A once Glorious Kingdom (an offensive OU team)

How should I change the basic structure of my team, if I change it at all?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

OU Pokemon

Aspiring Trainer
Hello guys, my name is OU Pokemon and I've been doing competitive Pokemon since Platinum! Anyways, cutting to the chase, the reason why I'm posting my team today is that lately, I am starting to feel that my team is starting to become not so good, because on the Pokemon Online server my ranking is just 1016, but when it was at its peak, its ranking was 1198. Anyways, here's my team.

Updates are coming in the next few days

Team

images

Pawnch (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Technician
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Sword Dance
- Mach Punch
- Bullet Seed
- Spore

Breloom was suggested to me by ShadowLugia as a replacement to Scrafty (who has sadly fell from OU, alright, time to move on) due to it (being Breloom) having more synergy with this new team. So this was the original set that I had tried out of the two offered to me, and even though I didn't like it at first and went with a SubPunch set, because someone told me that there was a need for priority, I had reverted Breloom back to his old set. Sword Dance is a boosting move and is used so that I may be able to score important OHKO's or set-up in front of stuff that's either asleep or named "Ferrothorn" since that guy can't do crap against me. Mach Punch is for priority and is STAB. It allows me to outspeed faster threats and KO them outright, namely Terrakion, since I hate that guy. Bullet Seed is for more STAB and will allow me to get both the Technician boost and still use that much greater physical attacking stat. Spore is to incaptitate opponents and either kill them or set-up on them. In other news, I hate Sleep Clause and I want it removed. Moving on...also, Breloom is the fastest user of Spore, so why pass it up?

121___shiny_starmie_by_merum_sb_blueolimar-d34tevz.png

Patrick (Starmie) (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Thunder
- Rapid Spin

Well, a couple of people suggested Starmie to me (check the link at the bottom) because I was really prone to entry hazards, namely Toxic Spikes, which would have devastated Gastrodon, plus his only purpose was to check Terrakion, and now that various other Pokemon now check him too, Gastrodon's purpose is basically nil now, so he was replaced by Starmie. Hydro Pump is for STAB. Upon Fridge's suggestion, I've replaced Psyshock with Thunder, the reason being so that I could take advantage of the Rain and counter various walls, like Slowbro, who used to wall this set. It also does more damage to Tornadus and its other form. Ice Beam is for coverage against Dragons and would let me KO Hydreigon, who would otherwise wall this set. Rapid Spin is to eliminate entry hazards. While Toxic Spikes may poison Starmie, he has Natural Cure, which will cure it plus Rapid Spinning makes the Toxic
Spikes themselves get destroyed.

dragonite.png

Dragnor (Dragonite) (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Multiscale
EVs: 248 HP/ 44 Atk/ 212 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Claw
- Roost
- ExtremeSpeed

This guy is almost the same as he was before. Before, he had an offensive DD set, now he has a bulky DD set. Dragon Dance is what makes this set what it is. Dragon Claw is for STAB and I didn't want to be locked into Outrage. Roost is for healing. ExtremeSpeed is for priority and deals a good amount of damage regardless.

cute_pokemon_jirachi.png

Twilight (Jirachi) @ Leftovers
Trait: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 224 SDef / 32 Spd
Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Iron Head
- Stealth Rock
- Thunder Wave
- Body Slam

This Pokemon was also suggested to me by ShadowLugia to form as a lead and to get some entry hazards in, because my previous team had no entry hazards. Stealth Rock is that entry hazard that I was talking about and that is its main purpose. It also functions as a support, utilizing Thunder Wave for paralysis, which completely destroys your opponent's Pokemon's Speed. Iron Head is for STAB and more hax, as its ability causes the probability of secondary effects to double, which means that the probability for the opponent to flinch is now 60%. The reason why I got Body Slam and replaced Thunder Wave was while there were very few games where Jirachi had used Wish, Body Slam will be do most of the paralyzing.

Slippy (Politoad) (M) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Drizzle
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power [Grass]

The very core of my team. As now that my team is based on Rain, we need an auto-inducer, and Politoad fits the bill as his Ability is Drizzle. (Yes, I know it's his Dream World ability) However though, his base stats are a little low, but since his Special Attack is better than his physical attack (and yes, again, I had him on my reserve before I put this RMT up), so I picked him up, and put him here. Choice Scarf was suggested to me so that I may be able to counter faster threats that I could KO. Hydro Pump is for STAB and will do massive damage to anything not resistant or immune to Water type moves. Ice Beam is for coverage and will destroy any Grass type not named Ferrothorn. Because Focus Blast will obliterate Ferrothorn! It is also his best defense against Ms. Pink Blob (Chansey) and Mrs. Pink Blob (Blissey), but it will only deal around 30-40% though.

