(1) The Four Horsemen of States [3/6]

Really liked the Justin Sanchez's part, very detailed. Overall an exceptional article, nice to see all these great players write this. ;D

Darkrai list, y u no keldeo?
Other than that, really solid article. I'm enjoying seeing these on the site. Keep it up!

Wow, how did I not notice that when reading it? Yeah, the Darkrai list should include a Keldeo (and I disagree with some stuff like Escape Rope but that's besides the point.) The whole article is well written and well done, so props on that. I particularly love the N section, it's like all of my thoughts on that card were just taken out of my heads and written down lol. I do vehemently disagree with Emboar being at all viable or Registeel EX being useful in PlasmaKlang, but once again, it's well written and there isn't a right or wrong for opinions on decks until some States results actually come in.

I hope to continue seeing more of these in the future!

Blah said:
Wow, how did I not notice that when reading it? Yeah, the Darkrai list should include a Keldeo (and I disagree with some stuff like Escape Rope but that's besides the point.) The whole article is well written and well done, so props on that. I particularly love the N section, it's like all of my thoughts on that card were just taken out of my heads and written down lol. I do vehemently disagree with Emboar being at all viable or Registeel EX being useful in PlasmaKlang, but once again, it's well written and there isn't a right or wrong for opinions on decks until some States results actually come in.

I hope to continue seeing more of these in the future!

Agreed I thought the darkrai deck was messed up and emboar is not a viable deck at all.

Well written article overall. Four Cobalion-EX seems a little overkill, and the Registeel...heh? The other stuffs I have problems with have been discussed already.

Emboar is...surprising. And 4 Cobalion EX in that list? Strange. On that note, Registeel doesn't help that often in Klinklang (it can't even hit Squirtle).
There are a few points I disagree with (Darkrai should probally have that Keldeo too) but I'm sure everyone has a different opinion.
Great article nonetheless. :)

I mentioned how I could of done RayEels, but I wanted to be the rogue option of the group. It's a solid deck, actually. Knowing people would hate on the notion of a Rogue being covered half of my portion was dedicated to a universal concept that applies to any deck you run. Everybody can relate to the N issue. There's method behind the madness!

Actually, my main point against it was not that the deck itself is bad, but that it's outclassed. Blastoise does nearly everything Emboar can do, plus more. Even down to the Rayquaza EX, for the same amount of energy and energy discard, Blastoise has BKEX which does 200 damage and has 10 more HP which is a big deal with Darkrai running through 170 HP EX's. It also has less of a switch problem, access to better attackers, etc.

I really did love the N section though. I've been using the deck thinning strategy for a while to counter those pesky late-game N's and I'm glad to see it put into an article.

Blah said:
Actually, my main point against it was not that the deck itself is bad, but that it's outclassed. Blastoise does nearly everything Emboar can do, plus more. Even down to the Rayquaza EX, for the same amount of energy and energy discard, Blastoise has BKEX which does 200 damage and has 10 more HP which is a big deal with Darkrai running through 170 HP EX's. It also has less of a switch problem, access to better attackers, etc.

I really did love the N section though. I've been using the deck thinning strategy for a while to counter those pesky late-game N's and I'm glad to see it put into an article.

This is why both decks are covered! I already thought of every possible counter prior to making the article. I know how these things work =P

>Four hoursemen of states
>Five players and Five decks

Jackie-Chan-WTF-meme-face-70958233396.jpg

In all seriousness though, I loved the section on N. It definitely should help players who put themselves in those kinds of situations. While I might not personally agree with the specific lists, it does give everybody a basic sketch of what they're up against, and what they need to prepare for. It is very well written as a whole, and was great read. I would love to see more. :)

TPO3 said:
>Four hoursemen of states
>Five players and Five decks

Jackie-Chan-WTF-meme-face-70958233396.jpg

In all seriousness though, I loved the section on N. It definitely should help players who put themselves in those kinds of situations. While I might not personally agree with the specific lists, it does give everybody a basic sketch of what they're up against, and what they need to prepare for. It is very well written as a whole, and was great read. I would love to see more. :)

The Four Horsemen are the 4 US National Champions. The special guest covered Lasers which would not of been covered initially. I felt that it HAD to be mentioned as that would be a deck that would have a presence at States. So I labeled Ryan as a special guest!

Kudos to Pokebeach for publishing this article, Hopefully we can expect similar articles in the future!

