Help 2018 Rotation Deck Help

Hugo

Aspiring Trainer
Hi,

At the moment I'm running a Passimian/Solgaleo GX/Incineroar, I would like to turn this into a more meta, competitive deck. Help is greatly appreciated thanks.

Currently I'm just playing against friends in standard format but would like to make a more competitive deck so that I can really have some fun. I'm willing to spend $50-$100. The thing is that I don't want to be investing $8 in 1 VS Seeker to have it rotate out in 6 months, likewise I don't want want to buy any Shaymin because they are going to rotate. So I'd like the deck to only include cards that won't rotate in the 2018 rotation. At the moment I only have Sun and Moon cards from packs and an elite trainer box that I opened, I'm happy to by specific cards online though.

I also live in Tokyo Japan, but am playing with English cards so it can sometimes be quite pricey to ship something over. At the moment Troll and Toad have a deal of international shipping for $5 when you spend $50 or more on Pokemon singles, so I will buy from there unless anyone can recommend a place in Tokyo that sells English cards or a cheaper place online with quicker shipping.

This is my current deck list;

Please feel free to criticize it but be constructive.

Passimian/Solgaleo GX/Incineroar

Pokemon - 17
  • 3 Litten
  • 3 Torracat
  • 3 Incineroar
  • 4 Passimian
  • 1 Oranguru
  • 2 Cosmog
  • 1 Cosmoem
  • 1 Solgaleo GX

Energy - 13
  • 2 DCE
  • 6 Fire
  • 5 Metal

Trainer - 30
Item 20:
  • 2 Nest Ball
  • 3 Timer Ball
  • 1 Energy Retrieval
  • 3 Ultra Ball
  • 1 Exp Share
  • Budy-Budy Rescue (Breakthrough)
  • 2 Pokemon Catcher
  • 1 Repel
  • 1 Potion
  • 1 Switch
  • 2 Big Malasada
  • 1 Great Ball
  • 1 Poke Ball
Supporter 10:
  • 2 Lillie
  • 3 Hau
  • 2 Professor Kukui
  • 2 Llima
  • 1 Team Skull Grunt

I'm not dumb by the way, I know I want to be playing 4 ultra ball and other stuff like that, but I'm just waiting till I know what other cards to buy before I do that.
Please help I will be grateful for anything you can help me with.

Strategy:
Try and set up one of the evolution lines Solgaleo or Incineroar, but if that dosn't work then set up 3 passimian on bench and 1 active so you can be hitting for 100 damage.

Just post a comment with any questions and i will respond pretty quickly.

Thanks

I see three separate things to address here:

1) How to ease into Pokémon
2) How to best invest in light of the next set rotation
3) How to improve your deck

I actually went to post earlier, hit some technical difficulties, and am now short on time, so I'm just tackling the first two.

If you are just playing among friends, not attending tournaments, consider World Championship Decks. I don't mean the lists used by people at the World Championships; every year four decks that did well (usually the winners less duplicates) are released as a combination memento and training tool for the game. MSRP is like $12.99, and I know at least one (Black Dragon) comes with 2 Shaymin-EX (ROS) and 4 VS Seeker. I don't know if it is still the case, but it used to be that Pokémon Leagues had the option of whether to allow these cards or not on an individual basis. Oh, and if you find it someplace like your local Wal-Mart, its probably going to be a little below the MSRP.

If these are not an option, then consider the Battle Arena Decks; I don't know about the next one, but the most recent that has actually released is Keldeo Vs Rayquaza; while they are focused on helping people with Expanded play, they contain several valuable staples still legal for Standard play until the next rotation, or through the next rotation. This is a two deck set, balanced to use against each other, and I think the MSRP is $29.99. Again, if you can afford to bargain hunt, you might get it for a little less.

Now, as for rotation, dude it is six months away. Unless you and your friends hardly play and you all have really weak decks, you should get your money's worth from a VS Seeker or two. $8 over six months. If you are trying for success in competitive play then you should easily get your money's worth. Unless you're not likely to win anyway (hey, that describes me as I tend to choke under pressure ^^'). People seriously use the Expanded Format, which matters because it means you should be able to sell any currently Standard legal staples that will remain competitive when they become Expanded only... like VS Seeker. Reprints are still possible for stuff like VS Seeker; in fact the card was first released about 13 years ago, was legal for a few years, rotated out of Modified (Standard) play, and was re-released a few years ago, bringing it back.

So if I was to summarize, you're making this way harder on yourself than you need to.

Another card to consider is Trainers' Mail (2-3 bucks a pop), which would rotate but it's getting reprinted, it makes decks very consistent and you shouldn't play the "basic" trainers like Poke Ball, Great Ball, and Potion

Ok thanks, I'm not able to get any world championship decks, but I have ordered 1 Battle Arena Deck;Keldeo Vs Rayquaza. I will look into buying some singles like trainers mails, N's, sycamores, e.t.c.

Thanks for the help.

A question now.

1. I heard there's a black kyurem vs white kyurem battle arena deck coming out in may/june, is that were a lot of the good trainers are being reprinted?
When it comes out should I invest in a few of those?

Back