• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard Anti Meta ZoroBox

AFEX

Serena is too cute!
Hello Pokebeachers! Ever since seeing Kartana GX teched in (some) variants, mostly ZoroGarb, then I had seen some people doing a Zoroark Counter Energy toolbox, and they weren't hitting the mark with it, thats not what I intend to do. This deck is essentially Zoroark along with every meta counter, using Rainbow energy to tie them together. This is a rough draft so I know its not perfect.

****** Pokémon Trading Card Game Deck List ******
##Pokémon - 15

* 4 Zorua SLG 52
* 4 Zoroark-GX PR-SM
* 2 Tapu Koko PR-SM
* 1 Xurkitree-GX UPR
* 1 Kartana-GX CIN
* 1 Mimikyu GRI (Copycat)
* 1 Sudowoodo GRI
* 2 Tapu Lele-GX GRI

##Trainer Cards - 36

* 2 Acerola BUS
* 2 Brigette BKT
* 4 Guzma BUS
* 3 Multi Switch BUS
* 2 Switch SUM
* 2 Field Blower GRI
* 4 Ultra Ball SLG
* 2 Professor Kukui SUM
* 3 Choice Band GRI
* 2 Ultra Space FLI
* 4 Cynthia UPR
* 2 Mallow GRI
* 3 Rescue Stretcher GRI

##Energy - 10

* 4 Rainbow Energy SUM
* 4 Double Colorless Energy GRI
* 2 Blend Energy LPM ULP

Total Cards - 60

****** Deck List Generated by the Pokémon TCG Online www.pokemon.com/TCGO ******

Strategy/ Main Idea:
Use each individual Pokemon as counters for specific matchups. Using Zoroark GX for draw support

Card explanations-

Tapu Koko- Used as a damage spreader and free retreater, the free retreat used to retreat into what you want to.

Kartana GX- I use it for Blade GX, then its 70 damage attack to shuffle it back in the deck. Ive considered cutting it for an Oranguru ULP.

Xurkitree GX- I use this for its ability to not be damaged by Pokemon that have Special Energy attached, which is nice for stalling a short period of time while I setup another attacker, occasionally I'll use Lighting GX.

Mimikyu- Used as a counter for Buzzwole and Lycanroc, I've considered subbing it out for Latios (SHL).

Sudowoodo- The main Zoroark GX counter, keeping the opponents bench small to keep Zoroark GX from using maximum damage output.

Like I said, this is a rough concept any advice is appreciated to make this better.

Potential Sub Ins-
Oranguru ULP
Buzzwole FBL
Latios SHL

Thanks!
~AFEX

I hope you didn't purposefully neglect N. You kinda need it so Buzzwole doesn't do what Buzzwole does (be the linear deck that it is). Mewtwo is also probably a necessity. Mimikyu goes down easy and doesn't really get the job done(don't drop it, just play Mewtwo as well). You also don't play Puzzles, which makes Zoroark good.

I hope you didn't purposefully neglect N. You kinda need it so Buzzwole doesn't do what Buzzwole does (be the linear deck that it is). Mewtwo is also probably a necessity. Mimikyu goes down easy and doesn't really get the job done(don't drop it, just play Mewtwo as well). You also don't play Puzzles, which makes Zoroark good.

The thing I kinda didn't mention is that this is for post rotation... so that's why you may not see certain things.

Just wondering, should I bump the Zoro line down to 4 Zorua 3 Zoroark GX?

Because I might need more than 1 tech on the bench at any certain point. Given I have 1 Lele on the bench most of the time.

i think something that's worth thought is cutting the brigette/fan club idea all together in exchange for nest balls. i feel like nest balls are the way to go just because fan club doesn't achieve all that much for a supporter. i wouldn't include ultra space just because of the one pokemon (there's really no advantage to search xurk with ultra space over nest balls) even though searchable e-hammer is great. zoroark is just consistent enough that you don't need excessive search power after you get going, hence the nest balls. and i think baby buzz is probably a good edition. latios is also very cool, so maybe 1-1 of latios/koko? doesn't sound very practical, but i guess nest ball + zoroark engine can really get you whatever you want when you want it.

other cards to consider (including some that haven't been released):
  • tate and liza
  • acro bike
  • dunsparce
  • deoxys attack form
  • dusk mane promo
  • dedenne (gimmick with koko promo that can 1 shot u-necrozma after a spread and can 1 shot ray without a spread)
  • stevens decision? (not sure its that good in this deck)
  • lpm keckleon (haha don't)
because of the nature of this deck, it's teching options are insanely large, so i'm sure there are other good ones that i haven't mentioned.

i think something that's worth thought is cutting the brigette/fan club idea all together in exchange for nest balls. i feel like nest balls are the way to go just because fan club doesn't achieve all that much for a supporter. i wouldn't include ultra space just because of the one pokemon (there's really no advantage to search xurk with ultra space over nest balls) even though searchable e-hammer is great. zoroark is just consistent enough that you don't need excessive search power after you get going, hence the nest balls. and i think baby buzz is probably a good edition. latios is also very cool, so maybe 1-1 of latios/koko? doesn't sound very practical, but i guess nest ball + zoroark engine can really get you whatever you want when you want it.

other cards to consider (including some that haven't been released):
  • tate and liza
  • acro bike
  • dunsparce
  • deoxys attack form
  • dusk mane promo
  • dedenne (gimmick with koko promo that can 1 shot u-necrozma after a spread and can 1 shot ray without a spread)
  • stevens decision? (not sure its that good in this deck)
  • lpm keckleon (haha don't)
because of the nature of this deck, it's teching options are insanely large, so i'm sure there are other good ones that i haven't mentioned.

