2014 World Cup in Brazil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Really hoping Messi comes through today and leads Argentina to the final.

SuperMatejVydra said:
Chaos Jackal said:
Yeah, Marcelo and David Luiz had put great defensive plays in previous matches. Perhaps the absence of Neymar and Silva wasn't so bad in terms of the team's capabilities as it was in terms of organizing and cooperating. Brazil's players already had trouble cooperating (as I had said before, Brazil was No.1 in individual skills but bad at teamwork) and without their original captain and main defender to organize the back along with the main attacker to organize the front they just crumbled, being unable to play as a team.
Absolutely. Silva is the backbone of the Brazilian defence and as you say, without him there was a real lack of defensive organisation. I think part of what Neymar offers to Brazil is simply his ability to create chances all on his own. In attack the go-to option seemed to be long range passes over the top from Luiz which were either picked off by the German defence out occasionally lead to half chances when they found Hulk/Bernard, which isn't really a credible manner of attacking play at all.

Yeah, but Neymar wouldn't have helped Brazil win yesterday, not the way Brazil's defenders played. Scolari made a huge mistake though, by not selecting other players who can create their own offense. Robinho, Alexandre Pato, and Kaka would've improved Brazil's offense 10-fold. Plus, briging in Ganzo and Ronaldinho as modfielders gives you a higher chance of completing long passes, unlike what was happening yesterday with Luiz consistently getting his passes picked off.

A minute of applause as tribute to Alfredo Di Stéfano who passed away aged 88 on Monday. Nice gesture for a phenomenal player.

Argentina and the Netherlands had a hard fought match and it's really painful to lose so close to the end.

Germany vs. Argentina should be an interesting final.

Argentina moves on to the finals against Germany.

4-2 in penalties.

Netherlands plays Brazil on Saturday for 3rd place.

Ugh, that game was really dull. One good chance for Robben in the second half but a poor touch took it away from him at the crucial moment. Disappointed that we won't see a Germany vs Netherlands final but it will be interesting to see how Messi performs on the biggest stage of all.

SuperMatejVydra said:
Ugh, that game was really dull. One good chance for Robben in the second half but a poor touch took it away from him at the crucial moment. Disappointed that we won't see a Germany vs Netherlands final but it will be interesting to see how Messi performs on the biggest stage of all.

Hopefully he does better than he did today.

Patriots Fan said:
SuperMatejVydra said:

Hopefully he does better than he did today.

Yeah, he was fairly anonymous, didn't do anything of note really. He might step up in the final, or maybe he'll struggle to cope with the pressure. We'll have to see.

Well... that was a boring game. Didn't watch the extra time, as I was disappointed and tired from the main match. Hopefully the final will be better, 'cos that was extremely meh.

I ended up staying up for this match after all, a poor decision on my part. A very boring game to watch and it just kept dragging on. I'll be cheering for Germany in the finals, though. :)

3rd/4th place playoff on at the moment, the Netherlands have taken a 2-0 lead within 17 minutes. This match always seems kinda pointless to me, nobody wants to be in it but teams still seem to hold it in some regard. I suppose it's a chance for a little redemption after losing a semi-final though.

SuperMatejVydra said:
3rd/4th place playoff on at the moment, the Netherlands have taken a 2-0 lead within 17 minutes. This match always seems kinda pointless to me, nobody wants to be in it but teams still seem to hold it in some regard. I suppose it's a chance for a little redemption after losing a semi-final though.

Brazil seems to have checked out two rounds ago...

Mr.Muffin said:
I think Germany will win.

HMm Messi might have something to say about that.

Btw, anyone see that nice acting again by Robben? Lol, somebody give this guy a job in Hollywood already xD

Patriots Fan said:
Btw, anyone see that nice acting again by Robben? Lol, somebody give this guy a job in Hollywood already xD

His fall into the box was pretty theatrical, can't believe the ref gave a penalty rather than a free kick, looked quite clear that the original contact was outside the box. What shocked me most though was that Thiago Silva wasn't sent off despite denying a clear goalscoring opportunity.

SuperMatejVydra said:

The Netherlands clearly were making this best of this moment and Brazil I think, was still shellshocked and reeling from their epic defeat by the Germans.

Tails said:
SuperMatejVydra said:

The Netherlands clearly were making this best of this moment and Brazil I think, was still shellshocked and reeling from their epic defeat by the Germans.

Yeah, that sounds about right. The Brazilian players probably already have their minds on heading off for a holiday before the football season kicks off again. The Netherlands played reasonably well today, not much more than that though, Brazil were poor.

SuperMatejVydra said:
Tails said:

Yeah, that sounds about right. The Brazilian players probably already have their minds on heading off for a holiday before the football season kicks off again. The Netherlands played reasonably well today, not much more than that though, Brazil were poor.

I believe the Brazilians were thinking about the offseason as soon as Neymar was lost for the remaining WC games. No other explanation for why the Brazilians became so horrible from one game to the next. They probably knew they were hopeless without Neymar.

The final tonight is expected to be boring with a chance of penalties... I'm gonna watch it out of principle, but if it turns out like the last three matches in any way, then I'm outta here.
It truly is a shame that a World Cup which seemed so promising in the beginning ended up becoming so dull in the last rounds...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back