cross. Or maybe they were just frightened of Satan's wrath if we managed to get away. They disintegrated upon coming into contact with the cross.

We entered the tunnel that she had created as to free me. She landed and I let go of her hand. “Is there any way to seal this up?” I asked as I observed the huge amount of demons that were currently flying directly towards us.

She nodded and lifted her hand. “Yep,” was her reply.

Rock began to form over the opening until it was completely gone. Then, there came the muffled sound of someone, or in this case something, ramming into rock. “They're coming, Paige!” I yelled.

“I know, take my hand again.”

I did so, and soon we were flying through the tunnel. “How long will it take to get back to Paige's house?” I asked.

“It should be about fifteen or twenty minutes,” she said.

There was a loud smashing sound behind us, they had broken through the newly reformed rock barrier! “Will it be enough time?”

Her expression turned grim. “No, probably not. We'll have to fight at some point.”

She quicken the speed at which she was going through the tunnel, but I knew it was no use. There was no outrunning Satan's army of demons, we were going to have to fight for our lives at some point. I just hoped that we would not be trapped down here forever.

The seconds ticked by in silence, and soon became minutes as we flew through the tunnel, waiting for the demons to appear. I was in the mindset that I was going to need to fight my way out, and therefore held the crucifix close so that I could swing outward if needed.

The tunnel itself was narrow, and there were points where Paige and I had to lower our heads as to avoid hitting them on the rock above us. It appeared to have been carved quickly, so I could only guess that she had broken through the rock as quickly as possible. There were patches that were wider than others, and ones where I felt as though the rock was closing in around me. It was also very steep. There were sections where it was almost going straight up and had no incline to walk on.

The tunnels grew increasingly cold and damp the farther we got away from the Lake of Fire. The heat from it could not reach so far away, but I could still feel the evil that lurked below. Or perhaps it was simply the demons gaining on us. Slowly, that feeling faded away and I began to think that we were in the clear. I was wrong.

As we came to a section with an extremely low ceiling, Paige touched down onto the highly slanted rocky floor. “We're gonna have to walk, sorry,” she said.

“That's fine. For how long though, we can't afford to be moving at such a slow pace for long.”

“Not very, it should only be for about one hundred feet or so. We'll be flying again in no time, trust me.”

“Alright, you're the one who dug this, somehow.”

The tunnel would have been pitch black had it not been for the light that was coming off of Paige. We moved slowly as to avoid bumping our heads on the ceiling. The path we were on was very rocky, and there were multiple times I almost tripped and just managed to prevent myself from face planting. Paige moved with ease in front of me, the steep, rugged terrain not fazing her in the slightest.

After we crawled through this area for about thirty seconds, the tunnel began to grow wide once again. “Well, we can move faster now,” she told me, holding out her hand.

Just as I reached out my own to take it, there was a rumbling below us. The entire tunnel began to shake, and loose pebbles began to break loose from the ceiling and fall onto us. “Grab onto me!” Paige shouted over the rumble.

I tried to, but the ground between us began to crack and break apart. Dust from the broken rocks shot up into the air, making it hard to see. I debated whether or not to jump across this break in the path, but my decision was made for me once four or five demons sprang up through the fissure. I swung out with the crucifix, hitting one of them and causing it to plummet back into the ground fracture that it had created.

However, there were still multiple others that needed to be dealt with, and there were two blocking me from getting to Paige while two others attempted to attack her. I kept them back using the cross, but was unable to charge for fear of one of them possessing me while I got the other. Paige screamed, and there were bursts of white light behind the demons blocking me.

Then, there was more rumbling and more of the tunnel began to collapse. There were more demons coming, I had to attempt to get to Paige! Not caring, I lunged forward, immediately killing one of the demons while the other one tried to grab me, but it was all in vain. I got him as well. I tried to run forward and help Paige, but the roof of the tunnel was beginning to cave in as more of Satan's army surrounded us.

Within seconds, we were cut completely off. “PAIGE!” I yelled.

There was no reply. In fact, there was no sound coming from the blocked off section of the tunnel at all. All I could hear was the sound of hellish creatures rushing through the tunnel towards me, and I could have fought back and defended myself, the only problem was that I could not see. Total darkness had surrounded me as the light Paige gave off could not penetrate through the rock that now divided the path that she had created.

Blindly, I swung out with the crucifix, hoping to hit something, even if it was rock, just so I knew which ways I could and could not thrust. I missed entirely and ended up getting air. I had no way of knowing if I was aiming at the collapsed ceiling or the oncoming demonic assault.