Tornadus (Therian form) (M) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Regenerator
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
- Hurricane
- U-Turn
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Focus Blast

Reference(s)

ShadowLugia
Equinox
Bippa
Fridge

My username on Pokemon Online is Sir Koopaman

Thanks to everyone who has helped with this team as I have made it to the Finals in 1 tournament

Shadow Scyther said:
Approved . Next time post the thread once not 3 times :p

Okay. The reason why that whole thing happened was probably my laptop just slowed down and lagged. It's fixed now though.

Your team looks pretty solid! I'd recommend changing Rotom-W for maybe Gastrodon, as Terrakion can easily dispose of Gyarados, Dragonite, and Scrafty.

Equinox said:
Your team looks pretty solid! I'd recommend changing Rotom-W for maybe Gastrodon, as Terrakion can easily dispose of Gyarados, Dragonite, and Scrafty.

What set of Gastrodon?

EDIT: I placed a poll to help further decide to structure of my team.

Depends, you could go with Stock Pile

which is basically just:

Gastrodon@Leftovers
Nature: Sass/Calm
Trait: Storm Drain
252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
~ Stock Pile
~ Ice Beam / Scald
~ Toxic
~ Recover

Or you can go for the regular set:

Gastrodon@Leftovers
252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
~ Stock Pile
~ Ice Beam / Scald
~ Toxic
~ Recover

Equinox said:
Depends, you could go with Stock Pile

which is basically just:

Gastrodon@Leftovers
252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
~ Stock Pile
~ Ice Beam / Scald
~ Toxic
~ Recover

Or you can go for the regular set:

Gastrodon@Leftovers
252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
~ Stock Pile
~ Ice Beam / Scald
~ Toxic
~ Recover

I really like this set, but what does Stockpile do?

Right off the bat, I'm noticing that this team focuses on setting up way too much, and if you aren't able to set up early, you'll have a lot of problems throughout many of your games. Judging by the Pokemon you're using so far, this team has the potential to become a excellent bulky offense team, and would perform even better under rain.

On to the individual members. In all honesty, Scrafty and Gyarados don't seem to be doing much for your team at all. They are both handled quite easily if they are prevented from setting up, and seeing as how you have 3 Pokemon that totally rely on DD, your opponent will easily figure out a way to do just that. So, to start off, I think that replacing Gyarados for Choice Specs Politoed would be a smart move. This way, you can get up rain to aid your team while still keeping some offensive power in the form of Specs Hydro Pump. I'll post a set just for reference:

Politoed @ Choice Specs
Trait: Drizzle
EV's: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature (+SpA, -Atk)
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power Grass

Next, Dragonite. Since this team would work much smoother as a bulky offense team, utilizing a Bulky DD set on Dragonite would be the preferred choice. This way, you'll be able to sponge more hits with Dragonite and bring that annoyance factor, while still hitting just as hard.

Dragonite @ Leftovers
Trait: Multiscale
EV's: 252 HP / 44 Atk / 212 Spe
Jolly Nature (+Spe, -SpA)
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Claw
- Roost
- Waterfall

There's also the option of running a Substitute DD set, replacing Waterfall with the ability to set up a sub and putting your opponent in a much tougher situation, forcing them to try to get Nite out of it's sub before it sets up. I can post that set and EV's as well if you're interested.

Next, I think Specially Defensive Jirachi would make an excellent addition to this team over Gengar would be a smart move, since your team desperately needs some hazards and defensive presence to make the Bulky Offense them work. Jirachi can set up Stealth Rock, offer Wish support, and sponge almost any special sweeper that threatens your team. Alternatively, you could use a SubCM set, since your entire team doesn't already focus on setting up now. I'll post the bread-and-butter Jirachi set here:

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Trait: Serene Grace
EV's: 252 HP / 224 SpD / 32 Spe
Careful Nature (+SpD, -SpA)
- Iron Head
- Stealth Rock
- Body Slam/Thunder Wave
- Wish

Finally, we have Scrafty. Scrafty is an excellent Pokemon and brings a big surprise factor to many teams, but it doesn't receive many benefits from a rain team. I think Breloom would make a better offensive choice for the last slot on your team. Both Techniloom and Poison Heal Breloom have merits to the team, so feel free to try out either one and figure out which set works the best for your team. I'll post both sets for reference.

