(1) Nintendo Follow-Up [9/21]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was going to wait and purchase a game. Didn't know if I would get a jap one or not. But almost the moment I read what was going on I went and got myself my first emu and rom and downloaded pokemon black AND white. Been playing them since then, and will never legally purchase another Nintendo game :)

SO NINTENDO YOU DONE IT TO YOURSELF!!!!

Nintendo doesn't care about their true fans anymore... You know, us fans who went out and played Super Mario Brothers? The ones that walked around school with their Gameboy Colors, showing off their Level 100 Pikachus from Yellow Version? We aren't a big enough demographic anymore, and therefore aren't worth selling to. Just look at what we've gotten since Wii release. A few good games, like Super Mario Galaxy, Legend of Zelda: TP, and Metroid Prime Corruption. But everything else is just blah. Even Metroid: Other M was lackluster. And other than Pokemon, we haven't really had any good Nintendo games on the DS that I can think of (correct me if I'm wrong).

Why can they get us in trouble for posting pictures about a game that IS ALREADY RELEASED anyways? First of all, what is it going to hurt? Do they think that more people will buy the game in America, about 4-6 months from now, if we don't know what the game is like? Pictures hype up the game, it makes us want it more! I guess advertisement is a bad business strategy. Second of all, why can Japanese people see the pictures and not us? Unless they have millions of lawyers walking around with pieces of black paper, covering up the images of Pokemon in Japan, then they have no right to tell us we can't see the pics.

This whole thing is ridiculous, and Nintendo always seems to find new and exciting ways to lose or anger the fans that made them who they are today. Your welcome for the success we've led you to by the way Nintendo. I'm sure you're too busy rolling in cash from the stupid little casual games you keep pumping out for the Wii and the DS to listen to what we have to say, but I hope I can speak for most of Pokebeach when I say that we're getting tired of this game you're playing with us. Hopefully when Sony and Microsoft release their better working rip-offs and you're left in the dust, you'll realize how much you've been screwing us over.

tl;dr- Nintendo doesn't care about fans, this whole thing is unfair to all Pokemon lovers alike, and Nintendo needs to think about its fans.

@ Valtron: I don't think pointing fingers at WPM and Nintendo is needed. Sure, you may have a point, but also Nintendo is as much at fault in this situation for the complete 'blowing it out of proportion' stunt with the letter.

What is going to happen to PokeBeach? Is the site gonna be taken down? And i just noticed that it noo longer says PokerBeach on the main page. Why is that?

@Tobi Akatsuki's Idiot: I understand that feeling. It's just the same as when George Lucas and Stephen Spielberg "Stolen" Indiana Jones on South Park. XD

Like I said before, the pics will probably be up again soon anyways, so there's no cause for lasting bitterment.

I think they've gotten clearance to post CERTAIN images, but I'm not sure. I just checked Serebii (who was also hit) and they have some Sugimori art and that's about it. Sprites are still removed, even in their extensive Pokedex.

O mai I am scared. MANY paragraphs. *shivers*

me too. I have been here so long and it is not my favorite thing, Nintendo taking a dump on WPM.

Sugimori art isn't in-game material, therefore making it fair use and not covered by the C-a-D, if I'm thinking correctly ^^ Besides, I'll take art over sprites any day *nod nod*

ugghh Nintendo kinda killed the mood there..
"Woah new Pokemon! Awesome stroyline! I'm so excited!"
"NO BLACK AND WHITE FOR YOU"
"...well then..."

right on WPM. I don't understand why posting images from games that people legitimately bought is harming nintendo. like you said, if anything, fansites are what help keep a franchise like pokemon going. if it weren't for amazing fansites like this, i really doubt that there would be as many fans. i mean, having sites to look at, discuss, and over all adore pokemon is really all we ask for. and then they take that away from us? what about when diamond and pearl came out? or, when ruby and sapphire came out? where was this lawyer then? it just don't make since. i know it's not fake because i know you would never lie to all of us. however, i think something is a bit fishy about this situation. why all of a sudden have they attacked fansites? it's not like you have downloadable roms for people to use, or selling fake merchandise. you aren't profiting at all, save the traffic you get here. it really does disappoint me that nintendo, my potentially most favorite company on the planet, would just attack fansites. i know for a fact that other less-known fansites still have pokemon images up. so, i don't see how it's fair that way. they can't have it both ways, you know?

i wonder though. are we going to be able to post images of pokemon ever again? i really think nintendo has shot themselves in the foot with this one.

