Help Attackers for Malamar?

xstxphoenixx

Aspiring Trainer
Basically I started playing TCG just before Ultra Prism came out and stopped soon after (because my local isnt very local to me) and have only been using a Metagross GX deck all this time and I kind of like its play style.

Anyway I want to get back into playing again and heard Malamar is very similar to Metagross having the same ability? The only difference is Malamar isn't much of an attacker so I just wondered which Pokémon I should considering using, why and how many of them and what to do in a mirror match?

Since Metagross doesn't get used I've never had to deal with a mirror match before.

Anyway thanks in advanced for the help.

Malamar is used with either Ultra Necrozma GX or Necrozma GX. Which one you use is up to you, but I prefer Necrozma GX simply because Ultra Necrozma requires 1 steel energy and psychic energies to attack. Necrozma GX only needs 3 colorless energy which would be the Psychic you run in the deck.

Necrozma GX requires 3 energies to attack and forces you to discard all psychic energies attached. Then, it does 10 damage + 60 for every Psychic energy that was discarded this way. This means you will be hitting for 190 (220 with choice band) damage when you load up 1 Necrozma to attack. You also have a GX attack that does 100 damage to all of your opponents EX and GX pokemon in play.

Since Malamar only allows you to attach energies from your discard pile to your benched Pokemon, you will need to play 2 Dawn Wings Necrozma with a lot of float stones. This will allow you to use Dawn Wing Necrozma's ability, Invasion, to bring it up from your Bench to your active while moving your Necrozma GX to your bench. Then you will use Malamar to reload the energy on your necrozma and your Dawn Wings should have a Float stone attached so you can simply retreat into your newly reloaded Necrozma GX.

Most people are playing a copy of Mewtwo GX in their decks for the mirror match. Dawn Wings Necrozma's GX does 180 damage and cannot be damaged during your opponents next turn. This attack can only be used if you have more prizes than your opponent though (which means you are losing), but it can turn the tides of battle. Mewtwo GX's GX attack would break through this because its attack is not affected by any effects of your opponents Pokemon.

I think that's the jist of it, if you have questions just let me know!

Thanks for that.

Can Max potions work with the deck or not really? As I used 4 Max potions when I played Metagross.

Thanks for that.

Can Max potions work with the deck or not really? As I used 4 Max potions when I played Metagross.

You can, but deck space is really limited and I have not seen a list that uses them. There are also quite a few Pokemon that can take 1 shots which would make Max potion irrelevant (Necrozma gx has 180 HP and Ultra Necrozma GX has 190 HP). Max Potion worked really well on Metagross because almost nothing can hit for 250 HP.

Sorry to bother you again but will this deck work without float stones? As do they rotate out soon?

It is going to be a lot more difficult to make the deck function, but I think it will work. You can replace the Float stones with Altar of the Moone. The only downside is that you will have to have at least 1 energy attached to your dawn wings before you can retreat and your opponent can also use it.

Back