• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Expanded Accelratoad (Blastoise / Seismitoad EX)

Inferno390

You always knew that Feralligatr was the best.
Pokémon: 9
  • 4 Seismitoad EX
  • 4 Blastoise
  • 1 Articuno (Roaring Skies)
Trainers/Supporters/Stadiums: 36
  • 4 Professor Birch's Observations
  • 3 AZ
  • 4 Archie's Ace in the Hole
  • 4 Pokémon Center Lady
  • 4 VS Seeker
  • 4 Battle Compressor
  • 4 Super Scoop Up
  • 4 Ultra Ball
  • 1 Rock Guard
  • 4 Rough Seas
Energy: 15
  • 15 Water Energy
Strategy:

Christmas 2014, my little brother got some Pokémon cards. He was opening the booster packs and looking at each of the cards, when to our amazement, he found a full-art holo Seismatoad-EX! I was taken by the card and the power of Grenade Hammer. I soon joined Pokebeach after, and found, to my dismay, that most people actually never use Grenade Hammer in competitive play, and Seismatoad was used solely for Quaking Punch. For a while, I've been trying to think of a deck that took advantage of this excellent card. I just recently found a solution: Blastoise.
The point of the deck is to get Blastoise and Seismatoad out into play as fast as possible. You will never put Energy on Blastoise, however, as the point is to charge up the Seismatoads you have in play so that you can use Grenade Hammer quickly and efficiently, and absorb damage from Grenade Hammer. There are only 15 Energies in the deck: This means that you have exactly enough for Articuno and all 4 Seismatoads, but none for any Blastoise. Which is okay: The point of them is their Deluge ability, which allows you theoretically to set up an attack on turn One, and at least turn Three.
Most of the cards require no explanation, but the more unusual ideas go here:

4 Pokémon Center Lady:
These are mostly here to provide an extra turn or two to your Blastoise for absorbing any damage.

4 Professor Birch's Observations:
I know this is a weird card to use, but for the deck to go well, you really need every card you can get. And when you're trying to use Archie, four cards does you much more good that seven (believe it or not).

4 Super Scoop Up:

These are here so you can pull Seismatoad out of your active position when he gets low on Hp, since switching out leaves you with an energy deficit. With Super Scoop Up, You can put it and all of it's energies into your hand, switch out to another powered-up Seismatoad, and then proceed to put the Seismatoad you just took out of play on your Bench and (hopefully) attach all of its energies back on it.

1 Rock Guard:
This I decided was the best for this deck because you can pop it on your Active Seismatoad, which gives you 130 damage plus what you get from taking the Rock Guard when he takes damage. You could potentially switch this with any Ace Spec card, however.

The one big advantage to this deck is that it is mono-Water, which makes it really easy to get the right energies, so it always sets up quickly. The one big downside (as far as I can see) is that it only has five Basic Pokémon, which can make it pretty hard to draw a hand that you can begin play with.

Final Note: Unfortunately, due to the fact that I still missing some of the cards I need to make this deck, I have not playtested it at all yet. I am currently looking for someone who will do this and come back with suggestions so that the deck can be finetuned.

Last edited:
This is an interesting take on Seismitoad variants, but even at only 30 damage, Quaking Punch can provide a huge advantage. Even if you're focusing on Grenade Hammer, a DCE or two (in case you can't get Blastoise on the field turn one) and Muscle Bands would give your deck a fair bit of versatility. I think you could take out some Water Energy in favor of Superior Energy Retrieval. Not really sure why you have 3 AZ; if you ever have to AZ Blastoise to get it out of the Active spot, you're going to have a lot of fun trying to play it back down. Here are some changes I'd propose.

Pokémon: 10
  • 3 Seismitoad EX
  • 2 Keldeo EX
  • 2 Blastoise
  • 2 Exeggcute PLF
Trainers/Supporters/Stadiums: 40
  • 3 Professor Sycamore
  • 2 Judge (If 4 is better than 7, then why play Professor Birch which may give you 4 or 7 instead of Judge which is a guaranteed 4?)
  • 2 Archie's Ace in the Hole
  • 4 Pokémon Center Lady
  • 4 VS Seeker
  • 4 Battle Compressor
  • 4 Super Scoop Up
  • 4 Ultra Ball
  • 3 Muscle Band
  • 3 Superior Energy Retrieval
  • 2 Float Stone
  • 1 Rock Guard
  • 4 Rough Seas
Energy: 10
  • 9 Water Energy
  • 1 Double Colorless Energy

This is an interesting take on Seismitoad variants, but even at only 30 damage, Quaking Punch can provide a huge advantage. Even if you're focusing on Grenade Hammer, a DCE or two (in case you can't get Blastoise on the field turn one) and Muscle Bands would give your deck a fair bit of versatility. I think you could take out some Water Energy in favor of Superior Energy Retrieval. Not really sure why you have 3 AZ; if you ever have to AZ Blastoise to get it out of the Active spot, you're going to have a lot of fun trying to play it back down. Here are some changes I'd propose.

Pokémon: 10
  • 3 Seismitoad EX
  • 2 Keldeo EX
  • 2 Blastoise
  • 2 Exeggcute PLF
Trainers/Supporters/Stadiums: 40
  • 3 Professor Sycamore
  • 2 Judge (If 4 is better than 7, then why play Professor Birch which may give you 4 or 7 instead of Judge which is a guaranteed 4?)
  • 2 Archie's Ace in the Hole
  • 4 Pokémon Center Lady
  • 4 VS Seeker
  • 4 Battle Compressor
  • 4 Super Scoop Up
  • 4 Ultra Ball
  • 3 Muscle Band
  • 3 Superior Energy Retrieval
  • 2 Float Stone
  • 1 Rock Guard
  • 4 Rough Seas
Energy: 10
  • 9 Water Energy
  • 1 Double Colorless Energy
Okay, I like this a lot. My only complaint with this is that it can cause an energy deficit. So maybe 1 or 2 Professor's Letter somewhere?
But this works even better than what I had in mind originally. The only thing I don't understand is the PLF Exeggcute. what is the point of them, since they can't attack or do much in particular?
You're right, Judge is a much better card (facepalm for not thinking of that), and I couldn't think of anything better than AZ to get Blastoise off the Bench, although I did tinker with Cassius (however, in hindsight, Rough Seas completely negates Grenade Hammer's recoil. Another facepalm.).
And, since I'm such a competitive TCG newbie, do you mind explaining what DCE means?

Exeggcute's Ability makes it perfect Ultra Ball fodder since you can put it from the discard pile to your hand whenever you want. You have the option of playing Ultra Ball for free. It makes getting down to just the Archie's Ace in hand a bit easier. The problem with having plenty of Energy is that it tends to clog up your hand when you want to play Archie, and you can only attach one Energy per turn. You can include Professor's Letter if you want, but Superior Energy Retrieval and Battle Compressor already have that covered. Keldeo and Float Stone should have all of your retreating needs covered.

DCE = Double Colorless Energy.

Okay, this all makes perfect sense now. I love this deck build. Thanks for the help!

Back