3 Legendary Birds...and Arcanine?

green_monkey

Monkey Pokémon Maniac
So, I was re-watching some of the original Pokémon episodes and I noticed something I hadn't noticed until now. In one episode near the beginning of the series, Ash is at a Pokémon centre and he sees a carving of 4 Legendary Pokémon. Articuno, Zapdos, and Moltres....But I noticed a fourth....it looked like a dog...Then I remembered Arcanine's Pokédex entry...Here is the picture:

2111890873_06172010_1.png

That's right! In the original plan there were four Legendary Birds, possibly controlled by Arcanine, instead of not-yet-released Ho-oH! So, I think if it wasn't for Arcanine being scrapped as one of the Legendary Pokémon, we wouldn't have the Legendary Beasts we have today!

This might also mean Arcanine was never supposed to be a {R} type in the original plan! And by the picture it looks like Zapdos was supposed to be {G} (following the starter type trio) and Arcanine was supposed to be the {L} type. This might also explain his super-awesome-speed!

So, what do you think Pokébeach?

This is where anime/game inconsistencies arise.

The people who make the anime are not affiliated with Nintendo, other than buying the rights to the anime, so they can put what they like. The creators of Pokemon never intended for Arcanine to be a legendary.

^But Arcanine's BST are 555 which is the highest in the games not counting legendary, pseudo-legendary pokémon & slaking... this may indicate that arcanine was indeed meant to be a legendary but they gave up on that...

I can see why they gave up on it... I know, its an amazingly strong pokemon.. but most legendaries are... well.. legendary. I didn't get that from Arcaine. It is known as the Legendary Pokemon, but maybe Legendary as in great? Rather than powerful and rare.

Arcanine has a pre-evolution: Growlithe which evolves into Arcanine. Legendary Pokemon don't tend to evolve.

Ice Arceus said:
Arcanine has a pre-evolution: Growlithe which evolves into Arcanine. Legendary Pokemon don't tend to evolve.
Maybe he wasn't originally planned to evolve. I think that this makes a lot of sense. I completely agree with it.

Indeed, Arcanine was intended to be a Legendary Pokémon, but was nerfed down and received a pre-evolution for whatever reasons.

I like how they wanted to classify the main Legendary Pokémon as "Legendary", by the way.

FireMeowth said:
I like how they wanted to classify the main Legendary Pokémon as "Legendary", by the way.
That's because the main Legendary Pokémon are legendary, so they are legendary which is legendary.

;)

IM sure to that time Arcanine counted as a Legendary Pokemon but then when the legendary Dogs came Arcanine got down

The creators made Arcanine a non-legendary with a pre-evolution. They probably thought of this when they were creating the rest of the first batch of legendaries.

Just a screw up on Pokemon. Arcanine was never meant to be a Legendary Pokemon. The only reason he's on there is because he classifies as, "The Legendary Pokemon." this is because of his speed, his regalness, and his popularity within Kanto as being a majestic Pokemon.

But let's face it, Pokemon needed a 4th Pokemon to complete that square, and Mew and Ho-oh hadn't been released yet. Arcanine was just a filler.

Hmm... interesting. It does resemble Arcanine a lot. Although, on the cards it says Arcanine the Legendary Pokemon IIRC... he does rock though. :p
WP

thats pretty weird, it has arcanine, i never noticed that, its like misplaced or something compared to how it is now

Mmh. Arcanine, she can be capable to be a legendary..But legends don't normally have Genders. (Excluding Latias, Latios, Cressilia, and Heatran.)

Arcanine was originally planned to be the fire type of the legendary trio, but because they didn't match they created Moltres. Arcanine would still be a legendary and after that they made Growlithe and Arcanine non-legendary so the player could have a strong fire type besides Charizard.

[private] edited for bad grammar, since it's his first post, I didn't sent a PM *Drohn [/private]

That picture must definitly be Arcanine but I've never heard anything about it being originally planned as a legendary.
I just think that we shouldn't give much importance to this because if I'm not mistaken there was somewhat of an error in the episode where Ash and co. meet Bill and Mewtwo is one of the engraved Pokémon on the door of Bill's lighthouse so, like someone said already, it's probably a mistake.

Back