(1) Xerneas-EX, Yveltal-EX, Venusaur-EX, and Blastoise-EX from XY Collections Revealed! [10/10]

I'm really disappointed that EX's are being continued. I was hoping there would've been some changes in an attempt to shift back and that megas would be the new thing. But now it's looking like we're going to have mega EX's. I guess now I can only hope for the best in that metagame.

My reservations aside I really like Venusaur-EX. Possibly a new grass to join the VirGen party. Xerneas-EX is cool as well. I'm excited to test them.

DNA said:
I'm from a pretty big Pokemon State, and yes, no one liked back when DP started the rule changes nor the Pokemon.
I'm from Southern California.

Your move, sir.

If you've nothing else to say, we should probably get back on topic.

*coughs loudly* SoCal isn't it's own Pokemon State and didn't you know only people from Cali can win Cali regionals haha... *dry laugh* NorCal might look like a joke to some people but we have our fair share of good players (and when I mean good I mean honorable, nice people) Some of the SoCal people, no offense, have come off as brash, arrogant, and kind of rude in my experience last year. But that's in my experience not that everyone from SoCal is like that (but most likely I was just running into alot of the LA crowd tbh)

Anywho, I don't like that they used EX's but then again its Stage 2's as more Fat Basics or EXs that you at least get punished for just willy-nilly dropping them. Given that in the VG, they're supposed to be almost on par with Legendaries, I get the thought process behind making EX's the requirement to go Mega. Do I agree with it? No, but if that means I'll be continuing my FA collection, sure why not XD

I'd expect a Charizard-EX and two Mega evolutions in the TCG but then again, I also expected Suicune-EX.

Anyway I am still optimistic. :p

I guess the best thing about EXes sticking around is that FAs will hopefully be sticking around too?

Then again, if legends and pre-mega EXes will be keeping the EX-rarity spot in XY, it makes me wonder how rare the Megas themselves will be. Maybe Megas will take the place of FAs (*sob*), or maybe they'll be even rarer and will take the place of shinies, though that seems unlikely.

I wonder how many rich changes we'll see graphically in the TCG's art to match the X/Y format. Do you think we'll have something like animated cards (they DO exist, btw), and new items and Supporters based off of the movie feature, or Pokemon-Amie? I sure hope so ^.==.^!

Mega Charizard X - 320 HP

*Flaming Tail Spin - 80x (F, F)
-Flip 4 coins. This attack does 80 damage times the number of heads to the defending Pokemon. Your opponent discards the top 3 cards of their deck for each tails.

*Mega Blue Flame Spit - 400 Damage (F, F, C, C)
-Discard 2 F energy attached to Mega Charizard X. Deal 400 Damage to the defending Pokemon and 100 damage to 1 of your opponent's benched Pokemon.

Wailady said:
Mega Charizard X - 320 HP

*Flaming Tail Spin - 80x (F, F)
-Flip 4 coins. This attack does 80 damage times the number of heads to the defending Pokemon. Your opponent discards the top 3 cards of their deck for each tails.

*Mega Blue Flame Spit - 400 Damage (F, F, C, C)
-Discard 2 F energy attached to Mega Charizard X. Deal 400 Damage to the defending Pokemon and 100 damage to 1 of your opponent's benched Pokemon.

I like big basics and I cannot lie
This card is so denied.

What? Basics will still be OP? What? You know 4 cards and are already calling code red. And all of these, minus Yvetal, are shit. And Yvetal isn't even that great. It can't counter itself and can't consistently throw attacks at you. And mega could have a cool clause like 'you can only have 1 mega pokemon in your deck' or 'you can only play 1 mega pokemon per game'. That would be rather balanced provided they don't screw up and give megas heaps of support and an easy way to get them out. Stop whining about what you don't know yet.

These EXs so far are nowhere near as good as BW EXs, its obvious they are trying to power down the EX cards to slow basic pokemon with lots of life, basically stage 2s with more setup less actual pokemon.by a few sets something new and amazing will be out like how EXs came in. plus with mega evos that just another round of setup, notice how none of these EX has a t1 move?, rarley a t2 move, and even then that first move is just ok, borderline good for 3 energy with the next attack not being that much more powerful. I mean the only one even close is Yveltal because Darkpatch, Double colorless, but even then there is the turn 1 rule and its forced to recycle either a dark or that DC away to the bench so you have to keep applying the fuel.

