(1) Nintendo Follow-Up [9/21]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well everyone that wanted to se 'em saw 'em already so its not that tragic...unfourtenetly when you google Pokemon Black & White Sprites nothing comes up...

what makes me sick is that now if i open up Pokebeach i won't be able to see them, its like if your like your room to be messy and then all of sudden your mother or roommate cleans it and the you can't find anything, i have that p-i-s-s-e-d-off feeling...

And i'm just as surprised as WPM to realize that Nintendo really did take this seriously to the point were if WPM hadn't taken the sprites down, Pokebeach could have been shutdown...

I really wish that the lawyer could just speak clearly and tell us exactly why nintendo wanted the pics removed...

@firemaker Well, I'm not sure you were around fan-sites then, but during Diamond and Pearl's release, Darkrai, Shaymin and Arceus were leaked along with the rest of the Gen IV Pokemon. Nintendo did nothing of the sort then.

If you really want to see the sprites, you can go to Bulbapedia.
@firemaker Well, I'm not sure you were around fan-sites then, but during Diamond and Pearl's release, Darkrai, Shaymin and Arceus were leaked along with the rest of the Gen IV Pokemon. Nintendo did nothing of the sort then.
Maybe Nintendo wants to prevent the same from happening now. When Arceus was revealed for the 12th movie, everyone shrugged it off because they knew about it for the past three years. It'd prevent Nintendo from releasing any new Pokémon to keep fans engaged... until the 6th gen.

This is what I got back, a day later:

Quote:
xxxxxxx,

Thanks for contacting us about our request regarding Pokemon Black and White images. I wanted to let you know that Nintendo supports and appreciates the efforts that Pokemon fans go through to create fan sites. In most cases there is no issue with the content that is posted, but on this occasion we had to contact a select few websites to ask them to take down confidential images.

I also wanted to let you know that your comments have been documented and made available to other departments to use as they see fit. Thank you for taking the time to share them with us.

Sincerely,

xxxxxxxxxx

There seems to be more to this whole "Copyright Infringement" detail than we're led to believe.

You send them an email and ask them is if specifically regards to the last 3 "Secret" Legendary Pokemon?

Cause i think they wanted to keep those underwraps...which again i think is kinda naive on their part, everyone in my friends circle who isn't on Pokebeach and Serebii already know about them, and i took the liberty of handing how the entire Isshu Dex w/stats to all of my classmates who played Pokemon and bought the games but aren't associated with a fansite...

Yeah, I don't see why the sites that complained against Pokebeach for the whole movie situation haven't been contacted by Nintendo. Now they're doing just as bad by keeping something that they shouldn't. WPM had a reasonable argument for the movie situation, where's Bulbapedia's for this? My respect for bulbapedia dropped after the movie incident and now it's dropped lower. Down with bulbapedia!

I feel that both sides of this argument are rather childish. Yes, Nintendo did remove images from websites that helped them. And that seems like they're a 5 year old "MINE MINE MINE! THESE ARE MY POKEMANZ!"

Then we have the other side "SO WHAT? EVERYONE KNOWS ABOUT 'EM, WE SHOULD BE ABLE TO USE 'EM. OBVIOUSLY YOU'RE JUST A JERK"

I feel though that Nintendo is being flamed far too much. Yes, they did take away the images. But they had the right to do so. Now, imagine those images were their toys. Or their cure to some disease. Either way, it's still "stolen" from them (Part of me goes "ppfftttt, yeah right"). Overall, I feel that fans are getting angry because they don't have access to something that they were lucky to have in the first place. Lets pretend that the images on the websites are gifts from Nintendo. You get them every now and then. However, when you stop receiving the gifts, you don't get the right to complain.

Let me compare this situation to one that occurred a few months ago. Game Informer published a special issue about Portal 2, which until then, had been completely unannounced (ARG aside, since that could've meant anything.) What happened? Scans of these issues flooded the place. What did VALVe do? They asked for the scans to be removed. And when they did, the fans didn't throw a hissy fit. Maybe they had already downloaded them, but very few complained. Sure, this situation if different. VALVe didn't slam a Cease and Desist order in anyone's face. But even so, everyone acted civilized.

Another point. Nintendo does make game guides. And what do these game guides contain? Information that is easily obtained on the internet. Game guides are dying books, they aren't as portable or accessible as the internet, nor as FREE. Nintendo may want to keep the images exclusive to the game guides, since images make things so much easier. People pay to see the sprites in Game Guides and if you think about the text content that we already have of BW, we've already got half of a Game Guide without pictures. PokeDex Entries, Attackdexes and items. All things that Nintendo probably wants to be exclusive info in their books.

-----
Finally, I'd like to say I don't agree with what happened. Nintendo should have left the websites alone. It makes me angry that good sites like Pokebeach are punished when many websites completely ruin Nintendo. Rom sites. And lets not forget those dealers who make custom Pokemon plushies, Art and toys and make tons of profit off of Nintendo's copyrighted characters.

Maybe Nintendo wants to prevent the same from happening now. When Arceus was revealed for the 12th movie, everyone shrugged it off because they knew about it for the past three years. It'd prevent Nintendo from releasing any new Pokémon to keep fans engaged... until the 6th gen.