Breloom @ Life Orb
Trait: Technician
EV's: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature (+Spe, -SpA]
- Swords Dance/Stone Edge
- Bullet Seed
- Mach Punch
- Spore

Breloom @ Toxic Orb
Trait: Poison Heal
EV's: 12 HP / 244 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SpA)
- Substitute
- Focus Punch
- Spore
- Seed Bomb

All in all, I really like the premise of the team; it has a great core and handles threats well after a little nitpicking. Good luck with the team, and hopefully I could be of help.

Alright time to get fixing.

@ShadowLugia, I really like you suggestions, but to be honest, I'd really like to keep Scrafty on the team, albeit as a Bulk Up set up sweeper this time, and replace my DD Gyarados for Breloom. The reason being was to eliminate that weakness to Choice Scarf Magnezone.

@Equinox, Because I was a little nervous about getting walled, I've decided to add both Scald and Ice Beam because I won't be walled by Steels, if I pick Ice Beam, or Dragons, if I pick Scald.

EDIT: Scrafty's UU???? Noooooo!!!! :*( Disregard what I said about that whole DD Gyarados and Breloom thing. I'm also gonna update my team tomorrow on this forum but update on Pokemon Online tonight. I'll miss you Draco...

Just because Scrafty is UU doesn't mean you can't use him. And btw, adding some nice pictures to your RMT is always appreciated, since yours is a bit bland at the moment, no offense. ;]

Can I just give you some formatting tips? Your pictures are very big; if you got these from Google, then there's an option where you can find a different size and make it not take up so much room. Also, not everything needs to be bolded; the changes in the set is enough. That's it, though. (although centering the sets and picture makes it neater)

Your Pokemon sets look pretty good, though. Personally I would prefer Tank Gastrodon here because of the set up sweepers you have, but that's up to you. Good luck with your team!

The Yoshi said:
Can I just give you some formatting tips? Your pictures are very big; if you got these from Google, then there's an option where you can find a different size and make it not take up so much room. Also, not everything needs to be bolded; the changes in the set is enough. That's it, though. (although centering the sets and picture makes it neater)

Your Pokemon sets look pretty good, though. Personally I would prefer Tank Gastrodon here because of the set up sweepers you have, but that's up to you. Good luck with your team!

Do you mind giving me the set, because I really can't operate without clear guidelines. (for who knows what reason)

Anyways, I've been hearing about Keldeo and the Therian forms, especially Thunderus's form. Would either one of them, or both of them, help my team, because I find myself being obliterated by Poison Heal Gliscor (if I don't put it to sleep) and powerful offensive threats, so I was thinking if some offense would be good. Again, I'll be willing to take 95+% of all suggestions (the rest would be troll suggestions, like... do I really need to give an example? Just picture it in your heads.), but other than those I'll consider the rest. Good day.

EDIT: Yes I can fix those pictures.

Gastrodon @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Nature: Sassy / Calm

-Earth Power
-Ice Beam / Scald
-Toxic
-Recover

That is a general Gastro set, and should fix problems with Gliscor if you opt for Ice Beam.

Hmm. Since you've got a rain team here, Scarf Thundurus-T would really help you. It's the best revenge killer for rain teams, and it is an excellent cleaner. I use it on all of my teams and it hasn't let me down. I'd probably replace Gyarados with Scarf Thundurus-T.

Thundurus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
Naive / Timid Nature
Trait: Volt Absorb
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SAtk / 252 Spe or 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spe
-Thunder
-Hidden Power Ice
-Volt Switch
-Superpower / Focus Blast

Go with Naive and the first set of EVs if you want Superpower. If you want Focus Blast, use the second set of EVs and the Timid Nature. I prefer Superpower because it's great at smashing things like Tyranitar and Heatran who are common switchins to most Thundurus-T.

