Any Moveset Suggestions?

GarbodorLover

Check out my art thread, "Abstract Pokémon Art"!
With all the different kinds of Pokemon moves, it is hard to create a strategy for teams (at least for me). Could anybody help me create a good stragety for my Pokemon Y team? Please?

NOTES
*I do not want to change my Pokémon's abilities, and natures don't matter to me if they have high enough stats.
*I need a move slot saved for Surf, Fly, Rock Smash, False Swipe, and Sweet Scent.
*I cannot have any egg moves or transfer moves, as my Pokemon were not hatched or from another generation.
*I already fully super trained all of them, and EV's are too complicated for me.
*I tossed many held items along my journey, so I'd be happy if you have several options.
*I don't use status moves that often, but feel free to put them in the movesets anyways.

MY POKEMON W/ NATURES & ABILITIES
Naughty Vespiquen With Pressure
Mild Charizard with Blaze (Y Mega)
Hasty Chesnaught with Overgrow
Hasty Lucario with Steadfast (Mega)
Docile Lapras with Water Absorb
Naughty Hawlucha with Limber
Impish Steelix with Rock Head

If you leave any suggestions, thanks.

What sort of format do you want to use the team for? Singles, doubles, in-game, battle spot singles/doubles?
The reason I'm asking is because some moves (protect, stealth rock, roar) are only good in certain formats. Also, it may be hard for a lot of people to rate with the amount of restrictions you've given.

In general, try accurate and decently powerful moves. Earthquake, Thunderbolt, Ice Beam, Flamethrower, X-Scissor etc. are all great moves with accuracy, power, and PP. Additionally, they are all TMs and can be learned by many Pokemon. (also you listed 7 Pokemon when you can only use 6 on a team).

I can answer your questions, grantm1999.

1. I mostly only do single battles, but I prefer a team that is flexible enough to work on all formats. For example, if Steelix uses Earthquake in a triple battle, Charizard and Vespiquen would both be immune.

2. I listed 7 Pokemon because one of them is always in my battle box, and I rotate Steelix and Vespiquen every so often (depending on if I want to use Sweet Scent.)

Just build a new team instead of using your in-game team if you want to win. If you just want to casually battle then do whatever you want, but if you want to be as successful as you can, changing your movesets won't make up for the fact that you're using lackluster natures, inferior abilities, wasted moveslots for HM's, and mediocre pokemon like Vespiquen.

Also if you find EV's too complicated, there are plenty of great guides out there online. I think we even have one on PB floating around somewhere in the competitive section.

I'm not really trying to play competitively, I just want good move sets for the Pokémon I already have (just in case a friend challenges me.) I might be wasting slots for HM's, but I need them in the single-player part of the game. Also, each move I need a slot for (except False Swipe) has a benefit:

Fly and Rock Smash can be powerful if they are used as a STAB move.
Sweet Scent allows my Pokémon to take a hit, and can lower the attack stat of each Pokémon in double and triple battles, too.
Surf is the most powerful HM move.

Overall, I just want good move sets, but not necessarily a good team.

You could always have a dedicated HM slave or 2 that you can switch out. I don't know what you're talking about when you say that Sweet Scent can lower Attack stats or that Rock Smash can be powerful (40 base power). Also you have 7 Pokemon listed so...

The least terrible Vespiquen moveset would probably be Toxic, Substitute, Attack Order, and Roost/ Heal Order. Pressure goes well with Toxic stalling. Protect is an option over Attack Order for more stalling capability, but you'll be total Taunt-bait. If this is just against a friend now and then, than you're probably fine using Protect over Attack Order unless you think they'll use Taunt. Roost vs Heal Order depends on whether Roost making you just mono-Bug type on the turn you use it is cool with you. It does make Vespiquen less weak to Rock, Electric, and Ice, and the side effects of making you only single resist Fighting and resist Ground instead of being immune to it are pretty much negligible, not to mention Vespiquen is slow anyway, so it probably won't matter because you lose the Flying type after your opponent moves most of the time, so I'd say Roost is the best option. Leftovers is the best item by far, but Sitrus/Lum Berry are okay, too. Maybe Assault Vest or Rocky Helmet? If you don't like/ can't for some reason use this set, other decent moves are Defend Order, Power Gem, Air Slash, U-Turn, Bug Buzz, and Sludge Bomb, maybe Chesto Berry + Rest. Toxic stalling is still the best option.