I think the biggest fun sucker is how blown out of proportion this has been. If Nintendo wanted the pics down, they should have just been taken down with the note that they would be reposted when Nintendo give clearence for them. Realistically it wouldn't be that long. Besides, we have a BOUNTY of other information that they obviously don't mind being posted. We basically already have a free game guide in the form of PokéBeach's first page. I feel like that yesterdays news post, no offense WPM, just exasterbated a long flame war that really didn't need to happen and polarized what used to be a relatively unified fan base. I believe Umbee makes a great point.

…I blame the fans as much as I blame Nintendo. Really, everyone's getting way too worked up over this.

They are pictures taken from Nintendo's game. Both Nintendo with thier over-reaction and the fan's over-reactions are just a bad as the other. Take for instance TheTonyG's comment...

I was going to wait and purchase a game. Didn't know if I would get a Japanese one or not. But almost the moment I read what was going on I went and got myself my first emu and rom and downloaded pokemon black AND white. Been playing them since then, and will never legally purchase another Nintendo game :)

Is this the image we want to convey? That as soon as the company that has produced such a long line of games does one thing to step on our toes we result to pirating the software... which only validates Nintendo in that we are reducing thier sales? Truthfully, it isn't that big of a deal. Other companies have pulled this same thing. I know Valve did with Portal 2. I think it's a combination of Nintendo's pompousness over information on one of thier flagship francises being leaked on fansites AND the pompousness of the fan community in thinking that we desearve special treatment since we buy thier games. Just be glad the game is being made and in a couple months you can play the english version.

I mean, to be truthfully honest, I believe that it should be the fans choice to keep secret what they choose to keep secret. I personally, have no idea about the storyline after the "little boy runs up to Aloe". And I plan on keeping it like that, until I have beaten the entire game. In my opinion, it should be the storyline that is censored. But obviously some people want to see what they're up against. And that's fine. Some people want to see the pokemon. Some want to see the Gym leaders. That's why the 'SPOILER ALERT' was created. But in the end it's not up to a "higher power" to choose what everyone wants to keep secret. And that's why I think it's a little unfair to fans, that have been so exicted from the beginning to see what, in their opinion, would've got them more syched for the game, and in turn, would've made them want to buy Black/White even more then they already did.

However, in no way do I plan on not getting the game because of what Nintendo did. Obviously, my view on Nintendo is changed, but I'm still a die-hard Pokemon/Mario fan. Hopefully, this all gets straightened out, not just for WPM, or Pokebeach, but for the sake of the actual pokemon, that don't get to be shown for what they are, awesome! ^_^

I am glad to know more about the nintendo letter, i can understand why they did it but there were more options to avoid this at least i think that posting either an image of Reshiram or Zekrom is ok,because they have alredy been revealed in America thanks to Pokemon.com

So does this mean you can post the game sprites and images or is it still a no go? I hope you can still post since it would really hurt this site without sprite and images/videos XD.:)

Well I am refraining from posting B/W content for now until this "Nintendo and B/W information" is resolved. I never would have thought that Nintendo would actually turn out to be like this and email the major site webmaster asking them to take their pictures dealing with Black and White down.

At first I assumed that Nintendo was just upset at the fact that screenshots of all the new pokemon and such was released the day before the games came out. When I read the letter, I kind of viewed Nintendo as the disappointed mother who wanted to surprise her child with an awesome christmas gift, but found them snooping through the secret present stash. And then the mother decided to take one too many steps for punishment.

You know they might actually have a small point here.
While you guys might had posted images and such in the past you never tried to do a coverage over a reboot of an entire game franchise. While their attempt to stop it from being posted they might just want to keep it fresh and new for the rest of the world.
Instead of people planning out what their teams are they might just want to keep it new and exciting for everyone. So while it might be hurtful that there trying to do this to us, they do have some sort of argument.
They probable want the suspense to build up while we learn about all the cool things that we cant see.
Take it easy on Nintendo, their just thinking about their fans (and sales)

I'm on neither side. I think it was unfair how Nintendo didn't want any B/W images to be posted because this actually might help them with their sales. But at the same time I realized that if I was the owner of Nintendo I wouldn't want sites posting every single coverage of one of the games that my company publishes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back