I agree with what your saying, I would definitely make these additions.

Can I ask why you are already making a counter deck? To make one, it is kind of important to know the meta, which we don't.

Can I ask why you are already making a counter deck? To make one, it is kind of important to know the meta, which we don't.

I can easily predict the meta will be malamar and buzzwole, those are two gimmes.

Hey @AFEX!

If your going for a straight Zoroark GX/Counter Box, there are a few other options that can be utilized in this deck. Here is a list that I would suggest that fits most if not all of your criteria (if not, feel free to let me know and I'd be happy to revise the list in order to accommodate for it):

****** Pokémon Trading Card Game Deck List ******

##Pokémon - 18

* 4 Zorua SLG 52
* 4 Zoroark-GX SLG 53
* 1 Tapu Lele UPR 94
* 1 Buzzwole FLI 77
* 1 Shaymin SLG 7
* 1 Tapu Koko PR-SM SM30
* 1 Kartana-GX CIN 70
* 2 Mimikyu GRI 58
* 3 Tapu Lele-GX GRI 137

##Trainer Cards - 31

* 4 Cynthia UPR 119
* 3 Choice Band GRI 121
* 2 Switch SUM 132
* 2 Acerola BUS 112
* 1 Field Blower GRI 125
* 4 Guzma BUS 115
* 2 Mallow GRI 127
* 2 Nest Ball SUM 123
* 2 Pokémon Fan Club UPR 133
* 3 Rescue Stretcher GRI 130
* 4 Ultra Ball SUM 135
* 2 Judge FLI 108

##Energy - 11

* 4 Counter Energy CIN 100
* 4 Double Colorless Energy SUM 136
* 2 Rainbow Energy SUM 137
* 1 Fighting Energy 6

Total Cards - 60

****** Deck List Generated by the Pokémon TCG Online www.pokemon.com/TCGO ******

Card Choices----------------------------------------------------------------------------

1 Buzzwole (FBL): This will be your biggest asset as a Zoroark GX counter. I know you prefer Sudowoodo (GRI), and while that is an okay option, Buzzwole is able to get you straight out K.O.s unlike Sudowoodo. If your able to keep your opponent at four prizes, then you can steamroll through their attackers until the game is over. As for the single Fighting Energy (which is obviously meant just for Buzzwole), you play one just in case you run up against an Xurkitree GX in which case your doomed without it.

1 Shaymin (SHL): With Lycanroc GX still lurking about (which is still uncertain when it comes to post-rotation), Shaymin provides an easy way to remove that threat from the board as long as your able to pull it off. Shaymin is somewhat fragile though and if your opponent recognizes it as a major threat (if they are playing Lycanroc GX or any other Grass weak Pokémon like Greninja GX), they will target it down if you bench it early, so be wary of that.

2 Nest Ball (SUM): Having around five potential techs to search out can be painful if your only looking for a specific one, so playing Nest Ball allows you to search them out individually when needed. It is also another way of grabbing an extra Zorua if you open the game with a Nest Ball in hand.

Potential Techs-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Copycat (?): The only reason I didn't throw a few copies of this card into the list is because I'm not sure whether or not Copycat will be around and if it will be legal in the time frame your preparing for (mainly due to the fact that I don't know what set it will be reprinted in). I'm pretty sure it will be legal, but I'm just making sure. Either way, make sure you through some of these in when the time comes as they will be a big asset to be utilized.

Acro Bike (Charisma of the Wrecked Sky): It has been quite some time since I last played with Acro Bike in a deck, so I'm not sure how it will effect the meta when released. I expect it to do well in Zoroark GX and practically any variant you choose, but I haven't put it in because this is really up to you whether or not you want it (and because it would make you a whole lot weaker to Garbodor).

Dusk Mane Necrozma (PR): The first attack is what I would like to put emphasis on with DMN (and this is the non-GX promo I'm referring to). The Dusk Shot attack is a great way to soften up opposing attackers and to bring them within OHKO range. Not to mention being a one prize attacker (the one downside is that you have to attack Rainbow Energy to it in order for you to attack with it, so that brings it within OHKO Range of opposing Zoroark GX. This also works for Buzzwole (FBL), so that would probably be the only reason I would play Sudowoodo (GRI) as you were).

Frost Rotom (ULP)/Keldeo (SHL): If you are afraid of Fire type variants in your are, either (but probably not both) card would be good options to counter them. Since I don't see any viable Fire types post-rotation with Volcaion EX rotating, I'm not expecting it to do too well (but I could be wrong, it is a little too early to tell).

Conclusion------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As @Latte1504 was mentioning, I personally believe it is a little too early to predict the meta to such a specific level so we can directly counter them individually (as this deck tries to do). As we move closer and closer though, we should get a better idea of what is being played and what isn't (and while Malamar will probably remain competitive, Buzzwole GX loses quite a bit and I'm not sure as to its placement post-rotation. There are plenty other decks we need to be aware of besides those two though and I think that is what @Latte1504 was saying. There is going to be a major shift in the format after rotation, so countering each and every individual one is a really hard task considering we don't even know what the format will be like yet). Either way, this list should give you a general idea as to what to look for counter-wise, but there are plenty more options out there for us to investigate. Anyways, if you have any questions, ideas, or suggestions, feel free to let me know!

Hope this helps!
~FrostBiter12

Back