(1) Nintendo 3DS Drops to $170 Starting August 12th [7/28]

Fangking Omega said:
Can't decide whether or not to hold off buying until after the 12th... - Ambassador's programme sounds phenomenal but price drop after is massive.
They're trying to reel you in with the "No plans to release [the GBA games] to the public" part. In reality, the deal is worth about $100 or $120.

However, if Nintendo has no plans to release them to the public, don't count on them making some. Sure, these are phenomenal games, and a good amount of effort is being put it to make them work on a 3DS, but one only has to point to past examples of this: Super Mario All-Stars (the 2010 limited edition). Metroid Prime Trilogy. This deal is more like a limited edition that stops printing and selling on the 12th.

shampoo-thief said:
Has nintendo said how much these games (the ones that the current 3ds users will be getting free) will cost normally?
You can almost count on the NES games being $4, $5, or $6 when they're released. $5 is the same as the Wii VC, and the others allow for incentive to buy over the Wii's VC, or a premium to play these wherever you go.
Asrialys said:
Somewhat doubtful. This is a special situation for the Nintendo 3DS.

Not exactly a special situation. The price drop last year for the DSi and XL was around this time. Sure, $80 can be classified as an extremely high price drop, but it is a normal price drop nonetheless. At this time last year, we had the Lite, DSi, and XL going for $130, $170, and $190. September rolls around, and that is dropped to $130, $150, and $170. Fast forward to late March, 3DS comes out. $130, $150, $170, and now $250. Shortly after: $100, $150, $170, and $250. Now: $100, $150, $170 ...$170.

Other than the fact that the XL is bigger, there's no reason to keep the DSi and XL at those prices. Expect a $20 drop for them, maybe $30.

I can't believe the price drop is going to be that much...
Ohwell, all the better for me. Now I'm pretty sure I'm going to get a 3DS for X-Mas, and if not, sooner.

The Nintendo 3DS didn't get SO much sales as they expected, I knew this would happen because of the ludicrous $250 price. Who would spend over an extra hundred on just 3D vision?

I am still not getting the 3DS because I have glasses and the 3D hurts my eyes when I turn it on and because of the glasses it will give me more pain because it will zoom in.

gary182000 said:
I am still not getting the 3DS because I have glasses and the 3D hurts my eyes when I turn it on and because of the glasses it will give me more pain because it will zoom in.

*Obligatory: "Turn it off"*

*Obligatory return: "Why buy it, then?"*

I forgot to mention, though. While heavily unlikely, this could have been planned (for all we know). Think about it:

Nintendo in early 2010: Ok. It's time for the successor to the DS. Let's make this launch exciting. We'll make some extra spending money first, weed out our most devoted fans second, and then return the world to it's normal order with a price drop. And to make sure the devoted aren't mad at us, we'll reward them handsomely.

Nintendo at E3 2010: Doodoodoo, 3DS coming out.

Everyone: Yay yay yay.

Nintendo a few months later: Doodoodoo, everyone excited, good opportunity for things. We make it seem like a huge price.

Everyone: Oh. Whoa.

Nintendo in January: Doodoodoo, here's your price.

3.3 million people: No problem, it worth it.

Some people: Wah, wah, too much, I wait year for price drop.

Nintendo in late March: Doodoodoo, time for release. Come and get it.

3.3 million people: Yay, 3DS rocks.

Everyone else: Wah, too expensive.

Nintendo in June: Doodoodoo, here you go, first must-have game.

750,000 people: Whee, Zelda. IN 3D!

Nintendo now: Doodoodoo. Ok, we've filtered out our most devoted fans. Let's reward both sides with a price drop and free stuff.

Some 3DS owners: Nintendo owns!

Some 3DS owners: ...Nintendo made me pay $80 for NOTHING?! WAH.

Some non-3DS owners: Whoa, GBA games. Gotta buy before the 12th!

Some non-3DS owners: Whoa, humongo drop. Time to buy! Eat our dust, we were right!

3 people: Wah, not worth it.

Iwata, Miyamoto, and friends: Dude. This was totally worth our salary cut.

