• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard Accelerated Primal Groudon EX

Peter Torres

Aspiring Trainer
****Deck List modified February 29th****

Pokemon: 10
  • 3 Landorus
  • 1 Jirachi (Promo)
  • 3 Groundon EX
  • 3 Primal Groudon EX
Trainer/Supporter/Stadium: 36
  • 3 Professor Sycamore
  • 4 Korina
  • 2 Judge
  • 1 Lysandre
  • 1 Teammates
  • 1 Xerosic
  • 2 Switch
  • 1 Escape Rope
  • 4 VS Seeker
  • 1 Professor's Letter
  • 4 Robo Substitute
  • 3 Mega Turbo
  • 2 Groudon Spirit Link
  • 2 Muscle band
  • 1 Startling Megaphone
  • 1 Battle Compressor
  • 4 Silent Lab
Energy: 12
  • 4 Strong Energy
  • 8 Fighting Energy
groudon deck.jpeg
(Im aware the spirit links aren't groudon spirit links.)

Strategy:

Taking a few things into consideration, I decided that I was going to make substantial amount of changes to the deck that allowed me to this final conclusion of a deck. First and foremost, I would like to say that max exlixirs did not make the cut for this deck list. Max elixirs can only power up basic pokemon with basic energies and only to the bench. As it might fit for other decks, it did not find a fit to this deck. It became too much of an unreliable source of acceleration and I decided to drop the card entirely. I however, cut a few things, play tested for three days and come to this conclusion of a deck.

For those who have never played a groudon deck, there is an interesting ability between teammates and robo substitute. If it gets knocked out by anything by your opponent, you can actually use teammates which makes it really great. The deck is still somewhat slow, but I incorporated landorus to power up groudon in case I am item locked by trevenant or seismitoad (and can't use mega turbo). I may be able to switch the xerosic with other cards, but found that it helps for head ringers that your opponents may play or just slowing down special energies on your opponent while you power up. Additionally, the jirachi promo does the same thing as well. Let me know what you guys think!

Last edited:
I have made changes to the current deck. Originally I was playing this deck with wobuffets but instead energy accelerated the deck with landorus, and included 2 copies of assault vest in order to prevent damage done by giratina/toad if they pose a problem (due to the high probability that they have any special energy). Still need some cool ideas on the deck!

You're running a deck with a 3-3 line of Mega Pokémon, and only one spirit link? That needs to be at least 2 or 3 links.

Youre running a deck with a 3-3 line of mega pokemon and only one spirit link? That needs to be atleast 2 or 3 links
You should probably add 1 battle compressor and 1-2 more mega turbos as well. it is a much better solution than max elixer IMO. plus battle compressor gives you access to supporters via vs seeker.

Groudon doesn't need spirit links, all it needs robo subs and wobbs to hide behind, this deck needs 4 trainers mail so drop the robos down to 3 you don't need 4 it's not healthy for the deck's consistency, take out both battle compressors as much as you think lando is good max elixir is better. -2 assult vest + 2 focus sash, nm, mega mewtwo, and vespiquen can hit over an assault vest for the ko, focus sash is insurance assult vest is a tech.

No matter how fast you make this deck, it will always be slow unless you run shaymins and drop labs for fighting stadiums, you can't have one without the other, because they will counter lab with a stadium and you will then be at disadvantage.

I decided to make a lot of improvements to the deck and some of you may look at the description to see what I have done to the deck since the initial post. To get this addressed now, I understand that the groudon spirit links are not required in the deck because it is a slow setup BUT because I run landorus and it powers up groudon from the bench, I do prefer not wasting by mega evolving when I can just accelerate groudon from the bench. Thanks for all the future inputs on the deck, i will appreciate it!

When I played 'evolved' Primal Groudon I ran 3 Silent Lab and 2 Shrine of Memories. It worked pretty awesome. I also ran one copy of Skyla, which seems redundant, but it allowed me to grab a stadium in some very clutch moments so that Primal could retain momentum and continue annihilating everything in it's path. Having the option to use Shrine and Massive Rend every once in a while (which was usually getting me 150-170 damage reliably because of Strong Energy) was a potent option allowing me to KO smaller foes while preserving the stadium for megas and bigger threats to Primal G. I found two copies of Lysandre more useful than having a Xerosic, it can be used as disruption and it is often important to get the drop on threats to Groudon: you can force them into the active spot and knock them out, but they cannot... nothing worse than having to discard the stadium and getting one prize when they have a legitimate threat waiting on the bench. Then again, Head Ringers reaaally stink.
My deck has very similar. It did run 2 copies of Hawlucha, which was nice for switching into and retreating to a robo sub or back to Groudon to cure special conditions. It was in a format before Mega Turbo. Item lock kind of stank, obviously, but Seismitoad was completely powerless to take down Primal if it got going. Sycamore was excellent for digging in these emergency situations to ensure Primal evolved (with or without spirit link I always evolved) and no turn was missed without an energy attachment. I heard about a variant that ran Stephen as insurance against item lock but never heard detail.
You might consider adding 1-2 more basic pokemon, since I always kind of found it a disadvantage to start with Groudon EX and always sought a switch card with Korrina in those situations. This is a good reason to include Hawlucha, with Korrina and free retreat starting with Hawlucha means you're starting with Landorus in the active spot, essentially.
I don't know. It was lots of fun to play, hope this helps.

Last edited:
Back