Help A question about legacy

TomC34

Aspiring Trainer
I'm looking to build a weavile/exeggcute deck but am struggling to afford junk arm and dark patch. Are there any alternatives/ ways of getting round without using them, without the deck losing its reliability?

I'm looking to build a weavile/exeggcute deck but am struggling to afford junk arm and dark patch. Are there any alternatives/ ways of getting round without using them, without the deck losing its reliability?

The short answer is "No."

The long answer starts with an explanation of the bad news: a proper Weavile [Plasma] deck needs to max out Junk Arm (and probably Dark Patch), and this is a major part of its strategy as it frequently grabs the exact Item it needs from the discard, and may periodically send up Sableye (BW: Dark Explorers 62/108) as a sacrifice, using its "Junk Hunt" to get back two Junk Arm. The two are not impossible to obtain using the slow and steady method, though: how good are you at the trading game? Emhpasis on "game"; the trading side of the PTCGO is a game all in and of itself. The easiest way to earn the trading fodder you desire is to find a less demanding deck and try to win a few Legacy Format tournaments when some of the more in demand Legacy Format boosters are the reward. The good news is that these two cards are Uncommons, so while they are pricey, it isn't as ridiculous as (for example) needing even just a couple copies of Tropical Beach or Celebi Prime.

The mediocre news is that you might be able to create a "functional" Legacy Format deck even without these two. Weavile [Plasma] tends to rely heavily on both so that is not a great fit; if you insist on running it, however, you can try to use Colress Machine and Plasma Energy plus manual Energy attachments of Darkness Energy (basic or Special Energy version). You'll be vulnerable to stuff like Lost Remover, but Weavile [Plasma] is normally a OHKO, so losing that Energy isn't as big of a deal as it might appear. Lacking Junk Arm means a less reliable deck; take the four slots that would have gone to Junk Arm and add in extra copies of the most vital cards.

Finally a minor bit related to the deck, but not the specifics of the post; once you have Dark Patch, make sure you go with Sneasel (HS: Undaunted 68/90). There was a rude player that did me a solid because, while belittling my earlier build of this deck, he pointed out that I was an idiot for not using this version. The big deal is the free Retreat Cost, as it can save you a lot of hassle if your Darkrai-EX is a no-show, or if your opponent has no chance of winning so long as you don't bench a Pokémon-EX. Beat Up is a pretty solid attack, at least once your Bench is full. Not something upon which to rely, but nice in a pinch, such as an opponent stalling with Silver Mirror after you're out of Tool Scrapper and Junk Arm.

Addendum: I just checked out the In-Game Item Exchange subforum over on the official PTCGO message board. While some of the trading groups are all "Value upon request", at least list Junk Arm and Dark Patch outright. S'gonna cost you, but looks like Junk Arm will cost you around eight packs of Sun & Moon per copy, while Dark Patch will run you more like three per. Those are prices from one of the trading groups, so if you've got the patience, you could try offering about half as much for Public Trades and try your luck. You then just keep re-posting the offers, upping it until you either get what you want, or you may as well go to said trading group and pay their rates. ;)

If paying around 32 Sun & Moon booster packs for four Junk Arm sounds outrageous, remember it is a staple; most decks want at least two copies of it, and would prefer more if they had room. Many run three and quite a few run the full four, like in the Weavile [Plasma]. Once you've got them, they should quickly pay for themselves... or at least slowly do it barring some surprise giveaway. XP Getting the four Dark Patch shouldn't take too long; if they would help you enough, perhaps getting them first is in order.

Last edited:
Thanks for the long reply and the time it must have taken you to write it :) . I think I will just build an even more budget legacy deck and eventually build up to junk arms and jirachi's etc...

Do you think good rod from unleashed could be a replacement?

When you buy a Theme Deck from the in-game store, you can earn a bonus booster pack from its expansion by winning 12 games against the computer in the single player mode. So I speak from experience when I say:

Good Rod is insolent and loves giving you the wrong result. XP

Seriously though, Junk Arm is in the deck both to reliably reclaim Items and help gett those Exeggcute and/or Darkness Energy into the discard pile. It might seem odd thinking that way, but most competitive builds are running four Professor Oak's Research and like three N alongside four Professor Sycamore; two out of three of your go-to draw Supporters shuffle your hand away, so during setup this can be vital. You also won't have an option to not take something if you flip wrong and have to grab a Pokémon from your discard pile, so again you risk getting an Exeggcute back in hand before you can easily re-discard it.

Are there any legacy theme decks in the store at the moment?

Unfortunately not right now, however they seem to put them up ever now and then. I'm thinking it happens at least once every three months. Sorry I cannot clearly remember the last time it happened, or how often it happens, but I suspect more will go up soon. Just save back at least 500 Tokens, preferably more like 2000, as they may be part of box sets (which means boosters from the set as well) or you might want multiples. Getting four Professor Oak's New Theory is obviously important, and I got mine through Theme Decks. ^^

The Feraligatr Prime bundle in the shop right now is a good choice if you want to try your hand at Blastoise/Keldeo in Legacy. Feraligatr's Rain Dance is a Poke Power, not an Ability, which means it's not affected by Garbodor. Thanks to the Battle Arena decks, Keldeo-EX is pretty cheap, so you could try that as a budget build.

Unfortunately, the bundle comes with three Unleashed packs, one of the worst sets ever, on par with Evolutions. Nothing in the set (other than Dual Ball) is worth using in Legacy.

Back