(1) Ninfia's English Name: Sylveon [2/14]

Paddy185 said:
signofzeta said:
This is what they need to do to the types.

Bug, Grass, Ground, Rock, Steel should be all combined into the Earth type.

Electric and Fire should be combined into the Fire type

Flying becomes Wind type

Ice and Water combine into the Water type

Psychic and Fighting becomes Heart type

Dragon is removed and split into the 5 aforementioned types

Poison, Dark, and Ghost are uncool, so they are removed. Normal is too normal, so that is removed.

So when these 5 types' power is combined, the power is yours.

Why don't Poison, Dark and Ghost just go combine into a type? Also, Normal is supposed to be for Pokemon who don't fit into any other type, that's why it's there. Would you give any other type to Patrat? It could just be renamed to 'Typeless' or something along those lines, that shows it has no elemental association?

Because death, evil, and pollution are not good for the children, and kids don't like plain things.

Haven't you heard of the phrase "We are going to take pollution down to zero"?

PellOfTheTundra said:
>is game design student
>knows it takes much longer than a couple of days.

You people always simplify our job >.<

You kind of exaggerate ;P You know, I'm a bit in computer science, too, and if they implemented it smart (which you shouldn't doubt after nearly twenty years of Pokémon games and improvement), adding a new type isn't that much of a mess. To design it a way that it balance things out is a piece of work, yeah, but you seem to underestimate how long they are working on a game. It's not like they would start NOW to invent a new type. Such a move would be planned long before and well thought out.
The arguments that there will NEVER be a new type are all kind of ... not well thought out. Like "It would be work for GF.", but, you know, that's what they're paid for. They WORK. ;D
But, like I said many times, I don't think they will introduce a new type now... I would like it, though. I guess, someday, they will... ^^ And if they do, it will be a type noone of us thought off!

OT: Your job? That sounds like you weren't a student, but would actually work %D

Re: RE: (1) Ninfia's English Name: Sylveon [2/14]

shitzon said:
PellOfTheTundra said:
>is game design student
>knows it takes much longer than a couple of days.

You people always simplify our job >.<

You kind of exaggerate ;P You know, I'm a bit in computer science, too, and if they implemented it smart (which you shouldn't doubt after nearly twenty years of Pokémon games and improvement), adding a new type isn't that much of a mess. To design it a way that it balance things out is a piece of work, yeah, but you seem to underestimate how long they are working on a game. It's not like they would start NOW to invent a new type. Such a move would be planned long before and well thought out.
The arguments that there will NEVER be a new type are all kind of ... not well thought out. Like "It would be work for GF.", but, you know, that's what they're paid for. They WORK. ;D
But, like I said many times, I don't think they will introduce a new type now... I would like it, though. I guess, someday, they will... ^^ And if they do, it will be a type noone of us thought off!

OT: Your job? That sounds like you weren't a student, but would actually work %D

Yes. My job. Our major-specific classes force us to work with others to design different types of games as well as code, test, and... BALANCE.

My science, though. RPGs take forever.

Unless they have actually been planning this since the beginning (which I doubt), the process isn't that easy, and requires a small team to work for quite a long time on retyping and type matchups, as well as reasoning for retyping.

Now, I am not saying they will never add any more types. I cannot predict that. However, with them setting a date that is THIS SOON for themselves, it seems extremely unlikely that they will attempt to add a new type. You can never predict how testing will go. Setting ANY date is pretty difficult when adding something like a new type, because you have to test and rebalance an entirely new group of characters.

Like I said, it is possible, but EXTREMELY unlikely. If, however, they push that date back... Expect unimaginable things.

signofzeta said:
Paddy185 said:
Why don't Poison, Dark and Ghost just go combine into a type? Also, Normal is supposed to be for Pokemon who don't fit into any other type, that's why it's there. Would you give any other type to Patrat? It could just be renamed to 'Typeless' or something along those lines, that shows it has no elemental association?

Because death, evil, and pollution are not good for the children, and kids don't like plain things.

Ok, if you're gonna take those types out, what happens to Gengar? Drapion? Spiritomb? I'm pretty sure none of those fit into the types you mentioned in your first post.

Also, I don't really think Ghost types inherently say they are dead beings in their Pokedex entries; think of them as more supernatural/spiritual beings. I think some of the closest things to death they mention are: stuff about stealing souls - Chandelure etc, but only in the 'Dex entries (and who reads those anyway?), and on some tv shows/films they have ghosts (see: things like Scooby Doo).

Dark types tend to be more associated with sneaky or brutal attacks/literal darkness rather than evil, see two examples: Liepard/Purrloin and Hydreigon; Liepard sneaks around, is said to vanish/reappear, and its pre-evolution (Purrloin) steals from trainers by putting on a cute act and taking their belongings whilst their (the trainers) guard is down.
Hydreigon on the other hand is said to be a brutal Pokemon who attacks without thinking towards anything.
And in children's tv there are the 'bad guys' alot; tv shows/films aimed at them have some kind of antagonist. Heck, as a child I remember watching a thing on tv/video where the main antagonist was a dog who stole sheep with the intention of turning them into dog food, and almost killed a couple of humans with said sheep, totally remorselessly. And this was aimed at a young-ish audience. Pokemon is tame by that standard.

Poison types don't inherently talk about pollution (correct if I'm wrong), even though some do imply that pollution caused them (Grimer, Trubbish), however I don't think a child playing Pokemon would be able to note that pollution caused it. It's rather the presence of venom, or having sludge/poisonous gases (see: all Bug/Poison types, Grimer, Trubbish, Gulpin, Koffing). Grass/Poison types are simply poisonous plants, and I'm pretty sure that children would probably know about things such as poisonous mushrooms.