Spinning around blindly, I prayed that I would at least discover which way I was facing, but it was no use. It were as if they could see me and were holding back, just to leave me in my state of confusion until I became tired enough they could kill me with ease. Well, it was working. Slowly, my strength was leaving me. I had used so much of it already and even though I had slept much that Sunday, it was fitful and not restful. The adrenalin was beginning to wear off and I could barely stand up. I was drained physically and mentally, I do not even know how I was maintaining a state of consciousness.

Seconds passed, and as my eyes became adjusted to the dark, I could begin to make out several red eyes, or perhaps they were dots. Then, I fell to my knees, and soon was laying down on the cold rocky floor of the tunnel. That was it, I was finished. At this point I could only hope that the demons would kill me quickly and mercifully. That was the only wish I had at this point.

My vision clouded over and the red eyes began to close in. They were definitely not red dots, they were demons, I was sure of that now. Two of them grabbed me and began to drag me down the tunnel back to the Lake of Fire.

Then the tunnel began to shake and the ceiling around me began to collapse. Well, at least I would not be thrown into the Lake for all of eternity, I could die now and just hope that my spirit would not be trapped down here. But it was the strangest thing, and at first I thought I was just hallucinating. The rock did not fall down, but instead was thrown upward and disappeared. A white light shown through the newly formed hole.

Bursts of white began flying out of it and striking the demons that were my captors. The light continued to flash and beams of it shot out constantly until each and every soldier of darkness had been turned to ash. Descending down through the hole and eventually landing in front of me was another figure dressed completely in white. I looked to try and see the face, but I blacked out.

* * *​

I awoke with a start. I was on the gravel driveway where I had first entered the portal in order to pursue the Midnight Man. Short Paige came sprinting across the lawn towards me and kneeled down beside me. She helped me to sit up.

“Nick, are you alright?” she asked, but did not pause for an answer. “It was the strangest thing, Paige died in my arms, and then the body was gone.”

I looked down at her arms, they were covered in fresh blood as if the murder of Paige Jogan had just happened. “How long ago did she die?”

“Minutes,” she replied.

So while I was gone time on Earth had either moved slower, or in Hell it moved faster! “Paige, you won't believed what happened. I stopped the Midnight Man, and then found myself in Hell, but then Paige Jogan, well her angel I guess, rescued me, and then we were cut off but another angel saved me.”

“Slow down Nick, let me help you to the house.”

She gave me her hand and helped me to stand up, and out of the corner of my eye I noticed two figures dressed completely in white standing by her garage. I broke free from her hand and sprinted over to the garage. Paige Jogan was the one I recognized immediately, but the other one took a second. I believe it was my grandpa, but before I could comment, he nodded and then disappeared in a shimmer of light.

“Paige, thanks,” was all that I could say.

She smiled and then gave me one last kiss on the cheek. “I have to go Nick, I'm sorry.”

Tears welled up and began to pour out of my eyes. “Before you do, I want you to know I'm sorry you died, it's my fault.”

“No,” she said firmly. “If you could have saved me you would have, and I know that. And I want you to know that I'll always be with you.”

“I know,” I whispered, barely able to talk from the crying.

She stepped back from me and disappeared in a shimmer of light. I collapsed on the gravel driveway in tears as Paige put her hand on my shoulder in a futile attempt to comfort me.

RE: The Midnight Man: Chapter 20 Is Posted: The Epic Conclusion

So, Nick goes to hell, yet he did something good for all beings on Earth? Is that possible? (Don't worry, I'm just wondering. Great ending there.)
Also found a mistake.
Within seconds, we were cut completely off. Incorrect ordering of words. It should be either 'cut off completely' or 'completely cut off'.

Looking forward to the epilogue!

Thanks luckyfire! And I wouldn't say he goes to hell forever, he goes there to stop the Midnight Man. And the idea was that he had the fear of remaining there forever if he died down there

Well everyone, it's been fun, but now here's the epilogue. When I started this book back in October, I had no idea that anyone would enjoy it, especially Paige Jogan who gave me the support I needed while writing the book. If ever published, the book will certainly be dedicated to her.

And here's the conclusion to what has taken 6 months of my life to write:

Epilogue

Now, as I click the save button one last time, I can finally be done with this sorrowful tale. It is all true, every last word of it, even the names. Paige Jogan died that night, and I still blame my self for it, no matter what she said. I am also responsible for the deaths of the others and I hate having to live with that fact. In fact, not only did they die, but a part of me has as well. I live as half a person, knowing that after I have finished recording this that I shall have nothing left to live for.