Thanks to the authors who set aside their personal time to contribute to this article. I know some of you may disagree with certain points and builds in the article but these authors have won the big stage and we need to respect their personal tastes in their deck building choices. The readers should in turn should try to examine why the author is making such decision in the deck list he posted. I'm sure there the authors had to go through some thought process before posting the list.

Aww nothing on Rayeels :c

Anyways I loved the article especially the darkrai part, super consistency ftw and all.

Blah said:

Pretty much this. Blah is right, Blastoise outclasses Emboar in nearly every aspect. The only things Emboar really has going for it is Tepig has 70 HP, Emboar has 150 and then Emboar can 1HKO Klingklang, but if your meta that full of Klingklang, there are better decks to take it down IMO. Blah said pretty much everything though, Rush-in is what makes Blastoise work so well, and BKEX doesn't care about eviolite. The two lists end up looking fairly similar, minus the fact that you have to cover a retreat option with Emboar. The other thing IMO that makes a huge difference is Shell Shield. The ability is just so killer, especially with the amount of Darkrai that is in this format. Emboar being water weak doesn't necessarily help its case either. Its a solid deck, but I think Blastoise is outclasses it.

exdarkrai01 said:
Blah said:

Pretty much this. Blah is right, Blastoise outclasses Emboar in nearly every aspect. The only things Emboar really has going for it is Tepig has 70 HP, Emboar has 150 and then Emboar can 1HKO Klingklang, but if your meta that full of Klingklang, there are better decks to take it down IMO. Blah said pretty much everything though, Rush-in is what makes Blastoise work so well, and BKEX doesn't care about eviolite. The two lists end up looking fairly similar, minus the fact that you have to cover a retreat option with Emboar. The other thing IMO that makes a huge difference is Shell Shield. The ability is just so killer, especially with the amount of Darkrai that is in this format. Emboar being water weak doesn't necessarily help its case either. Its a solid deck, but I think Blastoise is outclasses it.

Head to head the weakness to Water isn't even relevant. Blastoise looks to one shot by loading Keldeo-EX. It will usually hit these targets with or without weakness. Your main attacker is Rayquaza-EX which is not weak to water and you run Shred Ray to attack and get two prizes off of Black Kyurem-EX while standing only to give up one. I still don't regret reviewing the deck, it added variety. I think you people missed the point completely.

The point of it, as implied directly and indirectly in the article, would be that Emboar decks are potentially viable options to take to State Championship tournaments over the next few weekends.

...and they're not. I'm sorry, but they're not. The only Emboar variant that's even remotely viable is the one that uses White Kyurem EX as your main attacker, because there's a lot of Dragon-weak things around and not nearly as many Water-weak things, and on top of that, WKEX can OHKO for less Energy than Keldeo usually can; WKEX needs 4 at most (a Crystal Edge only helps that), while Keldeo needs 6 or maybe even 7, and although Keldeo can 2HKO basically everything, you don't want to lose so much Energy if a Mewtwo EX comes along with his pal DCE and decides to nuke you.

...that said, I am not advocating running WKEX/Emboar over Blastoise/Keldeo. The latter has a lot more going for it, such as very small things like Shell Shield and Rush In, blocking early snipes and Special Conditions (mostly). I am simply stating pros and cons. But I definitely would not want to run Rayquaza or Rayquaza-EX with Emboar as its Supporter, primarily because Dragon Burst discards the Energy you use...and that is perfect fodder for our old and dear friend Eelektrik, who recycles Energy like nobody's business (blah blah blah Eels and junk). RayEels has an advantage over RayBoar in that regard in that you don't need to use up slots for Rare Candy or Energy Retrieval - Level Ball is mostly all you need. The downside? Tynamo's much easier to kill, obviously. 40 HP goes down faster than Tepig's 70. ...Speaking of which, why doesn't your list use 70 HP Tepig?

In summation (aka tl;dr): I have great respect for you as a person and for your article-writing abilities (the anti-N bit was gold), but my opinion of your choices for decks, and their potential viability for tournaments, is much to be desired.

TPM said:
Aww nothing on Rayeels :c
Well duh, everyone knows about RayEels. You don't need to write about it; it's fairly straight-forward.

~Get 3 Eelektrik out
~Get 2 Rayquaza EX and a Skyarrow Bridge out
~Get a Keldeo EX out just in case
~Dump all your Lightning Energy in your discard pile, and draw into 1 Fire Energy every turn
~Use Rayquaza EX to OHKO everything
~????
~profit

^RayEels in a nutshell

Niiiice, but you still have yet to explain how to beat garbo with less than two tool scrapper. (if you haven't noticed by now, I'm just messing with you :p )

Back