Bippa said:
Hmm. Since you've got a rain team here, Scarf Thundurus-T would really help you. It's the best revenge killer for rain teams, and it is an excellent cleaner. I use it on all of my teams and it hasn't let me down. I'd probably replace Gyarados with Scarf Thundurus-T.

Thundurus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
Naive / Timid Nature
Trait: Volt Absorb
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SAtk / 252 Spe or 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spe
-Thunder
-Hidden Power Ice
-Volt Switch
-Superpower / Focus Blast

Go with Naive and the first set of EVs if you want Superpower. If you want Focus Blast, use the second set of EVs and the Timid Nature. I prefer Superpower because it's great at smashing things like Tyranitar and Heatran who are common switchins to most Thundurus-T.

I really like this idea, but personally, Gyarados has really been doing well for my team (got 2 sweeps today...so far!), so I might replace Dragonite. Good idea, or no?

Losing Dragonite means losing your only priority, which is awesome in taking down fast and frail Pokemon like Starmie, Tornadus-T and Thundurus-T. Dragonite is an awesome anti-sun Pokemon, and it does pretty well against rain as well. Bulky DD Dragonite is an awesome Pokemon, and I don't think it would be wise to replace it.

Alternately, you could go back to Technician Breloom, which will give you the best Terrakion check. Then you could probably fit Thundurus-T over Gastrodon. But this gives you three Pokemon weak to Stealth Rock, which will in turn require a rapid spinner, like Starmie, and I'm not sure where to fit that in.

One other thing I just noticed was how weak your team is to Ferrothorn and Skarmory. You're team's offensive core is completely composed of physical set-up sweepers, so these bulky Pokemon can tank your hits all day long (and Skarmory can phase you). You'll want some offensive special attacker for your team to get past things like Skarmory, preferably one that doesn't have to set up. This is where I think Starmie could fit.

In a nutshell:
-Gyarados --> Starmie. This gives you critical rapid spin support for Dragonite's Multiscale, and it isn't too shabby at offense either. Let me know if you need a set.
-Breloom --> Technician Breloom. Gives you the best Terrakion check, while giving you Mach punch priority.
-Gastrodon --> Thundurus-T. With your main use of Gastrodon (checking Terrakion) gone, Gastrodon should be replaced by this dude. Thundurus-T gives you an incredibly fast Pokemon that's great at revenge killing MoxieMence, Scarfed Base 100s and any kind of Dragonite

Minor Note: Body Slam is better than Thunder Wave on Jirachi due to being able to paralyze Thundurus-T switchins, as well as Landorus switchins. 60% chance is still pretty good.

Bippa said:
Losing Dragonite means losing your only priority, which is awesome in taking down fast and frail Pokemon like Starmie, Tornadus-T and Thundurus-T. Dragonite is an awesome anti-sun Pokemon, and it does pretty well against rain as well. Bulky DD Dragonite is an awesome Pokemon, and I don't think it would be wise to replace it.

Alternately, you could go back to Technician Breloom, which will give you the best Terrakion check. Then you could probably fit Thundurus-T over Gastrodon. But this gives you three Pokemon weak to Stealth Rock, which will in turn require a rapid spinner, like Starmie, and I'm not sure where to fit that in.

One other thing I just noticed was how weak your team is to Ferrothorn and Skarmory. You're team's offensive core is completely composed of physical set-up sweepers, so these bulky Pokemon can tank your hits all day long (and Skarmory can phase you). You'll want some offensive special attacker for your team to get past things like Skarmory, preferably one that doesn't have to set up. This is where I think Starmie could fit.

In a nutshell:
-Gyarados --> Starmie. This gives you critical rapid spin support for Dragonite's Multiscale, and it isn't too shabby at offense either. Let me know if you need a set.
-Breloom --> Technician Breloom. Gives you the best Terrakion check, while giving you Mach punch priority.
-Gastrodon --> Thundurus-T. With your main use of Gastrodon (checking Terrakion) gone, Gastrodon should be replaced by this dude. Thundurus-T gives you an incredibly fast Pokemon that's great at revenge killing MoxieMence, Scarfed Base 100s and any kind of Dragonite

Minor Note: Body Slam is better than Thunder Wave on Jirachi due to being able to paralyze Thundurus-T switchins, as well as Landorus switchins. 60% chance is still pretty good.

Okay. I'll update my team on Pokemon Online immediately and update this thread in 2 day's time. Also, is Thunderus-T OU or ubers?

Back