• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Alt. Format 2017 Yvelplume - No Item Cards!?

21times

Aspiring Trainer
Ok so if you think I'm completely bonkers, then move on to the next post and just call me crazy, but I've been working on a deck with absolutely no item cards. I will be more than happy to consider any suggestions including alternatives to Yveltal and Zoroark, but please do not suggest any item cards. I know it's way out there, but I've had some success with it. And it's really more of an exercise simply to see if it can be done.

Also, I am already totally living in 2017 standard rotation, so please only new standard rotation suggestions.

1 Yveltal
1 Yveltal break
2 Zorua
2 Zoroark
3 Yveltal EX
4 Oddish
4 Gloom
4 Vileplume

4 Birch
4 N
2 Sycamore
2 Lysandre
4 Wally
4 FOGP
4 Shauna
1 Ninja boy
1 Olympia
1 Pokemon Fan Club

4 Dangerous energy
4 DCE
4 Dark energy

A 1-1 Yveltal line is "risky" in that you my not be ever able to use the BREAK if either Pokémon is prized.

From my own experience in running Dark decks, I believe Zoroark BREAK is just too good to omit from your list. I would suggest incorporating at least 1; it's that amazing, IMO.

Which Zorua are you running? I prefer the one with the Moonlight Madness attack. Auto-Confusion can be quite helpful at times.

I'm not sure, but it seems to me that the 4 Dangerous energy are high priority targets for removal by opponents (who can remove them with either Team Flare Grunt and/or C/E Hammer after playing a Hex Maniac). Plus, with just the 4 Basic Dark, you may be limiting your options. Have you considered running Dark energy, no Dangerous energy, and 1 Fisherman for energy recovery? Plus, you intend to pay the energy cost for retreating; so, running the 8 Basic Dark + a Fisherman would aid you.

Are you finding that the 12 card-draw Supporters to be excessive or perhaps not the right "mix"? Why no Giovanni's Scheme which gives you the option of drawing up to 5 cards or inflicting an additional 20 damage?

Suggested deck changes for your consideration:

-1 Yveltal BREAK
-1 Vileplume - a 4-4-4 line seems excessive
-1 Gloom
-2 Shauna (or -1 N and -1 Shauna)
-4 Dangerous

+1 Yveltal (Fright Night assuming the current Yveltal has the Oblivion Wing attack)
+1 Zoroark BREAK
+1 Fisherman
+2 Giovanni's Scheme
+4 Dark

I hope you find these comments helpful.

I agree I do like the zoroark break but I don't have one. I just got yveltal break and wanted to try that.

I like the dangerous energy but I'll give it a shot with regular and add the fisherman. I've never actually tried Giovanni, I'll give it a shot.

And thanks for mot calling me crazy!

Edit: Oh and as far as the draw support, it's nice to have the options. It is probably excessive but I always have at least 1.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree I do like the zoroark break but I don't have one. I just got yveltal break and wanted to try that.

I like the dangerous energy but I'll give it a shot with regular and add the fisherman. I've never actually tried Giovanni, I'll give it a shot.

And thanks for mot calling me crazy!
You aren't crazy I'm currently testing Vileplume again for worlds and one thing I've found is that Big Basics are good partners. I would recommend a level Ball/Ultra Ball type engine. I can't really suggest changes, but feel free to toy around with a more Ball-focused engine. I played Vileplume with Jolteon in my regionals winning list and here's a link (Not a lot should be rotated besides muscle bands, Jirachi-EX, and Comp. Search) Link is here: http://www.pokemon.com/us/play-poke...tin-bennett-vileplume-jolteon-senior-division Feel free to use this as a reference for a Ball-based Vileplume engine! Hope this helps! :)

I did have 4 ultra balls and 4 evosoda but I found that I was getting the vileplume up so quickly that they really became dead cards.... Sorry moderators but I'm going to sidetrack a little here, but if I have the chance to ask a regional champion a question I'm going to take it.

Gabking, do you think Jolteon will be less effective in the new rotation? I'm guessing he will be less so I'm thinking about trading him and moving more towards Sceptile.

I did have 4 ultra balls and 4 evosoda but I found that I was getting the vileplume up so quickly that they really became dead cards.... Sorry moderators but I'm going to sidetrack a little here, but if I have the chance to ask a regional champion a question I'm going to take it.

Gabking, do you think Jolteon will be less effective in the new rotation? I'm guessing he will be less so I'm thinking about trading him and moving more towards Sceptile.
Well it depends on the format. I would say in standard definetly because of the presence of megaray but in expanded noto so much because of the presence of Yveltal and night march.

So I guess I'm thinking that we're going to see the rise of the megas in the new rotation. I think there's general consensus that mewtwo, reyquaza, sceptile, even Alakazam are all going to be more significant in the new rotation. If evolved pokemon are becoming more significant in the new rotation, doesn't that inherently make Jolteon less impactful?

You aren't crazy I'm currently testing Vileplume again for worlds and one thing I've found is that Big Basics are good partners. I would recommend a level Ball/Ultra Ball type engine. I can't really suggest changes, but feel free to toy around with a more Ball-focused engine. I played Vileplume with Jolteon in my regionals winning list and here's a link (Not a lot should be rotated besides muscle bands, Jirachi-EX, and Comp. Search) Link is here: http://www.pokemon.com/us/play-poke...tin-bennett-vileplume-jolteon-senior-division Feel free to use this as a reference for a Ball-based Vileplume engine! Hope this helps! :)
This part of the comment doesn't have to do with this thread. But clicking that link, I learned the one you beat in the finals was my old buddy Wyatt who moved.

But now for the thread: you don't need 3 Yveltal-EX since they leave you open to a bad prize trade, and I don't see the point in Zoroark either, but it is a non-EX attacker with a different weakness, so nvm I guess? You definitely need more baby Yveltal, especially with the Break. I suggest you up your Yveltal lineup to 2 BKT, and 2 XY. This sounds silly, but maybe drop another Yveltal-EX for a Lugia-EX? Since you can't use items, it can be hard to get a Float stone and a benched Zorua T1 at the same time, so just using DCE with a one-of Lugia could work. Plus, it can discard stadiums if you can't get the resources to pull another one out. I also think you should drop the Dangerous Energy. It just leaves you too prone to Jirachi. Jirachi is always your go-to for Vileplume decks, since they ALWAYS run special energy. Playing DCE against Jirachi is bad enough, but add Dangerous Energy into the mix, and it becomes anything but(Dangerous) for the opponent. just my thoughts. And if you want the T1 Vileplume(Which you do want), drop the Evosodas, they are a horrible card, especially for Vileplume when you can't play items. I also agree with the others by saying you should have a more Ball-search based engine, as it is more reliable. Those are my thoughts, so I hope I helped!
EDIT: I just looked and it looks like you changed it. And yes, Jolteon is less impactful. Regice and Glaceon-EX are going to be good though.

Stadiums aren't item cards. You should definitely add in some Forest of Giant Plants (unless you do already and I'm blind lol)

Hey folks, just remember that this thread is for specific suggestions for the OP decklist. I've deleted a few posts that were off-topic; if you would like to discuss more private life stuff, please use PMs or post on the member's profile. =) ~bbninjas

Back