Alolan Meowth, Alolan Marowak, Yowashi, Odoridori

Because it is literally a shiny form of Meowth. Just because the story they made about it fits the design, doesn't mean it is a good design (imo). They should have made it look different in SOME aspect besides color, imo. There is just no difference between an Alolan form and Shiny form (design-wise). I don't think it is too much to ask to at least give him longer claws, or a spike on its tail, for example, and add to the Pokedex entry "the spikes and longer claws help Meowth to climb tall tropical trees" or something like that. :p
Well what will Alolan Meowth's shiny be? Anyways, it's bred by Royal people, so it would most likely be a cat that tends to be more domesticated and less wild. It wasn't bred to have extra features, just set itself apart based off of physical appearance.

Alolan Meowth and Marowak look sweet. Really like the fire dancer vibe Alolan Marowak has going on.

Overall they're all pretty solid...except for Meowth, they're just isn't enough of a change in design to warrant my approval. Hoping Alola Persian looks great though :p

Also Team Skull?? Really that's the best you can do for a region based off of Hawaii? BIKER THUGS?!?!!

I'm pretty sure they're based off of Caribbean Pirates from the skull and cross bones. Honestly, I think that since this is the first team that REALLY fits into the persona of the region (Team Flare doesn't count because every region has flare and style in its own respect) I would say that Team Skull is a bit of a step up. The name is undeniably unoriginal and chunky, but I still think that we will get an interesting story line with Team Skull. What I really want to know is if Professor Kukuis' "Mysterious Assistant" has any affiliations with these devious rapscallions.o_O

Shirodesuna is probably the 2nd fastest gut reaction for "must-have on my team" of this entire generation. The first fastest was Minior, I just need to collect all of the colors!

But that sandcastle, its so fantastic and adorable while terrifying. Its "mouth" being the door to the castle makes it just look like its quietly or silently screaming "ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh" the entire time.

I like the Pokemon. But Team Skull...

I agree that I like the idea of a team that just wants money and power rather than some crazy scheme, but people are just assuming that from their designs, and the way they have a Zygarde core necklace suggests they do have some crazy scene, it just happens to go along with a stupid aesthetic. Guzuma is the worst -he doesn't look like a scary team leader, he looks pathetic and cartoonish. I hope he either is an utterly despicable and horrifying human being who just looks pathetic, or he isn't actually the team leader. Preferably the latter, because, for the record, I would love to actually have a female team leader. I was so disappointed to find out it's just going to be another guy, and a stupid-looking one at that.

Or alternatively, the evil team isn't that important to the plot and the legendaries are acting of their own accord - thus their new role in the game.

Last edited by a moderator:
It seems like the Chinese "leaks" are turning out to be consistent. they predicted alolan Persion being Dark type, Rockruff's evolution will be a werewolf(It probably will be since the evo is being revealed soon). Although I wasn't before, I think I'm on board now.

Other thoughts: I love the sand castle thing, instantly being on my team. Another thing, is it confirmed that this is gen 7? And by that I mean has it been officially confirmed by TPCI. It seems more like this is gen 6.5. Even though I thought that was non-sense before, it seems like that's what it is. I feel like the game's sequel will really be 7th gen. Think about it: We can't transfer from X,Y,OR, or AS, just Red and Blue. The graphics are almost the exact same engine(other than some of the new updates to the backgrounds). And the alolan forms completely push the regular forms out of the region, so how do we evolve them? it certainly has something to do with how Glaceon and Leafeon evolved. But rather than evolving to adapt to the environment(short range), it's to adapt to the entire region. Those are the first thoughts I have about this region(Since I wasn't on the hype train at all until now). But with this comment ending, think about this:
If we bred the older regular form Pokemon with the new alolan forms, what form would we get?

I love the new Alolan forms. The Meowth is OK but I absolutely love the Marowak (I lucked out and was able to get the username AlolanMarowak in Pokemon GO) The sandcastles are amazing and as for the fish and Bewaer's previous evolution. I don't mind them. They're cool.

Aw come on guys. People always complain how newer Pokémon/Mega evos look terribly overdesigned and now complain that Alolan Meowth is just a pallete swap? If they added stuff to its design it would look, well... overdesigned!

