(1) X/Y Pokemon Direct [9/4]

ryter78 said:
xxashxx said:
The downside is that this could be easily hacked. Anything stored online is now easily hacked. I hope they don't just do online transferring. I prefer the methods they have right now XD. It is much safer than storing your data online through clouds. Clouds are very easy to break in to XD.:)

They said they'll have security measures for online storage.

I know but stil that does not protect you completely like the way they have had that measure until now. Now that they are doing this it might be very hard just to transfer my Black team XD. I hope they keep the PC method as well. I hope this is not a requirement or I will be really mad.:(

Kalyst said:
You were never trading for free *facepalm* To trade back in the old days you needed a LINK CABLE. Or did you all conveniently forget that? It was never "free" but you'r 5-9 year old minds didn't call that extortion-your parents probably did though lol. Then you needed a wireless adapter-that upped the cost of buying Fire Red/Leaf Green. With the advent of D/P you needed to pay for internet access or a router to get Wifi because they encrypted though WEP... *facedesks*
You seem to be overlooking the fact that we're being required to pay for something that already exists within something we've paid for... basically the equivalent of on-disk DLC.

You compare the fees required to move Pokemon from Gen 5 to Gen 6 to buying a link cable or the cost of an internet router, but that's not the same thing. Before, once you purchased the means of transferring Pokemon, you were free to do it whenever you wished for no price what-so-ever, forever. Now, once you've purchased the means of transferring, you're still expected to pay an additional fee, or loose the ability to transfer you're Pokemon.

It's not about the price or the price of the means of accessing the process, it's about the fact that they're applying additional and unnecessary charges to the process itself--a process that use to be for free--or risk loosing access to it entirely.

J.D. said:
It's not about the price or the price of the means of accessing the process, it's about the fact that they're applying additional and unnecessary charges to the process itself--a process that use to be for free--or risk loosing access to it entirely.

It's because you're not paying for a PROCESS, you're paying for a SERVICE - those are two entirely different things. Transfer before has always been native to your games and your systems. Pokemon Bank, however, and its transfer functionality, are full-fledged cloud servers that require constant maintenance, updates, security measures, running costs, etc... Most companies charge more than $5 a year (it cannot be stressed enough how cheap this is) for this type of service.

Having transferring from Gen 5 be part of Pokemon's online service might have been the only way they were able to make it work. Or it could be because they wanted to cut down on the amount of hacked Pokemon in online circulation (since Bank won't let you transfer them).

Either way, you get a month-long free trial anyways, which is plenty enough time to get your Pokemon over to X/Y.

DNA said:
Kalyst said:
You were never trading for free *facepalm* To trade back in the old days you needed a LINK CABLE. Or did you all conveniently forget that? It was never "free" but you'r 5-9 year old minds didn't call that extortion-your parents probably did though lol. Then you needed a wireless adapter-that upped the cost of buying Fire Red/Leaf Green. With the advent of D/P you needed to pay for internet access or a router to get Wifi because they encrypted though WEP... *facedesks*

So you're saying it's okay to pay even further on top of what we already have in order to transfer Pokemon?
I'm not sure if you are aware of this, but people who wanted to migrate their Pokemon up (from Gen 4 to Gen 5) either got a 2nd DS system, or got together with a friend who had their own DS, and did some migrating. (From 3 to 4, you just needed the one system.) I fall into the former category, but even so, why does that even matter?

Needing 2 DS systems to migrate from Gen 4 to Gen 5 was just a necessary evil. There was no other economical way to do it at the time. It wasn't too tedious - it required only a teensy bit more effort than the GBA -> DS dongle method. Granted, getting an extra DS was pretty pricy, but if you were one of the kind who bought his or her own, you were going to use it a lot anyway for tradebacks and stuff. I did that in Gen 4 a lot.

But who cares, that's not the point.

The point is they could easily make a tiny bit of the service free, the part we've been doing at little to no cost anyway. It is not that hard to do. You can easily let players have access to the transfer feature, that's already been ingrained into the game anyway, and do it for free. Then you can pay for the cloud storage. That's fair.

