ACTA Has Passed

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Fallen One

COWER, MORTALS
So it begins...SOPA was the distraction. ACTA is the real thing.

ACTA Info

SOPA was about copyrighted material. ACTA is about all content, lets the government go through your internet history without your permission and can ban you from the internet. Period. It's at the least being signed by the EU and Ireland tomorrow...what all of this could mean I'm not 100% certain but this...can't be good.

The Fallen One said:
ACTA is about all content, lets the government go through your internet history without your permission and can ban you from the internet. Period.

1) Where'd the 4th Amendment go again?
2) Where does it say that? I'm not seeing it, but if you could bring up a quote or something, I'd appreciate it. I think they would've mentioned that somewhere on that site, and I'm not finding a recent copy of the bill anywhere.

I thought this was actually geared towards physical counterfeited products being sold as legitimate merchandise on international markets... I didn't realize it applied to anything else...

One thing I'm wondering is how well does anyone expect this to be enforced without severe political backlash coming about as a result? And I mean on a global scale too... :/

How does this affect a person that, say, doesn't continually buy/sell pirated or counterfeited items on the internet? I'd honestly like to know. Going through you history is something that I don't agree with, but will we actually endure any consequences if we don't "break the law"? I'm asking purely out of curiosity.

also

The article that TFO posted said:
A European Commission spokesman said ACTA would not create new intellectual property rights, but would merely serve to enforce existing ones – and would not lead to constant monitoring of internet traffic.

Correct me if I'm missing something.

I don't think its just buying and selling, but downloading as well. I watched this one video about it (looking for it again) that said that if you downloaded an Ebook, you'd face consequences. If you downloaded some music, you'd face consequences. To be completely honest, I think PokeBeach is on thin ice now.

And to which, my response is: The artist doesn't need it. He's not going to notice my $20 I could've spent on his CD any time soon.

Oh and...
[10:02:03 PM] Spammy: world hunger? yeah we should do someth-- OWHAT PEOPLE GETTING MUSIC FOR FREE ON THE INTERNET

Yeah, overreact much?

Well, if this bill is all it says it is, half the country is gonna be in jail by next Friday. I honestly think its just a media freakout, due to SL's post.

Right. You won't get "banned from the internet" (lol) unless you do something illegal. PokeBeach isn't doing anything illegal. As long as we don't start handing out pirated material, I think we'll be just fine.

Under SOPA's guidelines, PokeBeach could get fined/shut down for having card scans up, because even though there is a notice saying "We don't own these", they can't be posted here. Since ACTA is basically the little bro of SOPA, I'm wondering if that same guideline applies. (Another thing you couldn't do would be have background music in videos. Like if SL uploaded a video of himself playing CoD, but it had the background music of a Justin Beieber song, SL could be fined).

If it doesn't, then I'm a little bit more accepting towards it. But if ACTA contains the same guidelines, then... I don't know what to say.

Just read through Ganon's link. So basically, all of the stuff I said was wrong. Whoops. :/

Bippa said:
Like if SL uploaded a video of himself playing CoD, but it had the background music of a Justin Beieber song, SL could be fined.

Son, I am disappoint. ;]

CSJ said:
Yes they are, they are taking info from Japan and distributing it here. Serebii.net is the same way as well...

That is in no way piracy or counterfeiting, and is not illegal in any sense of the word. :/

TFO said:

Thank you for posting that, it reaffirms what I stated earlier and should remove this idiotic hype. So no people, it's not "nice knowing ya".

You sure that ACTA has really passed yet? I checked on Google already and it hasn't yet.

http://www.stopacta.info/

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2012/01/23/if-you-thought-sopa-was-bad-just-wait-until-you-meet-acta/

ACTA vs. SOPA: Five Reasons ACTA is Scarier Threat to Internet Freedom:

http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/286925/20120124/acta-sopa-reasons-scarier-threat-internet-freedom.htm?cid=2

What's Wrong with ACTA?

http://www.edri.org/edrigram/number10.1/whats-wrong-with-ACTA

Here's a petition to try to stop it which goes straight to the White House!

https://wwws.whitehouse.gov/petitions#!/petition/end-acta-and-protect-our-right-privacy-internet/MwfSVNBK

Here's the Global Petition:

https://secure.avaaz.org/en/eu_save_the_internet/?abUepcb

Don't these SOPA and ACTA people have anyhting better to do than try to ruin other peoples' lives.

Thanks for that link TFO. This honestly isn't that bad at all, I actually agree with it. People are just overreacting for the most silly of reasons. I guess lack of information can be blamed, but also the media's way of blowing things out of proportion.

CSJ, I shall not read or look at any of the links you posted for multiple reasons.

@Card Slinger J: I'm going to quote a couple things from TFO's article. Its really not that bad.

ACTA itself is not too bad. It is an agreement to create new laws in each signatory state, and most of the rules are either fairly reasonable, or are wide enough in scope to be handled reasonably.

Don't make the treaty itself an issue. It has already been signed by most of its initial target, and the others are going to jump on soon enough. It isn't nasty enough to warrant a fight, and it fundamentally weakens the online user's position to shrilly protest what it a relatively tame enabling treaty.

Its not going to censor the internet. Its just going to monitor your usage; where you go and what you do there. As long as you don't do anything questionable (like download copywritten material), you'll be fine. The internet service providers are the people that will be doing the monitoring, not the government.

In a nutshell, ACTA gives each signatory authority to create laws that satisfy its requirements. Without getting into the issue of monism and dualism (international legal concepts for how treaties embed themselves into domestic law) it simply means that until signatory states create enforcing legislation, ACTA does nothing.

So until your government create laws that will be based off of ACTA, ACTA has no effect.

For sites like Youtube, Google, etc, there's this:
For regularly legitimate companies there are the following:
  • Am I mainly enabling piracy? Megaupload for example. This isn't to say all digital locker sites are in jeapordy; the fairness requirements in the treaty should, if implemented properly mean that sites that promptly remove infringing content are safe.
  • Am I selling things that primarily enable infringement? This will probably mean an end to modchip sellers for xboxes and the like. Heavy criminal and civil penalties mean it will not be a very smart business to be in.
  • Will I get a betamax exemption for borderline cases? This is what requires careful observation of individual legislatures. If they fudge it up, things like DVD authoring software could be in trouble."

Youtube and Google don't enable piracy and they don't sell anything. So they will be safe. That Megaupload account to paid for; yeah that's bad.

You will likely go to jail if you are profiting from piracy. I'm not going to lose much sleep over this myself. If something is going for free in a torrent, fine. But if someone is making money off it, it's only right that it be the copyright holder that does so.

So everyone that downloads music for free, I'm assuming that you're safe.

I'll leave you with this: ACTA is a treaty, not a law. Its powerless until a law is put into motion that supports it.

Oh okay, but does this mean that Serebii.net is going to get shutdown unless SOPA/PIPA or the OPEN Act passes? What about Lamar Smith's new "Big Brother" Bill? :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back