That night, after Paige Jogan left forever, I did not stay in Paige's house. I left immediately and went to the local cathedral. While I might not be Catholic, I figured that if anyone was willing to help me, it you have to be the priest there. His father was my neighbor for a good number of years before we moved into a new development into a larger home and I had gotten to know them both over the holiday season one year. I went in haste there and found him completing midnight mass. He took me inside his office, and I explained everything that had happened. While I am unsure if he believed me or not, he gave me shelter nonetheless.

A few days after I had first arrived, he came to me while I slept in one of the cathedral rooms. “Nicholas, you were just on the news and have been declared missing.”

I had been gazing out the window, seated in an old, wooden rocking chair. “Yeah, I knew it would happen sooner or later,” I replied, continuing to watch the world go by.

“Shouldn't you go back to your parents, let them know you're alright?” he asked.

I sighed. “But they'll make me stay with them and answer any questions the police have about what happened to all of them. How can I respond?”

“Well, certainly not with the story you told me.”

“It wasn't a story-”

“My apologies,” he interrupted, “events.”

“Thanks. And I'm serious, all of that really happened. You're a priest, haven't you done or seen an exorcism?” He nodded in reply. “Then surely you, of all people, know that demons exist. And as a man of God you've seen miracles?” Again he nodded. “Then it's not unlikely that Paige and my grandpa returned to help me.”

I did not turn to face him but instead kept looking out the window. Without seeing him, I knew that he was staring at me, questioning what I had told him. His eyes burned into the back of my head. He wanted answers and I had no more left to give, other than to recite the events of that weekend again.

I opened my mouth to speak, but he had begun talking so I shut it. “Maybe if you told me what happened again, I would be more inclined to believe you.” he said.

“Sure, you're just checking to see if anything I say changes. That's fine, it's not a bad idea, but I can tell you right now, none of it will be any different from before.”

Now I turned to face him and noticed that he had sat on the cot that I was sleeping in. I started from the beginning, Friday, and went through all the events of that weekend all the way up to early Monday morning. I told of my dinner with Paige, the summoning, how I survived only to summon the Midnight Man once again, and finally how Paige had rescued me from the depths of Hell. This took a good hour, and once I had finished I leaned back in the rocking chair.

Without a word, he rose and left the room. A minute or two later he returned with a glass of water which I happily drank. My throat had become very dry after talking for that entire hour.

“Nothing changed,” he said after I was finished downing the glass of water.

“I told you it wouldn't.”

He took the glass from me. “The police would never believe you.”

“No, they wouldn't,” I said shaking my head. “They'd think I killed them.”

He nodded. “I, and the parish, are here in your time of need.”

I remained there for several more weeks until I decided that I had been there long enough, sharing the priest's fund for food and other such necessities. Finally, one night, I decided to sit down and to write what had happened and turn it into a book. Names were changed, but the events stayed exactly the same.

Within a few sleepless days, with breaks only taken for food, water, and to use the bathroom, I had completely written what had happened to me over the course of those four days that had forever changed my life. I could never return to my home, spend time with my family, or even set foot in my high school again. All those dreams of college and leading a meaningful life were gone. But I did not feel regret because I had avenged the lives of my friends, they had not died in vain. That had been my goal since 3:34 A.M. November 1st and it had remained that way all the way to the end. Now, I was at that end. There is nothing left for me in this world.

So, as I sit here at my desk, writing the last several paragraphs, I began to wonder what ever happened to Paige Barenowski. Was she still living, or had she committed suicide? Suicide actually seems plausible to me now that her boyfriend was murdered and her best friend, me, is no longer able to talk to her. I knew that she was losing her house and that she was having issues with her family. I wonder how much more she could take. Well, I will know soon enough if she is in Heaven or remains on Earth.

Then my thoughts shifted to Paige Jogan who I had been thinking about since the time I first arrived at the cathedral. Was she looking down at me even as I write this? Perhaps she was, and she was wanting me to join her in the clouds and in eternity. Soon I shall rise from my desk, leaving a note requesting this to be published and the profits to go towards the benefit of the parish. I am sure that the priest shall edit this accordingly so that the same message is still conveyed.

I will walk over to my closet and take from it rope that I have so carefully procured and formed into a perfect noose. Then I shall use the desk chair to hang myself upon the light fixture in the room. I do not know how God feels about such actions, but I can hope that He will allow me to be with Paige forever. I also hope that he realizes I have nothing left now that I have finished this story, this is my way from living a hollow existence and using the cathedral's resources. I no longer wish to take from them, I want to replenish them with this book.