"We've heard your concerns how overpowered EX Pokemon are, and we see how much they push away non-EX Pokemon from the meta, so we gave them an upgrade (Mega evolutions) to make them even more overpowered"

I was planning on concluding this post with a fitting meme, but none of them are enough to show the ridiculousness of this.

Hahaha! Gamer already said it, but I think its worth repeating that our beloved Pokemon-EX are gonna become even more godmod! Wow, just wow. Good luck, Rare Candy eaters. Have fun chipping away at Mega Blastoise for, oh what, 3 turns? And by then Blastoise already knocks out a Pokemon, (2 if he hits weakness) and then Max Potion + Energy Retrieval.

I SHED TEARS OF JOY UPON STARING INTO THE PERFECTION THAT IS THIS PACK ART.

I really hope they are able to keep the aesthetics this good throughout the entire X and Y era, because everything about Black and White looked absolutely over-designed and terrible. Some of the worst graphic design I have ever seen Pokémon use. X and Y is looking like it is trying to create more of a Generation 3 type feeling, which I am perfectly okay with (especially if Ruby and Sapphire remakes). It is definitely already a step up from the Black and White era, which reminded me of a combination of Digimon and some sort of really poorly made dirt bike racing game for the PS1.

The Mega Pokémon mechanic is no surprise to me. Ending your turn was actually my guess as to what it was going to do. It seems fun, probably enjoyable and it adds another level of skill to the game (asides from Catcher being nerfed to be completely luck based sdgos;sdfbg).

These EX's are all terrible...Even Yveltal is pretty bad...Venusaur and Blastoise were clearly designed so that they need to be mega evolved to do anything great, and considering that not only do you have to evolve them, but it also eats up your attack for the turn, they'll probably just be too slow and clunky to be good anyways. Most of the EX's were good because they're fast and overwhelming, with hard hitting moves and high HP. If you need to find another card in your deck, evolve, and skip an attack just for them to be good, they're just weird stage 1's with too much health. I wouldn't be surprised if these mega evolutions went the way of the LEGEND pokemon, where really only 1 was good, and the rest were just pretty cool gimmicks.

So... we've seen four Pokémon-EX for X&Y. A cursory exam makes me think Blastoise and Venusaur are on the weak side, Xerneas seem about average, and Yveltal look good. Now most Pokémon-EX that see competitive play are at least what I would label as "good" quality.

Here is the thing; the first two are likely meant to be used as part of the Mega mechanic so it is too soon to dismiss them... and they do have that (current) max printed HP score of 180. Xerneas EX I think will "whiff" unless there is a deck that supports it; be that Energy acceleration, damage boosting, or some other "trick" for Fairy Type Pokémon.

Yveltal EX looks good to me. The good news it that they didn't make it as easy to abuse as Mewtwo EX, but neither did they make it that much safer. You can't just drop a single Double Colorless Energy to fuel it in one turn or go for a first turn attack. What you can do is hit hard second turn with just a little effort (and next to no effort Turn 3). If the first attack isn't going to do enough more to matter, the second attack delivers the "going rate" of 90 points of damage while shunting an Energy to something on your Bench. We may find it possible to "stream" this Pokémon; if you don't OHKO it, dedicated Darkness decks might be able to afford retreating and using a Max Potion while the next Yveltal EX heads up, primed to hit for another respectable 90 points of damage.

I wouldn't be surprised if we saw Mega Evolution cards in the next Coro Coro. Now that the Pokémon XY games have officially been released, they don't have anything on that end to leak.

I'm waiting to see Charizard EX and its mega. I've been waiting for a viable fire attacker and I hope this will be it.

I don't really see Blastoise EX seeing play, maybe the mega will change that.

Venusaur looks good for VirGen with Virbank, Excited to see it's mega evolution.

SynxS1N said:
I'm waiting to see Charizard EX and its mega. I've been waiting for a viable fire attacker and I hope this will be it.

Looks like you'll be waiting awhile since its unlikely that Charizard EX and its mega form will be in this set. :<

Back