• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard Alolan Ninetales GX

squirtli

Gen 6 National Dex Complete!
Haven't actually gotten to test this deck since I've been at school since GUR cards actually started coming out, but this is probably the first list I'll start testing. I decided to take an approach more similar to the way Japanese players have been building it (minus a couple of cards that would make no sense in English Standard) instead of using Manaphy and whatnot.

Pokemon: 16
4x Alolan Vulpix [GUR]
3x Alolan Ninetales GX [GUR]
2x Tapu Lele GX [GUR]
1x Regice [AOR]
1x Alolan Grimer [SUM]
1x Alolan Muk [SUM]
1x Rayquaza [GUR]
1x Glaceon EX [FCO]
1x Shaymin EX [ROS]

Trainers: 33
3x Professor Sycamore
3x N
2x Lysandre
1x Pokemon Fan Club
1x Lillie
1x Professor Kukui
1x Hex Maniac

4x Ultra Ball
4x VS Seeker
4x Aqua Patch
1x Field Blower
1x Rescue Stretcher
2x Float Stone
2x Choice Band

3x Rough Seas

Energy: 11
8x Water Energy
4x Double Colorless Energy

I'd like an extra draw supporter potentially over the Hex Maniac, but with the prevalence of Decidueye/Vileplume right now, I'm thinking Hex is pretty necessary, especially since Lele can search it out on the first turn if necessary. The other consideration is between Fan Club and Brigette. Fan Club adds to hand (useful for Lele and Shaymin) and can allow me to grab EX's, but Brigette gets me a third Pokemon as well in exchange for not being able to grab Glaceon or Shaymin, allowing me to grab a bunch of my setup and thin out my deck some as soon as the game starts. I'll probably have to do some testing with each to see which I like more in that slot. I think an 8th Water Energy would also be nice if I can find room.

Last edited:
Bumping. I updated first post with the list I've been playing lately. The deck has been incredibly consistent and Alolan Ninetales GX has impressed me even more than I initially expected it to. I was originally planning on replacing the AOR Regice with the Tapu Koko promo releasing tomorrow, but after testing, I'm not sure. I definitely want to add Tapu Koko, since he makes a lot of Ninetales's numbers a lot better and has free retreat, but at the same time, as long as people are still playing a lot of Volcanion, Darkrai, etc, Regice is really nice for giving those decks trouble.

Hi squirtli,

Nice deck. Not sure that Glaceon EX and Regice are needed in this format. cut them for Tapu Koko non-GX to have a free retreater to promote. Personally I like a variant of this deck with Octillery as an additional draw card over Shaymin Ex. You could also cut Glaceon Ex, reice and shaymin Ex in addition to one other card for a small Octillery line. Alolan Muk does not shut it off and it is a nice draw card in this deck. In that case I would use Bridgette over Fan Club. the reason to use Fan Club is to access either Shaymin Ex, or Tapu Lele GX in addition to one of the other basics in this deck. If you take out Shaymin and the other two for a small Octillery line Bridgette seems to be better.

I agree with your thought on cutting Regice for the Tapu Koko promo. I think the situational use of Regice wouldn't be as significant as the benefit of Koko hitting everything. More and more decks are popping up now that are using GX's over EX's anyway. I like Glaceon in the deck for the same reason though, GX's are getting more popular, and several are evolution pokemon.

Also I would lean towards Fan Club over Brigette personally. Brigette may get a 3rd pokemon out but Fan Club will let you pull anything, and if you get in a spot later in the game it's got more value as a VS Seeker grab, if you really need to grab another Ninetales or anything else. Just my thoughts since I'm considering putting this together also.

Also I would lean towards Fan Club over Brigette personally. Brigette may get a 3rd pokemon out but Fan Club will let you pull anything, and if you get in a spot later in the game it's got more value as a VS Seeker grab, if you really need to grab another Ninetales or anything else. Just my thoughts since I'm considering putting this together also.

Hi MachMechs,

Pokémon Fan Club only searches Basic Pokémon. So your choice is to search for two Basic Pokémon and put them into the hand or up to three Basic Pokémon and bench them. If you run Shaymin EX and/or three Tapu Lele GX Fan Club is better than Bridgette since most of the time you will use Tapu Lele Gx to search for either of them. Personally I am searching for Alolan Vulpix and Remoraid most of the time. With Remoraid and Octillery as the draw engine instead of Shaymin Ex Bridgette works much better than Pokémon Fan Club.

Duh, not sure how I screwed that up. Think I was confusing myself thinking about that in tandem with Vulpix's attack that grabs any pokemon. If this goes with an Octillery line then I definitely agree Brigette is the way to go. I find myself liking Shaymin less and less as the format changes with these new GX's so I'm starting to lean this way as well.

Back