Discussion Ancient Trait Gyarados

Magikarp_is_number_1

Aspiring Trainer
Hey was wondering if anyone could give me advice on an engine I could use to support this Gyarados. I know you mainly use team magma base to get counters, but I dont know what other pokemon I should use to support the deck. Any advice would be appreciated thank you.

Attachments

• card_gyarados.png
    card_gyarados.png
    58.5 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
I've actually made this deck myself, I use the eevolutions to give my gyarados type coverage. Any Pokemon that can use Double Colorless Energy is also not half bad either: Seismatoad, Mewtwo EX (expanded), come to mind.

Teammates is also a great card because you are constantly going to be losing gyarados and magikarp if your opponent gets set up faster, so Teammates searching any 2 cards from your deck is going to help. I can also not stress enough how important x4 Battle Compressor combined with Buddy-Buddy Rescue is for the deck. You just dump any Pokemon that you need to set up into your discard to just bring back to your hand, at the same time it recycles dead magikarps.

I've actually made this deck myself, I use the eevolutions to give my gyarados type coverage. Any Pokemon that can use Double Colorless Energy is also not half bad either: Seismatoad, Mewtwo EX (expanded), come to mind.

Teammates is also a great card because you are constantly going to be losing gyarados and magikarp if your opponent gets set up faster, so Teammates searching any 2 cards from your deck is going to help. I can also not stress enough how important x4 Battle Compressor combined with Buddy-Buddy Rescue is for the deck. You just dump any Pokemon that you need to set up into your discard to just bring back to your hand, at the same time it recycles dead magikarps.
I always thought 4 level ball 4 dive ball would be enough to get to magikarp/gyarados. What kind of eevee line would you use? Sorta still noob at the tcg but i know some people use flareon/jolteon to add types to active pokemon

I personally use both eevees, I use 2 eevee with 1 flareon and 1 jolteon. It really helps with making sure I get the type coverage I need.

The reason for Ultra ball and Dive Ball is that, even though you have to discard to use Ultra Ball I truly think the combination of them is superior simply because those 2 cards can search any combination of magikarp or gyarados that you need, in addition to any other water pokemon you choose to add. Also Ultra Ball allows you to deplete your hand for shaymin.

Is this card worth it at all? It really doesn't seem like leaving multiple 10 HP pokes on your bench is a good thing.

Is this card worth it at all? It really doesn't seem like leaving multiple 10 HP pokes on your bench is a good thing.

Especially considering how popular Bats have been recently. It's not something you want to be doing.

Especially considering how popular Bats have been recently. It's not something you want to be doing.
That is what makes this deck rogue. It isn't completely ready for competitive play.
Why run 8 cards (battle compressor and buddy buddy rescue) to get 4 pokemon and your opponent may also get 4 pokemon when you could run nine cards (dive ball, Ultra Ball/Level Ball, and sacred ash) to get eight pokemon and still get Magikarps and Gyradoses back into your deck from the discard.

With Bats in the format the deck's not competitive, but it's a fun League deck.

I used to run it with Flareon and Jolteon for weakness (and for Blacksmith), with Vespiquen as a backup. You can also run 4-4 with a 3-3 line of Milotic for getting DCEs out of the discard.

One idea for the future: Breakpoint has an item called 'Fighting Spirit Belt," which could give 40 extra HP to your benched Magikarps - so they'll be less prone to getting struck down by the bats.

Also don't forget that Bench Barrier Mr. Mime is back in the format to keep your bench safe from damage (from attacks only though, so bats are still an issue).

Id recommend trying to use Archie for Gyrados so that you can have more Magikarp for damage. Ever since I pulled is Gyrados I've wanted to build a deck around it.

Back