Gen 6 is introducing a very horrible and unnecessary trend: paid DLC. I've always been against the thought of paid DLC for any game, even more so for newcomers, because it essentially forces them to pay more to get features out of the game that shouldn't cost extra.

tl;dr:

http://www.nonfictiongaming.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/DLC-pie-analogy.png[*/img]

[b]I'm wondering how long I can go before I get pushed over the edge and say "Screw everything, that's it; I quit Pokemon". I fear that day is approaching fast. I hope it never does, but now I'm actually weighing that possibility, and this DLC is the cause of it.[/b]
[/quote]
I'm just wondering, do you really think that an app that lets you just transfer Pokemon would be free or should be free? It takes time and resources to develop something like that and I would be very, VERY surprised if it was free. What I'm getting at is it would of cost money no matter how they would of done it.

This isn't exactly DLC, it's an external app that doesn't directly affect gameplay. They are not additions to the game, just applications that interact with the games.

Okay rant time: The bold part is what makes me hate this fanbase sometimes, the freaking overreactions to the smallest of things. You're going to quit Pokemon just because you have to pay for something that is optional and in the grand skim of things isn't a big deal? Oh my freaking god, you have pay $5 A YEAR to transfer Pokemon, oh wait it's not only just to transfer pokemon, it's a cloud storage system that can store up to 3,000 pokemon. Holy, crap what a rip off! Come on everyone, lets grab the torches and pitchforks and storm Gamefreak for because we have to pay for something that was free which wasn't free at all. Here let me tell you what I normally tell people who say they are going to quit pokemon over something stupid: You're going to sit there and complain about it for awhile and you will eventually get over it, buy it/deal with it, and realize it's not a big deal or you will quit the game. If the later happens, than all I have to say is good riddance because I don't have to listen to your whining about the next thing that will make you quit pokemon.

Edit: I'm not discussing this anymore because if I continue I'll probably say something that will get me banned, but I'm not deleting that rant because I think it needs to be said and if it gets me banned, than so be it. Believe or not DNA, but that wasn't entirely directed at you it was pretty much directed at that section of the fanbase. You just pushed the right button, I apologize.

Sure hope that my local game stores will be selling those pokemon x and y console. :)

Ohman177 said:
Sky Pillar said:
In weather wars, the weather setter has to be able to switch in and out of battle. Charizard is one of those Pokemon that has to stay in.

This is a common weather scenario:

P1 sends out drought ninetales
P2 sends out hippowdon, since hippo is slower, his weather is dominant.
P1 switches
P2 sets stealth rock

Both ninetales and charizard are too fast against opposing weather teams. Difference is it takes 4 stealth rocks to take out ninetales but charizard goes out with 2. At least with Blaze he can benefit from stealth rock weakness.

Now, going up against non-weather teams, he'd make for a worry-some threat

The hippowdon would activate its weather as soon as he is sent out but charizard won't mega evolve until the first turn starts so his sun will kick in second. It's like a guaranteed win in a weather war. And as for surviving, just get a spinner who can clear it for him.
The person with hippo woul probably just go for stone edge on charizard in that case, there's a 20% miss rate though so even if hippo fails his team mates can easily counteract.

Plus, since charizard would have to stay a turn just to mega evolve, that leaves him suspectible to a free switch in such as this:

P1 sends out charizard
P2 sends out hippo, stays and gambles with stone edge
P1 (if stone edge misses)mega evolves plus attacks with fire blast
P2 switches in tyranitar, regains weather dominance plus super resists fire type stab due to rock type + sandstorm sp.def boost

Charizard can only use focus blast against that.

I seriously dont understand all the b****ing and whining about paying 5 dollars to use the Bank/Transfer app. Development costs and network/cloud upkeep require it practically. Not to mention we had an online network and game functions that were FREE ie Dream World/Global Link, and this service price was inevitable.