In my final moments, as I position myself to kick the chair out from under me, I shall think of only Paige Jogan. The magic moments and the time we spent together, laughing. And of course all the memories of you, and then I will see your face and your brown eyes will meet mine and you will be smiling at me. Oh how long since I have held you near, but soon you will come back again because you are right here when I think of you.

Soon, I will be with you, and we can have that meaningful relationship that we never had the time for here on Earth. I have tried to forget the night that you left. It is all so unreal with you gone, and I can dream once again and see your face one more time. Then, the chair shall be kicked and I will soon be gone.

It will only be a matter of minutes now Paige, so hold on, just for a while. Hold on for that short amount of time until we may be together again.

Hold on, I am coming.

THE END

RE: The Midnight Man: Epilogue Is Posted, Enjoy the End of the Story

Sweet and cute conclusion to such a magnificent story. I have high hopes it gets published. ;]

Are these based on real events or not? I am sort of wondering.

What Articuno said. I like the ending. :D

...and I'm also wondering the same thing. Is all of this real, or none of it?

Thanks :) Well, the truth is that I do like Paige in real life, but she doesn't like me back, and probably never will... This story was really just a way for me to dream about what things could be like if we were ever together. All the people are real, but the events aren't.

EDIT- I was considering writing an Author's Note to explain all of this, such as my relationship with Paige and where it ISN'T going, but then decided it would be better not to write the story of my foolish heart, I really would not like to relive that...

A little note, I have taken a break from editing (mainly because I'm waiting for Paige J to help me), so I'm going to be starting a new story. Details need to be hammered out still, but look for it in the next month or so.

I'm mad at you... You just end a perfect story, and then expect me to give you advice... And don't-- I'll help edit it :) give me sometime to comb through it hardcore and I'll post here if you'd like :)

I'll letyou now when I need help, thanks!

Just read start to stop, was a fantastic story. Thank you for sharing it with us.

Greetings from Columbus Ohio. And always look for the Wheel in the Sky.

A little venting, but I needed it. Enjoy the song (click on the title).

Strung Out

A good friend of mine once said that there is always one crush that you cannot get out of your head, one that will remain there no matter who you date or end up with, one, that in my case, led to a hopeless pursuit that has now spanned almost three years. Well, three years is not accurate, I should say that I first began to have feelings for her three years ago, and despite the other girls that I have liked, two of which I have dated, I have always found myself back liking the girl with red hair. It is hard to explain why I continue to have feelings for her as I do not even understand it. She has not always treated me well, in fact quite recently she has been almost downright mean. However, for me anyway, there is always a connection there that I do not have with any other girl.

It was December of my junior year of high school when the feelings for her first resurfaced. I had just dropped my Advanced Placement calculus class and had been moved into the normal calculus class and I had been switched to a different period for my physics class. I was seated directly in front of her, so we began to talk a little more than we had in the past six months, which was actually the last day before summer vacation. I had not gotten her cell phone number that day, and summer came and went, taking all feelings she had for me and throwing them to the wind. It was just like those emotions were simply dust in the wind, they did not mean anything.

Perhaps now was my chance, maybe I could reform those feelings in her that I had managed to keep during that cruel summer where I had essentially been left all alone. Sadly, it appeared as it was not yet to be. December came and went, and soon January began. I started to like someone else in an attempt to get my mind off of the girl with red hair. This proved to be disastrous as once again I liked someone who did not like me back.

The months passed slowly and seats were rearranged for the new quarter in physics, we were moved apart. However, I did try and talk to her daily, which I was able to do, and eventually one girl took it upon herself to teach me to flirt and, with any luck, get the red haired girl. Those lessons have stopped now, I am not sure why. Maybe it was because I was so terrible that the pale girl gave up, or maybe we both gave up as it became clear that the girl with red hair was not interested. Whatever the reason, I now find myself at the end of April, not knowing what to do, but just as before, filled with feelings for the girl with red hair.

Now, the fourth quarter led to yet another seating chart in physics, and the pale girl and the girl with red hair both sad directly behind me. It appeared that fate might be giving me another chance, it was like the higher power was giving me another chance. But, alas, it would be in vain. She has absolutely no interest in me on some days, but on other days all she does is talk. It is a rather strange predicament as I do not know what to think. I cannot judge whether she feels anything for me or not and do not know how to act from day to day.