Keep fans engaged? Heck i could easily hack to get an Arceus when DPPt first came out, or trade with somebody from Japan...Nintendo Shoudln't have done this for 3 "Secret Pokemon" They should have stopped doing Secret Pokemon with Deoxys...i always end up missing the days when you can download them anyways...Thank Arceus 4 Action Replays/Pokesav, BTW did anyone ask any of our Japanese correspondents if Pokesav/Action Replay even works for Black and White yet?

the thing that always makes me angry/frustrated is that there is such a HUGE gap in the amount of time from when the games are released in Japan and when they are released everywhere else! i completely agree with u that the games should be released to EVERYONE at the same time! I think there should be an option to change the language programmed into the game! >=3

Is it just me, or has this whole situation sucked the fun out of the release of Black and White? A week ago I was bouncing off the walls with exictement over who I'm going to have on my team, or what kind of gym leaders were going to be featured, or who the champion was. Now I hardly have the will to post about this. :/

Hmm. My assumption is that they want the game to be a surprise for all gamers, as that's what they did for Japanese gamers. That's really my only thought on this. I can completely understand why they'd be frustrated over that. Sorry, but if that's what they want, then that's what they get. It's their franchise, as much as I enjoyed the leaks. *shrug* Nothin' we can do about it.

@llavaa You're not the only one.THIS has really sucked the fun up.Even though I still can't wait for Black and White,I don't feel that hype enough anymore.Really,is this Nintendo's Decision?The only thing they will get is less fans and less money.And maybe a REALLY BIG bunch of haters... :/

Nintendo should've known how technology works today, everyone can find and read information at a much faster pace.

Yeah Nintendo needs to know that Black and White images are probably still roaming around the internet besides the Pokemon websites. Once people take pictures/get information and post them then people will quickly "record" that information and probably share it throughout other places.

Is it just me, or has this whole situation sucked the fun out of the release of Black and White? A week ago I was bouncing off the walls with exictement over who I'm going to have on my team, or what kind of gym leaders were going to be featured, or who the champion was. Now I hardly have the will to post. :/

No, it's not just you. And for that, I blame the fans as much as I blame Nintendo. Really, everyone's getting way too worked up over this.

*prepares to be flamed to death*

I'll tell ya one thing: without the Isshu Poke List that WPM made, it makes team-brainstorming a heck of a lot harder. >.<

But other than that, it isn't as bad as some are portraying it. So what if we don't have pics at the moment? We keep getting info, such as the BW Pokedex entries and such. We have the entire storyline of the game up until the E4. And we still have the Isshu Pokemon List (of which can be used alongside that link posted before of the Isshu sprites for anyone interested).

Sure, Nintendo is being a big pain in the neck, but they have the power and money to. Besides, how long are they really going to prevent pics from being shown? I bet that before next week, they'll be allowed to be shown.

In all fairness to Nintendo, they were robbed of their private property. I'm not tryin' to be a fun-sucker, but posting pictures with no permission is the same as pirating music and movies online. Y'know, illegal. So who's REALLY wrong here?

Is it just me, or has this whole situation sucked the fun out of the release of Black and White? A week ago I was bouncing off the walls with exictement over who I'm going to have on my team, or what kind of gym leaders were going to be featured, or who the champion was. Now I hardly have the will to post.

I agree with you a 100% i've been on this site for almost 5 years. I've been through 3 gens with Pokebeach, this is my homepage, and to see it attacked in such a manner really hurts me on the inside, its like one of my friends is being bullied and i'm powerless to do anything about other than to complain to the bully who is deaf to my voice...and Nintendo just ruined the fun of Gen 5...heck just because we know about Genosect, Meloetta & the My-Little-Pony doesn't mean we're not psyched about them...i dunno why Nintendo and Game Freak thinks its cool to Keep Pokemon Secret...

We at Pokebeach and the rest of the world that likes and plays Pokemon saw every single pokemon that Black and White have and know over half all the events that occur in the game...Whoopdy-freakin-doo...the world did not end...and Nintendo did not go bankrupt...heck they just sold close to 3 million copies of Black and White in Japan...thats good. Guess what? Now us here in the US/UK/AUS/EUR now know what we're gonna be dealing with in about 6/7/8 months, thats a good thing, cause we can now take the steps to hype up our friends and family and spread the word about Black and White, heck after i showed the screenshots of dream world and Hiun City and the Triple battles, people that were only Gen 1 fans that never really got back into Pokemon, were actually really intrigued and wanted to get the games themselves...

It shock me that nintendo can only see possible losses and completely ignore the service that fansites provide them...they're so blind and naive to even think that the can fight the internet...or thousands of angry dedicated fans...

Also whats also strange is how they kinda ingore their international fans outside of japan or how they never involve their fans in the game making process, tons of other game developing studios run beta tests or have an a official forums were designers actually ask the fans what they want...

I have been waiting since i was at least 8-9(Thats when G/S came out in USA) for an official "make-your-own-Pokemon-and-we-will-actually-use it-in-the-game" contest, it distresses me how much nintendo/Game Freak don't care to reach out to their fans on a personal level...that is until something like "this" situation happens...

I honestly think this will hurt Nintendo if anything. I saw HG/SS pics back in May of last year and thats how I got back into Pokemon. I'm sure that almost everyone looks at screenshots befor buying a game, and there is no reason not to get a head start. If Nintendo keeps this up until a month or so before the games release they will be screwed unless the advertise like hell. All in all I find this to be absolutly ridiculous especially after 12 main games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back