PLUS, everyone will get a MONTH to use it for free before it becomes a pay to use service, so I guess all the complainers will just have to transfer stuff over in that month- or deal with the measly 5 bucks they gotta pay for the service. I mean seriously, have you ever seen a CoD season pass for 5 bucks? Or a single map pack? Yeah, the resources to design and maintain the Bank and Transporter are on par with one of those crappy DLC map packs, so Id say 5 dollars to subscribe to any online service is a steal.

Has anyone else noticed the white pokemon in the picture battling against venasaur? Is that a new pokemon?

Oh nevermind. Seems like WPM already pointed it out...

Sky Pillar said:
Ohman177 said:
The hippowdon would activate its weather as soon as he is sent out but charizard won't mega evolve until the first turn starts so his sun will kick in second. It's like a guaranteed win in a weather war. And as for surviving, just get a spinner who can clear it for him.
The person with hippo woul probably just go for stone edge on charizard in that case, there's a 20% miss rate though so even if hippo fails his team mates can easily counteract.

Plus, since charizard would have to stay a turn just to mega evolve, that leaves him suspectible to a free switch in such as this:

P1 sends out charizard
P2 switches in tyranitar, regains weather dominance plus super resists fire type stab due to rock type + sandstorm sp.def boost

Charizard and Hippowdon would be leads. Charizard would Mega Evolve, raising its Special Attack stat, allowing it to use a sun-powered Fire attack or simply an immediate Solar Beam to hit Hippowdon's awful Special Defense.

Of course, Hippowdon could get switched out upon seeing Charizard and knowing it could Mega Evolve, but the Mega Charizard user would probably know that and use Substitute or possibly switch Mega Charizard out.

As for Tyranitar; of course Charizard can't do much to it -- it's bulky, both physically and specially and has a type that Charizard can usually only hit for 2x super-effective damage (unless you have Focus Blast, which is so unreliable it's not worth the move slot a lot of the time). That's why you put counters on your team that you can switch into Tyranitar.

AtmosphericThunder said:
Sky Pillar said:

P1 sends out charizard

Charizard and Hippowdon would be leads. Charizard would Mega Evolve, raising its Special Attack stat, allowing it to use a sun-powered Fire attack or simply an immediate Solar Beam to hit Hippowdon's awful Special Defense.

Of course, Hippowdon could get switched out upon seeing Charizard and knowing it could Mega Evolve, but the Mega Charizard user would probably know that and use Substitute or possibly switch Mega Charizard out.

As for Tyranitar; of course Charizard can't do much to it -- it's bulky, both physically and specially and has a type that Charizard can usually only hit for 2x super-effective damage (unless you have Focus Blast, which is so unreliable it's not worth the move slot a lot of the time). That's why you put counters on your team that you can switch into Tyranitar.
The point I'm trying to make is that charizard can't roll with the punches of a weather team, while he has drought dominance he can't abuse it viably due to his flying type. Also he's suspectible to getting shuffled by roar/dragon tail/ whirlwind users with stealth rock such as skarmory and swampert who can easily be added to rain teams and sandstorm teams alike.

Sky Pillar said:
AtmosphericThunder said:

The point I'm trying to make is that charizard can't roll with the punches of a weather team, while he has drought dominance he can't abuse it viably due to his flying type. Also he's suspectible to getting shuffled by roar/dragon tail/ whirlwind users with stealth rock such as skarmory and swampert.

Mega Charizard would easily take out both of those. Skarmory with Fire attacks and Swampert with Solar Beam.

Besides, Pokemon with the Magic Bounce ability or Pokemon that can learn Magic Coat are great counters to hazards (Spikes, Stealth Rock, etc.) and many non-attacking moves (including Roar and Whirlwind). Only a select few Pokemon have Magic Bounce, but many different Pokemon can learn Magic Coat.

The right team combination could easily incorporate a Mega Charizard to counter other weather teams.

AtmosphericThunder said:
Sky Pillar said:
The point I'm trying to make is that charizard can't roll with the punches of a weather team, while he has drought dominance he can't abuse it viably due to his flying type. Also he's suspectible to getting shuffled by roar/dragon tail/ whirlwind users with stealth rock such as skarmory and swampert.