For Charizard go with Fire Blast, Solar Beam, Earthquake, and Roost. You can use Focus Miss over EQ if you want, but the accuracy is annoying. Personal preference really.

Funnily enough, Chesnaught can also be used as a Toxic staller, only this time with Leech Seed and Spiky Shield for even more residual damage. Use Spiky Shield, Leech Seed, Toxic, and Substitute. If you don't want a second Toxic-staller/subseeder, replace Substitute/Toxic with Hammer Arm and maybe the other move with Wood Hammer. Leftovers is best, Lum Berry can be used to heal annoying status, Rocky Helmet is good for even more damage, Assault Vest would raise its already mediocre Special Defense. I'd say go with Rocky Helmet because Vespiquen could use lefties more. Seed Bomb can be used if you want to trade Woodhammer's power for lack of recoil. Other decent moves include Taunt, Bulk Up, Dragon Claw, Earthquake, Roar, Shadow Claw, Stone Edge, and Poison Jab.

For Lucario use Swords Dance, Close Combat, Extreme Speed, and Stone Edge/Rock Slide( less power, more accuracy). Shadow Claw can be used over SE/RS if Ghosts are more annoying than Flying types. You can also use a Special set with Nasty Plot, Aura Sphere, Vacuum Wave, and Flash Canon/Shadow Ball. FC to hit Fairies or SB for Ghosts/Psychic types. IMO, Shadow Claw has better coverage, but Flash Cannon is STAB. You could run both instead of Vacuum Wave, but Lucario needs priority to make up for its lackluster Speed. I'd say make Charizard your Mega because Charizard is terrible if not Mega and Lucario can operate fine without it. Use Life Orb or Lum Berry. Maybe Expert Belt.

For Lapras, you could try a set with Ice Beam, Thunder Bolt, Surf, and Heal Bell/Perish Song. Heal Bell to heal status for Lapras or another member of your team or Perish Song to force a switch/ KO something you couldn't otherwise take out. Leftovers is, as usual, the best, but Sitrus Berry works, too, and other members could use lefties more. It's also an alright idea to use Rest in the last slot and go with Chesto Berry.

If you can get a Power Herb, give it to Hawlucha and teach it Swords Dance, High Jump Kick, Acrobatics, and Sky Attack. Use Sky Attack once with Power Herb, then use your newly boosted Acrobatics. Otherwise you may want to not use an item at all and replace Sky Attack with something like X-Scissor, Poison Jab, or Stone Edge/Rock Slide. I'd Say SE/RS is your best option as a replacement. Maybe you could use Lum Berry/Life Orb and replace Acrobatics with another one of the previously mentioned moves.

And finally, for Steelix go with Earthquake, Gyro Ball, Stealth Rock, and Dragon Tail. This is your best bet, but you could otherwise go with Crunch, Roar, the elemental fangs, Autotomize(although you'll want to get rid of Gyro Ball), Stone Edge/Rock Slide, Curse, or Payback. Best items in order are Leftovers, Sitrus Berry, Air Balloon, Assault Vest, and Rocky Helmet. Chesto Berry +Rest over Dragon Tail is also decent.

Thanks for the help, Cinesra. I'll definitely be using those movesets. Although, I've replaced some of the status moves with HMs. However, I have one problem. Is there any good move to replace Charizard's Solar Beam. The route 21 strength puzzle is tough, and even though there are tons of walkthroughs, I already did half of the puzzle and I don't know where I left off.

UPDATE (5/26 8:23 P.M.): I found a pretty good moveset for Charizard that does not include solar beam. I am now able to create new movesets for all my Pokémon.

Back