Love everything except the part where we get another evil team. I hoped GF would be more creative but the apparent absence of Gyms already makes up for that in my opinion.

Anyone else getting the Sevii Island vibes right now with Team Skull? Also, It seems like Alolan forms will be exclusive to only Kanto Pokemon):

Shirodesuna.... oh my god <3

What Chinese leaks are people talking about? Insert obvious Tyranitartube shade.

Because it is literally a shiny form of Meowth. Just because the story they made about it fits the design, doesn't mean it is a good design (imo). They should have made it look different in SOME aspect besides color, imo. There is just no difference between an Alolan form and Shiny form (design-wise). I don't think it is too much to ask to at least give him longer claws, or a spike on its tail, for example, and add to the Pokedex entry "the spikes and longer claws help Meowth to climb tall tropical trees" or something like that. :p

Maybe you're just being hyperbolic, but there are several differences between the two besides color. Alolan Meowth's eyes are a different shape and size. Its mouth is smaller. Its whiskers are curly instead of straight. Its ears look bigger and more upright. The koban is a bit different, at least in the official art. And I don't know if this will hold true in all the games and media, but it looks to maintain a more upright posture than Kanto Meowth. Overall its entire attitude is different, and that's a not insubstantial part of a Pokemon's design.

alolanmeowth.jpg
250px-052Meowth.png

I get what you're saying that there aren't dramatic shape changes like in some of the other forms, but I think that more subtle form differences can work too. Anyway, Alolan Vulpix and Ninetales are basically pallete swaps and everyone loves those. :p

I love the sandcastle and fish Pokemon! I'm curious how the fish Pokemon's form changing works. Bewear's pre-evolution doesn't impress me, but I wasn't expecting a pre-evolution at all. Alolan Meowth and Marowak both look nice IMO. I'm interested in seeing Alolan Persian and I'm curious if Alolan Cubone exists... Especially since this is a complete type change unlike Exeggutor.

I'm expecting Team Skull's name to be different in English. If it's not, then I won't complain, but it'll cause confusion.

I'm looking forward to seeing the "Secret Evolution" of Rockruff. This also all but confirms that the secret with Rockruff and the starters is the evolution.

Those fish pokemon definitely feel like they should be an evolutionary line, à la Magnemite and Beldum, rather than different forms. The big one is just so clearly going to be superior, with different stats and a different place in the Pokemon world that would merit a separate dex entry. Plus how would that form change even work? Some Yowashi's have a hidden ability, like Zygarde, and they just transform upon entering the battle? Or you catch a bunch and then your multiple pokemon become one pokemon, that's still somehow the same pokemon? All of that sounds dumb. Hopefully CoroCoro just declined to give us the bigger fish's name and stats, for some reason?

Nope. The forms have names. They're called "Solo Form" and "Swarm/School Form". CoroCoro didn't decline anything.

Btw., with all that Alolan forms it really seems, there'll be no more Megas in Gen VII. Sadly. I so hoped for Dewgong (and Flygon, naturally). :-(

It's a bit too early for that, don't you think? They most likely want to put the focus on the new Pokemon, Alola forms, and Z-Moves for now. Mega Evolutions would take away from that focus.

1) I love Yowashi he is definitely in my top 5 water type Pokémon. I always love it when Nintendo take real life aspects and make Pokémon with them.

2) I'm also loving the idea of Sunabaa and Shirodesuna, I think their designs are unique and creative.

3) I'm so happy about Bewear getting a pre evolution because I Hated it when I first saw it because I always wanted a Red Panda Pokémon but that was their response. So long story short :p Nuikoguma is Bewear's saving grace.

4) The new Alola forms are amazing in my opinion I love Marowak's typing and depending on what else generation 7 offers he'll probably be on my team.

4 1/2) I absolutely love Alolan Meowth and don't understand the hate on him because there wasn't much of a design change they could do because he is such a small Pokémon and they weren't going to get rid of his gold thing (sorry can't think of the word right now).

5) I disliked the evil team at first but it is growing on me. I just want to know more about them.

