Are Donks Really Unhealthy for this Game?

I think the issue is not about donks being so bad, but about why going first sucks so much. 99% of the time you want to go second after seeing your opening hand. To me that says going first is too limited. If they just let you play supporters (but not trainers or stadiums) it would be much more ballanced. You still wouldn't be able to evolve, but you would be able to set up some more basics.

Macheap gets donked too easily. They usually go first, and they almost always start with a lone Machop.

Just hope you don't get donked on your way to top cut, and hope you play well enough to beat those decks that accidentally donk you when you're there.

~L_X_F

I experienced a donk in a Galade SP deck that I ran a long time ago. I started with a lone Galade SP, went first and got a terrible hand.

I knew my opponents deck well since he's my league master. I called his move before he played it and he simply smiled and sat the cards down. He had a Charmander on active, a vulpix on bench and cyndiqil on bench. He played Pokemon Collector, Rare Candy to Charizard and Fire energy. He suddenly had a full bench and a 1 energy attack strong enough to donk for the win.

Sad thing was, I had several basics in that deck, most with high HP. I just got a terrible hand and he got the perfect hand. Donks, mostly, are luck and require no skill to pull off.

Only other donk I experienced was when I ran a Fossil Rush deck and I got sable donked. I had the misfortune of going first with only one basic (Old Amber).

StealthAngel667 said:
Currently donks kinda balance things out between the setup decks and the speedier decks.
Setup decks win the long matches, speed decks win the short ones.
It's never fun of course. You came and paid to play a round, not a minute.

Hmm, the way I see it the new Time Limit favors Speed decks more than decks that Setup in order to win.

I don't think Pokemon will change that rule, today I donked 2 people at a tournament! I guess it's justa part of the game, and to me donking is fun! Because it's hard to pull off, and you need to think about it...

Not if all it is is Phanpy energy BTS donphan GG. >.< It's not really that fun, and pokemon is meant to be fun.

Do explain to me how the following scenarios require thought.

"Oh boy he has 1 basic only, I have Machop, Rare Candy, Fight Energy and Machamp"
"Hmm I have a Sableye and a Special Dark and a Crobat G, his only basic has 60 HP..."
"Tough one, should I slap this Expert Belt on my T1 Kingdra Prime to take care of his Luxray GL start?"

No. Donks do very rarely require any skill. There are rare instances yes, but generally they really don't.

I think donks are just a part of the game, but it does kind of stink to not even get to see how matches play out because of donking. Donks in my humble opinion are kind of cheap. I think that going first should not be so debilitating. If we wre just allowed to play supporters it would make a world of difference. In most decks it is ideal to go second because you can make more of the turn. Going first is like wasting a turn.

@ Lou Cypher, I agree that donks do not take much thought, but you have to built your deck to be consistent enough to donk, which does take lots of practice and skill to do. Given I dislike donks, (only Sableye really, oh boy I didn't even get to draw...) It is a big part of the game, and you should be able to modify your deck to help prevent them.

I think donks aren't very fun for anyone, even if you donk your opponent, is there really a great deal of satisfaction from what would mostly be a luck-based win? It's true, there are decks that exploit "the donk" but there are decks that exploit a lot of "non prize card drawing" wins (e.g. Glistomb abuses time being called). No, there isn't much skill in donking, but in a tournament I doubt if my opponent had all the necessary cards to donk, he would avoid doing it. He/She'd take the win and be on their merry way.

People use the term "consistency" a lot but sometimes in Pokemon no matter how "consistent" your deck it, unless you have 50 basics in your deck, there is always the POSSIBILITY that you can get donked. There may be skill involved in playing, but in the end, bad luck is bad luck.

Back