XY Are the names of the new Pokémon fairly original?

Xerneas

Pokémon Master
So am I the only one who thinks the names we have seen so far for X & Y Pokemon are original?

I believe there the best names since GEN3 :D

RE: Original Names?

It's only been 5 pokemon, but I will say the names are....unique. If it continues like this we might get another set of semi difficult names. (Alomoloma 0-0)

RE: Are the names of the new Pokemon fairly original?

Yes I mean all 5 have cool names and are not hard to say :)

Not really. Froakie sounds dumb right of the bat, Chespin makes me think of a combination of chess and bowling (however that would work out), and Fennekin is just generic. The legendaries are basically an example of one consistency in Pokemon: over-the-top characters with horrible names. I mean, they don't exactly roll off the tongue like Lugia, Ho-oh, and Groudon did. They needed names that are pronounced the way they look when written out. I can imagine how hard of a time kids will have figuring out the right way to pronounce them without having to look it up online or something. I mean, even I keep saying Yveltal as Yv-el-tall because that's how it looks like it's supposed to be pronounced (and don't get me started on how Xerneas looks like is supposed to sound).

Incinermyn said:
Not really. Froakie sounds dumb right of the bat, Chespin makes me think of a combination of chess and bowling (however that would work out), and Fennekin is just generic. The legendaries are basically an example of one consistency in Pokemon: over-the-top characters with horrible names. I mean, they don't exactly roll off the tongue like Lugia, Ho-oh, and Groudon did. They needed names that are pronounced the way they look when written out. I can imagine how hard of a time kids will have figuring out the right way to pronounce them without having to look it up online or something. I mean, even I keep saying Yveltal as Yv-el-tall because that's how it looks like it's supposed to be pronounced (and don't get me started on how Xerneas looks like is supposed to sound).

I call it ye-vet-all and zern-e-ous

I don't like froakie or chespin, fennekin sounds weird but I like how it looks.

I think we're gonna see more cofagrigus's and kyurem's I know that for sure.

The names haven't really gotten any worse. Maybe even better because nowadays Pokemon tend to have better names besides things like Muk, (not including Pokemon like Milotic, which are not literally their name).

Incinermyn said:
Not really. Froakie sounds dumb right of the bat, Chespin makes me think of a combination of chess and bowling (however that would work out), and Fennekin is just generic. The legendaries are basically an example of one consistency in Pokemon: over-the-top characters with horrible names. I mean, they don't exactly roll off the tongue like Lugia, Ho-oh, and Groundon did. They needed names that are pronounced the way they look when written out. I can imagine how hard of a time kids will have figuring out the right way to pronounce them without having to look it up online or something. I mean, even I keep saying Yveltal as Yv-el-tall because that's how it looks like it's supposed to be pronounced (and don't get me started on how Xerneas looks like is supposed to sound).

Agree. Even the guys coming up with the names are confused on how they're pronounced. See Virizion and Kyurem.

I'm sorry but I just have to bring up the amazing naming skill that is Talonflame.
10/10 most creative name ever

What makes up a good or bad name? Some people prefer simple or complex name...

The names are the same standard as ever. Some are really simple, some are not, everything hast a reason, etc.

With Talonflame I can say "why" though, because... uh... is there supposed to be a pun there I have missed? However, it doesn't bother me. The name itself sounds good...

I say they are still the same.
Pidgey=Fletchling
Kangashkan=Yveltal

I've never seen much point in complaining about a Pokemon's name. I nickname all of mine anyway.

I like the original names, Xerneas and Yveltal will take some getting used to though.

I don't really care that much about the names. Like slashman just said, I'm gonna name all my Pokemon. Though I hate if the names are a pain in the butt to pronounce. xD

So far, I haven't seen any I really don't like. Besides Flabebe. Wat is dat name supposed to be? >:D

Incinermyn said:
(and don't get me started on how Xerneas looks like is supposed to sound).

Huh?

"Zerr-nee-uss" is the only way it "looks" like it'd be pronounced. That's the pronunciation anyone would immediately assume, and it's the one they went with. What other way could you possibly have thought it looked?

Talonflame didn't bother me too much until a friend pointed out that they should have spelled it "Talinflame", because then it wouldn't look as dumb and it would have an actual identifiable pun.

I'd say the rest of the names are about as original as Pokemon names go; nothing especially good or bad. I only have a problem with Fletchling because for some reason I find it really awkward to pronounce.

Pineapple X said:
I don't really care that much about the names. Like slashman just said, I'm gonna name all my Pokemon. Though I hate if the names are a pain in the butt to pronounce. xD

So far, I haven't seen any I really don't like. Besides Flabebe. Wat is dat name supposed to be? >:D

I nickname most of mine too (some funny ones, some endearing ones).

Sawk and Throh bothered me at first in Gen 5 and thought Beedrill was a lackluster name growing up, but I've grown to be fine with them and most pokémon names.

I think the Pokemon have great - easy to pronounce - names.
In fact, I never get confused with Pokemon names!

Reggie McGigas said:
I dislike the names. Gogoat? Scatterbug? Not to mention Talonflame!

I will admit that some Gen 6 names have been rather... bland? uninteresting? different?

But, other than Talonflame, I actually like the lot of them. Only 'Go Gogoat' will sound silly in the anime :D

Frezgle said:
Talonflame didn't bother me too much until a friend pointed out that they should have spelled it "Talinflame", because then it wouldn't look as dumb and it would have an actual identifiable pun.

Agreed with you there, Frezgle. A simply letter change would make a huge difference -- and would put it on the same level as 'Honedge' (two words essentially combined with the pun intersecting the words).

Back