Then we have to start altering the name of Pokébeach into something else, maybe, PokéCastle or PokéPalace, seeing as Pokébeach may be possessed too! :p:D

Anyways, looking at the leaks now, I really like the fish and its concept of its species merging into one gigantic uber fish. Just too bad its not a Evolution, but a forme change of sorts. The Alolan versions of Marowak and Meowth look pretty good. Could it be that Marowak died in trying to adapt and became a Ghost/Fire type as result? Pretty gloomy if you ask me.

The Sandcastle mon is pretty ingenious, and I like its design. Pretty original.

As for Team Skull, they're pretty cool looking. Based on how they are dressed, it looks like they appear to be a cross between pirates and shamans/necromancers. Perhaps their goal is to disrupt the delicate balance of life, seeing as it was mentioned by Masuda that Alola's theme is about life/teems with life. With a team known as Skull, its reasonable to expect they have something to do with a death theme of sorts. I'm calling the idea that, with their skull and possible death theme, they will specialize in Ghost-type Pokémon, along with the occasional Dark and Poison types.
If the thing with Skull is true, they're my new favorite evil team. Ghost types FTW.

The sand castles. KILL THEM.
The fish is cool, and I need Marowak badly. Meowth is meh, though. And Bewear's pre-evo? Super adorable. (I can't remember names. XP)

Last edited:
Am I the only one wondering about the missing pages / info ? I seem to remember a previous CoroCoro promising to discuss/debut another island this month? Akala, where are you? We already know you are home to at least 1 (but likely more) of the Trial Captains revealed recently.

Also, there are obviously missing pages based on the scans...the page with Bewear shows the crease, as well as a small snippet of the info on the left-hand side page. I snipped a section (attached) to point there are more pokemon revealed there, at least 2 Alolan forms, based on the Japanese characters. The claw (A in my drawing) definitely belongs to Sandslash. All of this leads me to believe that Sandshrew and Sandslash were shown. I wonder what other info was included on that page?

Final analysis shows us that:
  • Eggexcutor page is the left-side (probably page 7 - shown in bottom left in a pokeball)
  • Oricorio page is the right-side (number not visible, but top of pokeball is seen in lower right corner. This page must sit next to Eggexcutor's page, since the bird and fish are visible on the previous scan)
  • Bewear is the right-side (looks to have the number 8 in the pokeball)
  • Finally, Team Skull shows up on a page numbered as (84).
My conclusion - we have more leaks to come. I think there is a special section on game / Akala island with at least 8 pages. The main magazine must have featured Rockruff/Team Skull near the end as an advertisement for next month. But these are just my speculations... what do you think?

Attachments

• Capture892016.JPG
    Capture892016.JPG
    118.1 KB · Views: 10
Meowth is Dark type... and presumably Alolan Persian will be too...

Meowth please! The dark cat niche is already filled! Get your own typing! :mad:

The villainous team ought to have been Team Colonialism.

Love these Pokemon. I don't think I've been this excited for a new region since Hoenn! I don't like Meowth's design but I think it's appropriately smarmy for having been bred by royalty.

I disagree that I'd like them to be about ghost types/disrupting the balance of life. That would seem like just "evil for the sake of being evil", instead of money and power, or some kind of insane ideology that would have a point if it wasn't so extreme. Plus evil teams always are like "ghost, dark, poison, bug". I was hoping for an evil team that focuses on not-so-stereotypically scary types. Like an evil team where the grunts are using grass types all of the time, or fairy types, or electric types. Sure there was team magma and aqua but they threw in a lot of dark/poison/bug/etc. Sure we haven't seen an explicitly ghost focused one, but they're still too stereotypically evil. My wishlist for an evil team is basically:

1. Having a female leader FOR ONCE
2. Having grunts who are actually competent and not stupid
3. Having everyone have Pokemon of types that aren't stereotypically "evil"
4. Not having some kind of ridiculous legendary-centered goal unless it's really creative this time
5. The legendaries having a role in the game of their own free will rather than just being pawns for the two teams (if they're so important and powerful, why can't they ever be genuine characters instead of commodities?)

I was hoping we'd eventually see the Meowth and Marowak lines gain Dark and Ghost, but I thought it would be through Mega Evolution, not Alola Forms. Either way though, glad to see them finally become reality in one way or another.

Back