She either is the friendliest person I know, or one of the harshest. Since there is no pattern to her mood, I cannot develop a consistent plan as to talking with her. She feels nothing for me, perhaps she hates me and is merely using me to help her with her schoolwork, primarily physics. I am strung out; she likes someone else, I am certain of it, and I, unfortunately like her. It is a curse. Maybe being placed next to her in that class is a punishment of sorts. Like that of Tantalus who has all the food he could ever want surrounding him in Tartarus, but whenever he attempts to reach for it, it moves away from him.

Close, but no cigar has more or less become my motto when dealing with the girl with red hair. Like last year, I was so close to actually having a relationship with her, but as previously stated, summer ruined that. And now, she sits right behind me and we are talking more than we have this entire year, but she likes someone else. While I always seem to get another chance, it always ends in yet another failure.

Now, I have been told by the girl with tattoos, the one who I had liked for a couple of months earlier in the year, that I should not wait for her to come after me, I should pursue her. However, the issue with that logic is that it never works, at least not for me anyways. The two relationships that I have had were because the girl wanted to date me and I decided to give it a shot. It is never what I want, it is always what the girl wants.

Despite the fact that the girl with red hair knows how I feel about her, she continues to pursue another guy, a lot of the time it ends up being right in front of me. Now whether she knows I am standing nearby remains to be seen. She does not care how I feel about her, she simply goes with what she feels. I am not saying that it is a bad thing because one should be allowed to follow his or her heart, but it would be nice if there was at least some acknowledgment of it. Then again, when has she ever really cared that I have liked her? I believe that last year was the first time, all the other times she wanted nothing more than to ignore me, make me disappear from her life. So, after all of that, why do I still have feelings for her?

That is something I have not been able to answer for the three years that this has been going on for. I do not think I will ever be able to. My heart always goes to her, which, based on scientific studies, could be attributed to our similar IQ levels. Or perhaps it is because we share the ideals of the Democratic Party. We are both liberal, something that is hard to find at the school we attend. But, even with those reasons offering some explanation, what else is there? I cannot simply see myself falling for someone based off of those two reasons alone, there has to be something else. True, she is a very cute girl, but I never base my feelings off of looks. I base them off of a personality since I really have no looks to return. I am not attractive now, nor have I ever been. I am out of shape, always wear my hair the same way, and have strange interests.

So why then? Why am I repeatedly strung out and hung up on her if she repeatedly has treated me like I am nothing? Maybe one day, years from now, I will have an answer, but for now I can only wonder what the reasons are.

As for now, I am considering giving up as the pain from a heart break is not worth holding onto the tiniest glimmer of hope. I have, more or less, given up all hope I have of actually having a relationship with her and I have lost all faith in the concept of love. A fellow student of mine once said that love is dead him, and I am beginning to believe it is dead for me as well.

Maybe I am one of those people who will never find the right person, one of those who will grow old alone and have no one to provide care in the later years of life. Sometimes I think that I will be the forgotten one, the one who nobody calls upon or talks to. Perhaps I will end up as the old acquittance who was forgotten, the one who we raise a glass to in the days of Auld Lang Syne.

I am alone right now, more alone than I have ever felt, and all signs around me point to the fact that it will be worse in years to come. I have lost all confidence in myself because of the girl with the red hair. I no longer believe that I can do anything, but it was not a humbling experience. I was humble to begin with. Therefore all these feelings have done is push my self esteem lower than it already was.

It is not worth it to fall for someone, I do not think that I will be falling again for quite some time, maybe never again. I am tired of being strung out, I want someone who will match my feelings for them both in thought and action. But, by this point, I have accepted that it will never happen, I have accepted my fate of being alone.

All I can hope for is that, in a few years when we have all gone to college, that the girl with red hair might think of me and feel remorse for the way she treated me. I hope that at that moment she realizes just how much I cared about her. She will hard pressed to find another who does if she continues to treat those who like her the way she does.

Maybe, by then, I will have found someone who cares about me as I do them, and I will no longer be strung out as she will be. Then I hope that she will be jealous and become strung out and realize what she threw away all those years ago. I have often said that this is something I would never wish upon anyone, however the one exception to this is the girl with red hair. May she feel the same pain that I have felt for all too long now.

Someday, she will look back upon this and think how stupid she was, is what I am told. It is highly unlikely she will ever feel that remorse; I can only hope that she does.

There was so much emotion behind the whole thing, I don't even feel the need to make any corrections on the text. Very heartfelt and wonderful writing.

Back