Mega Charizard would easily take out both of those. Skarmory with Fire attacks and Swampert with Solar Beam.

Besides, Pokemon with the Magic Bounce ability or Pokemon that can learn Magic Coat are great counters to hazards and status moves. Only a select few Pokemon have Magic Bounce, but many different Pokemon can learn Magic Coat.

The right team combination could easily incorporate a Mega Charizard to counter other weather teams.
Under rain skarmory's fire weakness is nullified and sturdy will ensure that it can survive 1 hit before going down, while swampert is threatened by solar beam, one must consider how predictable that would be.

How many magic bounce and coat users are even useful on sun teams though?

Sky Pillar said:
AtmosphericThunder said:

Besides, Pokemon with the Magic Bounce ability or Pokemon that can learn Magic Coat are great counters to hazards and status moves. Only a select few Pokemon have Magic Bounce, but many different Pokemon can learn Magic Coat.

Under rain skarmory's fire weakness is nullified and sturdy will ensure that it can survive 1 hit before going down, while swampert is threatened by solar beam, one must consider how predictable that would be.

Magic Coat users: Reuniclus, Cofagrigus, Sigilyph, Togekiss, Latias, Latios, Sableye, Slowbro, or Slowking, to name quite a few, are all able to be useful on many team combinations.

Magic Bounce Pokemon are few and far between, and it would be pretty hard to keep Espeon from fainting early on in a weather battle.

Reuniclus only takes damage from attacking moves if it has Magic Guard and it has monstrous Special Attack with great bulk. It's a great counter to both Skarmory and Swampert.

AtmosphericThunder said:
Sky Pillar said:

Magic Coat users: Reuniclus, Cofagrigus, Sigilyph, Togekiss, Latias, Latios, Sableye, Slowbro, or Slowking, to name quite a few, are all able to be useful on many team combinations.

Magic Bounce Pokemon are few and far between, and it would be pretty hard to keep Espeon from fainting early on in a weather battle.

Reuniclus only takes damage from attacking moves if it has Magic Guard and it has monstrous Special Attack with great bulk. It's a great counter to both Skarmory and Swampert.

Magic guard isn't keeping them from setting up on you nor does it prevent phasers,

Sky Pillar said:
AtmosphericThunder said:

Magic guard isn't keeping them from setting up on you nor does it prevent phasers,

Huh? Reuniclus has Magic Guard as an ability AND it learns Magic Coat.

Magic Coat DOES prevent them from setting up hazards and actually sets them up on themselves, and Magic Coat also prevents phasers, because it bounces the phase move back and phases them out.

AtmosphericThunder said:
Sky Pillar said:

Magic Coat DOES prevent them from setting up hazards and actually sets them up on themselves, and Magic Coat also prevents phasers, because it bounces the phase move back and phases them out.
Skarmory could taunt him if necessary and swampert can just spam EQ/Waterfall. These aren't the only threats a hypothetical OU charizard has to face either, he'd get outsped by the likes of Garchomp and ties with non-scarf salamence. Gyarados will wall him too.

Sky Pillar said:
AtmosphericThunder said:

Skarmory could taunt him if necessary and swampert can just spam EQ/Waterfall. These aren't the only threats a hypothetical OU charizard has to face either, he'd get outsped by the likes of Garchomp and ties with non-scarf salamence. Gyarados will wall him too.

Sorry, but Taunt is bounced back by Magic Coat as well. Magic Coat has priority, so Taunt would just bounce back at Skarmory, not letting it use anything but attacks and either force it to use Brave Bird or switch, allowing Reuniclus to freely attack anything that comes in or allowing Charizard to switch back in.

Swampert won't get a chance to spam Earthquake or Waterfall when it faints due to Reuniclus using Energy Ball or Grass Knot.

Why would you keep in Charizard against a Garchomp or Gyarados in the first place? You can easily switch Charizard out for a physical wall to resist a Garchomp or Gyarados, like Ferrothorn.

