(1) Pokemon X/Y Anime Starts October 17th [6/29]

As long as he's 10, he'll NEVER become a master; that's the only reason they need. So until they lose most of their viewers, it'll never truly change.

Uh... guys... Ash always gets all starters. (Unless someone else on the team gets one, but I kinda doubt they will do that again.)

Mitja said:
Still waiting for a more serious version of pokemon as an anime ):
You'll be waiting forever.

If you're expecting anything new or renovating from this new season, than you're setting yourself up for disappointment. It's most likely going to be a rinse and repeat like it has always been and if you don't accept that it will never be more than this, I don't think you will ever enjoy it.

Also, imo, Da! has actually been really good, better than the N arc which I thought was a disappointment.

What I'd like to see is him bringing some of his previous Pokemon with him (like Aipom in DP, or Charizard returning in BW). Every time he leaves them behind, I can't help but feel bad for them.

What I'd really like (and probably won't happen) is for them to do something similar to when he went to Johto: Ash brings ALL his current party with him, and then switches them out one by one for newer Pokemon.

Any hope of improvement is naive... This will suck as much as all other sagas... They will simply follow the formula already in use... And the sad truth is I'll still watch it anyway...

Why does Ash never win.... I mean I get that animes sometimes try to teach the viewers a lesson, especially when they are usually younger, and in this case the lesson being it's OK to lose so long as you had fun and move on, but really? I get so mad when I end up waiting all this time just for Ash to lose so his rival or random side character can win. And can someone please explain to me what they were thinking back in Diamond/Pearl/Platinum when they decided to nuke Ash with the random goth guy who somehow had a Darkrai, Latios, and God knows what else?

Metalizard said:
Any hope of improvement is naive... This will suck as much as all other sagas... They will simply follow the formula already in use... And the sad truth is I'll still watch it anyway...

This.

-Like in BW, they'll announce "10-year-old Ash Ketchum" at the beginning of the saga, and he'll have beginner-level skills again.
-Two new traveling partners.
-Charizard won't return.
-Team Rocket will either be bumbling idiots like they were for most of the series, or start out competent like in BW and then devolve into bumbling idiots.
-The main villain/villainous team in XY won't make an appearance until maybe some minor saga later on.
-No overarching plot, just one simplistic adventure per episode.
-Ash will lose the Pokemon League.
-Next year's Xerneas and Yveltal movie will have an extremely heavy focus on the human characters and the "cute legendary".

Ash, my dear, it's been a few years since you are trying to become a champion.

Some of us already became champions. More than once. In every single region. Some of us were younger than 10 when we first won our first league.

So yeah, it's time to sit down and think a bit about your life, Ash.

Darthrai said:
-No overarching plot, just one simplistic adventure per episode.

That's true why don't they do the "to be continued..." or "tune in next time to see..." anymore?
Or did they never do that and I'm just thinking of an actually good anime...

I think like every athlete out there, Ash is going to do worse than he and his pokemon did in Unova, because he and his pokemon are starting to get washed up.

I can say that Ash can feel the pain of every athlete out there who is old and washed up, and hasn't won a single Stanley Cup, Larry O'Brien Trophy, Commissioner's Trophy, or the Vince Lombardi Trophy, but will continue playing until they win the trophy, or get injured and can't play anymore.

You know what most of everybody is gonna do?
Watch the first few subbed episodes, around up until Ash catches his first starter and/or beats the first gym, then realize that the new anime sucks and continued to suck for almost 10 years now, and will stop watching it as a result.

Hmmmm, can't say much about the title card. The starters looking fierce is interesting, especially froakie's pose.

His new hat looks dumb.

Water Pokémon Master said:
it's been 16 years. why isn't ash a pokeman master yet? gettin' really tired of this shiat unfortunate trend.

You're worried about him not being a Pokemon Master yet?! What about the fact that he's been 10 years old this whole time?! Personally, I find that way more concerning...

don()shinobi said:
You know what most of everybody is gonna do?
Watch the first few subbed episodes, around up until Ash catches his first starter and/or beats the first gym, then realize that the new anime sucks and continued to suck for almost 10 years now, and will stop watching it as a result.

And the writers won't do anything about it, because little kiddies and the few remaining anime loyalists will eat up the new series like candy. Including the inevitable human-and-Pikachu-focused and unexciting Xerneas and Yveltal movie.

The most we can hope for is for them to create a side series for teens/older kids, similar in style to the B2W2 trailer.

EDIT: In fact, I know exactly how things will go for the next few years.

Fall 2013 - The XY anime debuts in Japan. Some minor change is made to the formula, be it Ash being stronger from the start and famous in Kalos, more of his old team returning, self-parody and lampshade hanging ("Gee, I wonder why I've been 10 all these years"), or something. Because of the change, the more open-minded fans decide to give it a chance.

Anywhere from 0-5 months later - The English dub debuts, and is the same as the Japanese version. No big deal.

Mid-2014 - The anime falls back into the usual pattern again - Ash losing a lot of battles, formulaic plots, no overarching storyline. The Xerneas and Yveltal movie debuts, and spends about 3/4 of the movie on Pikachu, Ash and the new cute legendary, with a boring plot.

Mid-2015 - Pokemon Z comes out, and the anime gets a new "semi-season" like with BW2 but otherwise stays the same. The Z legendary's movie debuts with the next event legendary, and is either as bad as or surprisingly better than the previous one.

Some time later - In a half-hearted attempt to appeal to the older fans, the XY villainous team appears and Bulbasaur and Squirtle return to Ash's team, with one of them evolving. Otherwise, the series stays the same.

Early 2016 - Ash loses the Pokemon League.

Mid-2016 - The next movie debuts with the last XY legendary, possibly a "hype Pokemon" from Gen VII, and (in another half-hearted attempt to appeal to older fans) Ho-Oh and Lugia, who have new forms. Ho-Oh gets a growly, menacing deep voice, and Lugia gets a soothing female voice. Then we get previews for the Gen VII anime, and the cycle repeats.

I really hope the dub syncs up with the Japanese anime for this - really, if they sync up the games and (as evidenced so far) the TCG, why not the anime as well? There have already been a few instances where TPCi has dubbed stuff into English mere MINUTES after a Japanese debut (Mewtwo's new Forme, for example), so they've shown it can be done.

At the very least, it's likely the dub will catch up so it's mere weeks behind the Japanese dub rather than a few months like now; at least we're not a year behind them anymore.

Skulblaka_Shur said:
I really hope the dub syncs up with the Japanese anime for this - really, if they sync up the games and (as evidenced so far) the TCG, why not the anime as well? There have already been a few instances where TPCi has dubbed stuff into English mere MINUTES after a Japanese debut (Mewtwo's new Forme, for example), so they've shown it can be done.

At the very least, it's likely the dub will catch up so it's mere weeks behind the Japanese dub rather than a few months like now; at least we're not a year behind them anymore.

There has been zero evidence of this so far, only speculation.

Back