Ancient Origins [8/15, aka Bandit Ring]

Seems great to me. Although it's too bad ace specs are leaving the format.

All hail toad, gotta recycle those crushing hammers!

EDIT: my bad. Thought it was item cards...

Yeah it's not that great xD

Yes, Vileplume can be put into play on the first turn of the game if those certain requirements are met -- including Wally.

It's too bad that Trubbish (And Sigilyph, I think?) is rotating -- otherwise Tool Drop would be absurdly good in this Post-Ban, Post-Theta Double, Post-Eco Arm game.

I think this card is obviously going to be good with Theta Double attackers, but who knows? If disruption cards continue to be strong, this card allows lots of Head Ringer recycling.

Love the Artwork and the name, but the effect is trashy. Might have been playable if the Tools went into your hand.

EDIT: (from an XY-on perspective)

After the influx of colorless pokémon in the last set, I guess they decided to keep it minimum this time...

The thing with Groudon is you actually don't need attackers while you power him up. Someone reached top 8 at UK Nationals with a strange deck built around Primal Groudon. No Landorus or Hawlucha. Just Regirock (XY promo), Sigilyph and Robo Substitute.

I have to disagree with you and a bunch of people who are so nostalgic for 1995 CGI graphics.

Just because this set's artwork looks bad, (yes, I'm looking at you normal paper drawn cards and the most EXs shown so far) doesn't make EX artwork look bad. Well ok, I'm lying only the FAs (except Seismitoad) look horrible. I love the art on my Shaymin EX. Or my Primal Groudon EX. Seismitoad EX. COBALION EX. MY FAVOURITE MANECTRIC EX!

"I'm glad people are finally" perhaps you should have reworded your statement to "nostalgic people like me". Because saying the current CGI/designs look bad is a sign you're on the hate bandwagon that everyone loves to riding on. Enjoy the sights of the city you're riding in. Mean while the rest of us enjoy our Manectric EX, Genesect EX, Dialga EX, Jirachi EX, M Rayquaza (regular art amazing), M Aggron, M Sceptile, M Manectric, M Latios, M Absol, Thundurus and Tornadus artwork. All but Manectric were by 5BAN Graphics.
Whoa whoa whoa...are you saying that you think all the full art ex's artwork is horrible except for seismatoad?? I sure hope not lol full arts are actually where 5ban shines!! The latest mega ray full art is a testament to that , its such a beautiful and skillfully designed card. Not to mention ho-oh ex ,Virizion , Entei , kyogre ( PRC) primal kyogre , primal groudon , mega gardevoir and plenty more , all designed by 5ban and are beautifully made.

I have to disagree with you and a bunch of people who are so nostalgic for 1995 CGI graphics.

Just because this set's artwork looks bad, (yes, I'm looking at you normal paper drawn cards and the most EXs shown so far) doesn't make EX artwork look bad. Well ok, I'm lying only the FAs (except Seismitoad) look horrible. I love the art on my Shaymin EX. Or my Primal Groudon EX. Seismitoad EX. COBALION EX. MY FAVOURITE MANECTRIC EX!

"I'm glad people are finally" perhaps you should have reworded your statement to "nostalgic people like me". Because saying the current CGI/designs look bad is a sign you're on the hate bandwagon that everyone loves to riding on. Enjoy the sights of the city you're riding in. Mean while the rest of us enjoy our Manectric EX, Genesect EX, Dialga EX, Jirachi EX, M Rayquaza (regular art amazing), M Aggron, M Sceptile, M Manectric, M Latios, M Absol, Thundurus and Tornadus artwork. All but Manectric were by 5BAN Graphics.

That isn't true, Jirachi EX was Ryo Ueda (one of my favorite artists), Ayaka Yoshida (kind of a hidden gem) and Manectric, Genesect, Thundurus and Tornadus were done by Eske Yoshinob. Unless you are referring to only the full art version of these cards in which you are right, Manectric EX FA was Ryo Ueda and the full arts look on average, amazing. I don't hate on 5ban graphics, and I'm not "nostalgic" for the old days, the old days had significantly overall worse artwork (looking at you Slowbro from Fossil expansion). I don't hate the current CGI/designs, granted there are much better 3d models that the Pokemon Company has access to (specifically in Pokedex 3D and in the main series of games). For the most part the designs are implemented in ways that look as awkward as Ken Sugimori Pokemon artwork photoshop'd onto scenic backgrounds.

And of course all of the artworks you bring out are the full arts which I have had no problems with since they began in NVI. For the most part when it comes to regular EX artwork however, Yoshinob has a pretty expansive record of strange design choices in regards to poses, actions and emotions exhibited by the Pokemon. These poor choices are why the cards look like crap, not because the Pokemon themselves look like they were poorly drawn or modeled, but nothing about the setting/action/emotion that the Pokemon exhibits, matches with the Pokemon's internal themes or the over arcing theme of EX's which is "slow-motion action shots not looking back at explosions wearing sunglasses coolness."

In short the TL;DR version: 5ban graphics is fine for most cards, and when 5ban does Full arts they tend to be incredible, but I just want what I think most people do, to not settle for mediocrity when presented with it.

A nice card to have access too, given the strong use of items and new double-trait Pokemon. Will be useful for decks that run multiple tools. In expanded this card is better, working with ace-specs, tool drop, and float stones.

I'll probably end up running Eco Arm as a one-of just to get my Tool-F's back into play. I usually put at least two Head Ringers per deck.

We need better Tool cards then. The only tools that you need are spirit links, and muscle bands. The rest are really situtational, and don't have much use after the one time.

Useless after the format rolls over, it right now is a good way to get back most ace specs

What Ace Spec tools are even used in the current format besides G-Booster that is more easily recovered with Shadow Triad? I don't think people really use Crystal Edge/Wall, Rock Guard, Life Dew, Victory Piece, or the G-Scope.

Eco Arm seems pretty specialized; on one hand (pardon the pun) given that we have mass Tool discard in the form of an Item, a recovery card that snags multiples is desirable. At the same time... Pokémon Tools will have to start doing a lot more if they are to become a major part of the deck. Without the new Ancient Trait, you can only have at most six Pokémon Tools in play at a time on your own side of the field. True you can get more into play with Pokémon Tool F cards, but you have to time it right (and hope your opponent doesn't have a less common deck/set-up that leaves you with more targets). This just strikes me as being kind of like a "Shuffle three Evolutions..." card.

When I saw this on Twitter, my hype levels reached maximum hype!

Until I saw the translation 3 seconds later...

Well, Weakness removal? Really? I mean, yeah, it's really good for this format with all of the Primal Groudon-EX going around and it can remove Weakness with Jolteon ANC, but that's about it. Only major uses I can think of would be with Jolteon/Excadrill since it searches out the Energy immediately to get around Fire Weakness and Mega Manectric-EX since it's kind of fragile for Mega Evolution standards.

Back