Edit: I'm not discussing this anymore because if I continue I'll probably say something that will get me banned, but I'm not deleting that rant because I think it needs to be said and if it gets me banned, than so be it. Believe or not DNA, but that wasn't entirely directed at you it was pretty much directed at that section of the fanbase. You just pushed the right button, I apologize.
That is acceptable. I understand your concern and I know that section of the fanbase (which gives everyone else in it a bad name) exists. I try to stay away from it and its attitudes as best I can, though it's getting increasingly more difficult for me.

The way I currently see it, I think Pokemon/Game Freak is trying to steadily wean us into this, so they in turn can wean us into something else that ends up costing more, and we'll think it's "fair". I could be wrong, and even a little paranoid, but that is what my foresight is telling me, because a lot of things we'd think as integral parts of the game Nintendo is converting into paid DLC. Transferring Pokemon is paid DLC. Mega Stones are paid DLC. Dream Radar is technically paid DLC. And even way back when, extra maps for Gates to Infinity were paid DLC. (That game sucked, by the way.)

I agree that the cloud storage for 3000 Pokemon per person, at only $5 a year, is an incredibly reasonable price. No one with a brain is going to dispute this. The bit I have a problem with is the migration method they're using is also incorporated into this price bundle. Now, for someone like me, who probably only transfers Pokemon over about 4 times a year, if that, and would have no need for a jillion extra storage spaces, that $5 would be going to waste. In fact, every time I'd transfer Pokemon over, that'd effectively cost me $1.25...never mind that I might even forget I have Pokemon up in the cloud (if I use it).

I've always liked taking things at my own pace. It lets me enjoy the game more. I'm not exactly confused as to why the transfer mechanism had to be taken out of the game itself (if memory serves, they said they were working on something, since DS -> 3DS gets kinda weird - Dream Radar worked mostly because it was the opposite). I'm confused as to why this small bit of the game, which we've had for next to no extra cost anyway, needs to be thrown in with the cloud storage bit.

Hence why I said this. You can take pretty much everything I've said, and condense it into that, ignoring everything else. You break up the two things and a lot of people would be happy. Heck, the add-ons for Gen 5 barely cost a thing (Global Link was free for anyone with an account there, and Dream Radar was only $2) and they were extremely well-received, not only because of their low cost but what things you got out of them. (Dream Radar is the best source ever for elemental stones and nothing will convince me otherwise. And Dream World minigames might be as tedious as watching paint dry, but at least you got Hidden Ability Pokemon out of it.) Now? Now I think they're just being a little too DLC-happy. The cloud storage, although reasonably priced, doesn't actually add anything to your game (other than giving you 150 new boxes, I guess), and since it's technically the spiritual successor to Pokemon Box/Ranch, I wonder if a one-time fee would have been better. And there's no way to tell yet if Mega Stones will be worth it; they will add certain Mega-Evolutions, but will that enrich the game experience more than what it costs to get it? IMO asking anything more than $0.50 per Stone would be overdoing it.

I think Pokemon has turned me into a gigantic cheapskate, and I just know my crazy friend is going to catch 3000 [insert Gen 6 equivalent of Lillipup here] and throw them all into the cloud. If he caught 700+ Lillipup to get Zekrom at Dragonspiral Tower for BW1, he's going to do this too. I feel it.

DNA said:
The way I currently see it, I think Pokemon/Game Freak is trying to steadily wean us into this, so they in turn can wean us into something else that ends up costing more, and we'll think it's "fair". I could be wrong, and even a little paranoid, but that is what my foresight is telling me, because a lot of things we'd think as integral parts of the game Nintendo is converting into paid DLC. Transferring Pokemon is paid DLC. Mega Stones are paid DLC. Dream Radar is technically paid DLC. And even way back when, extra maps for Gates to Infinity were paid DLC. (That game sucked, by the way.)

Since when are Mega Stones paid DLC? I've never heard anything about that.

The only "DLC" Mega Stone there is confirmed to be so far is Torchic holding Blaziken's Mega Stone, and it's free.

Back