Also: Mario Kart 7. Wow. Certainly interesting. And Super Mario 3D Land. Very, very creative. Anyone up for Super Mario 3D Land 2 in 3 years, based off of SM World?

Chariblaze said:
Some non-3DS owners: Whoa, humongo drop. Time to buy! Eat our dust, we were right!

Not gonna lie -- this is totally me. I'm seriously considering buying a 3DS now; I wasn't expecting a price drop so soon.

Azul said:
The Nintendo 3DS didn't get SO much sales as they expected, I knew this would happen because of the ludicrous $250 price. Who would spend over an extra hundred on just 3D vision?

Dedicated Nintendo fans. Whom Nintendo knows will always buy their products, which is why they can make them as expensive as they want at first. What they're doing now is essentially their way of saying "Okay, we milked it for what we could, now we can sell it for a fair price to the general masses!"

That said, I hope I get one for my boithday!! :D

I'm extremely surprised that I'm the first to mention this, because I expected pokemon players to be much more logical than to NOT think about it. MOST retailers (best buy, for sure) will reimburse you if you buy something and it goes on sale within two weeks.
SO:
1) Buy the 3ds for $250 august 9th-ish.
2) Become an "ambassador"
August 12th:
3) Return to best buy a little grumpy, receive $80 refund.
4) Return home, download bonus games.

The best of both worlds. I just hope price cuts are included as "on sale", which I would expect them to be.

crm103top08 said:
I'm extremely surprised that I'm the first to mention this, because I expected pokemon players to be much more logical than to NOT think about it. MOST retailers (best buy, for sure) will reimburse you if you buy something and it goes on sale within two weeks.
SO:
1) Buy the 3ds for $250 August 9th-ish.
2) Become and "ambassador"
August 12th:

The best of both worlds. I just hope price cuts are included as "on sale", which I would expect them to be.
Well, just hope they don't see that coming and post up signs about a price drop before your purchase. Would they still reimburse you if they let people know about the price drop?

Asrialys said:
Well, just hope they don't see that coming and post up signs about a price drop before your purchase. Would they still reimburse you if they let people know about the price drop?

I would be so mad if that where to happen because that sounds like a vary good plan. But if best buy did not reimburse you wouldn't they be breaking there policy?

It depends on if they regard price drops in the same way as things going on sale. And that's a good point about announcing the price drop, and whether or not they would still honor that policy. There's questions, but I have a couple of friends that work there that may be able to answer these questions.

crm103top08 said:
It depends on if they regard price drops in the same way as things going on sale. And that's a good point about announcing the price drop, and whether or not they would still honor that policy. There's questions, but I have a couple of friends that work there that may be able to answer these questions.

Tell me if they know or post it please I would like to know thanks =)

crm103top08 said:
SO:
1) Buy the 3ds for $250 August 9th-ish.
2) Become an "ambassador"
August 12th:

That's exactly what my dad was going to do! But we bought my 3DS two weeks ago and Target won't do it! I was hoping Target but we talked to multiple managers and they all said the same thing. I hope other people are able to get a reimbursement if they buy at a different store though.

I can't wait now! :3 I knew getting it early on would have it's sweetness! I'm so happy, they listed like most of my favorite GBA titles and I look forward to playing some NES games!

Chariblaze said:
Nintendo in early 2010: Ok. It's time for the successor to the DS. Let's make this launch exciting. We'll make some extra spending money first, weed out our most devoted fans second, and then return the world to it's normal order with a price drop. And to make sure the devoted aren't mad at us, we'll reward them handsomely.
Some 3DS owners: Nintendo owns!

Haha guess i'm in the moest devoted fans list xD

I might just have to get this now! Sadly, my birthday is 10 days before this is intact, but, ok, still a surprise to most.

I was one of the "loyal customers" so I was a tad annoyed even with the games. Until I saw the names of the games then I realized I was already gonna' buy Yoshi's Island GBA for $20, an AR for GC for about $10 to get Zelda NES on Animal Crossing, and Ice Climber GBA for about $10 0r more.

Obviously I'm quite happy about this.

Are they seriously only going to make the price drop in USA and Japan!? WHAT ABOUT EUROPE!?!?!?!?!?!1111

Like seriously... Life is sometimes not fair >___<

Back