About Normal types: I see where you're coming from about kids not liking normal things, but when you have 650+ Pokemon in a game there will be some that simply do not fit into any other type. Ok, all the Normal/Flying types could be retconned to the Wind type you had mentioned, but the whole thing about types with Pokemon is that they are different elements. The Normal type is simply a lack of elemental presence. A lot of Normal types can learn similar moves - a lot of those moves being ones of different elements. They can use attacks that are obviously something completely unrelated to their species (see: Blissey using Flamethrower). However they aren't that element at all. (again: Blissey can use Flamethrower. It clearly has no association with the Fire type except using Flamthrower/Fire Blast). They are meant to be mixed bags of Pokemon that can use many different attacks.

Also popped up after mentioning the Wind-type in the above paragraph: The Flying type is more to do with the fact that they can fly. The closest things we have to 'Wind' types are Tornadus, and.... something else maybe. It's important to realise that Flying=air, flight, wind, sky, those sorts of things in general.

Paddy185 said:
signofzeta said:

Ok, if you're gonna take those types out, what happens to Gengar? Drapion? Spiritomb? I'm pretty sure none of those fit into the types you mentioned in your first post.

Also, I don't really think Ghost types inherently say they are dead beings in their Pokedex entries; think of them as more supernatural/spiritual beings. I think some of the closest things to death they mention are: stuff about stealing souls - Chandelure etc, but only in the 'Dex entries (and who reads those anyway?), and on some tv shows/films they have ghosts (see: things like Scooby Doo).

Dark types tend to be more associated with sneaky or brutal attacks/literal darkness rather than evil, see two examples: Liepard/Purrloin and Hydreigon; Liepard sneaks around, is said to vanish/reappear, and its pre-evolution (Purrloin) steals from trainers by putting on a cute act and taking their belongings whilst their (the trainers) guard is down.
Hydreigon on the other hand is said to be a brutal Pokemon who attacks without thinking towards anything.
And in children's tv there are the 'bad guys' alot; tv shows/films aimed at them have some kind of antagonist. Heck, as a child I remember watching a thing on tv/video where the main antagonist was a dog who stole sheep with the intention of turning them into dog food, and almost killed a couple of humans with said sheep, totally remorselessly. And this was aimed at a young-ish audience. Pokemon is tame by that standard.

Poison types don't inherently talk about pollution (correct if I'm wrong), even though some do imply that pollution caused them (Grimer, Trubbish), however I don't think a child playing Pokemon would be able to note that pollution caused it. It's rather the presence of venom, or having sludge/poisonous gases (see: all Bug/Poison types, Grimer, Trubbish, Gulpin, Koffing). Grass/Poison types are simply poisonous plants, and I'm pretty sure that children would probably know about things such as poisonous mushrooms.

About Normal types: I see where you're coming from about kids not liking normal things, but when you have 650+ Pokemon in a game there will be some that simply do not fit into any other type. Ok, all the Normal/Flying types could be retconned to the Wind type you had mentioned, but the whole thing about types with Pokemon is that they are different elements. The Normal type is simply a lack of elemental presence. A lot of Normal types can learn similar moves - a lot of those moves being ones of different elements. They can use attacks that are obviously something completely unrelated to their species (see: Blissey using Flamethrower). However they aren't that element at all. (again: Blissey can use Flamethrower. It clearly has no association with the Fire type except using Flamthrower/Fire Blast). They are meant to be mixed bags of Pokemon that can use many different attacks.

Also popped up after mentioning the Wind-type in the above paragraph: The Flying type is more to do with the fact that they can fly. The closest things we have to 'Wind' types are Tornadus, and.... something else maybe. It's important to realise that Flying=air, flight, wind, sky, those sorts of things in general.

Still not getting that this was a reference, even after I posted a video explaining it. I am sadface.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2

Paddy185 said:
signofzeta said:

It's a joke, he was making a reference to Captain Planet.

Paddy185 said:
I tried getting onto the vid but the link wasn't working. Knowing me it's just me being a ditz as usual.

It's a Captain Planet reference.

Yeah, sorry, like I said, Im really not game design savvy. It was just my opinion, and I never thought game designing was easy at all. I was referring to just the whole planning stage of a new type with pencil and paper though, not the actual development in the program itself. Im sure this game has been in production for a while though, maybe even before BW2. Thats why I strongly believe that a new type is definitely more than possible right now, what with a new generation game, and the first on a 3DS at that, they would want to have as many "wow factors" as possible so they probably took their time with this one.
Not only that, but don't they have to completely remake everything and pretty much start from scratch anyway? Again, just me being a game development know-nothing, but I would think that since its on an entirely new system, game format, platform, new everything pretty much, I don't see how adding in a single extra type would be too much extra work when you already have 18 to add anyway. I know you said it takes a lot of time to add in one little thing, and im not trying to offend anyone who works hard on this sort of thing.
As for retyping the Pokemon.. well, I would imagine they wouldn't do too many. The only Pokemon they converted back in gen 2 was Magnemite and they tacked on Steel to it. I'd imagine they would just pick out a couple (maybe 4 or less) on average from every gen, or just do the Pokemon that would be an obvious Light type like Ampharos.. or if its the other speculated Fairy type (which I don't care all too much for) then Clefairy. They would just tack on Light/Fairy type and then the majority of them would all be dual types except for maybe one or two in the current gen.

PellOfTheTundra said:
Paddy185 said:
I tried getting onto the vid but the link wasn't working. Knowing me it's just me being a ditz as usual.

It would be a good thing to him, because Captain Planet was a very hated series anyway, except for the theme song. That's pretty much the only good thing about it.

signofzeta said:
PellOfTheTundra said:

It would be a good thing to him, because Captain Planet was a very hated series anyway, except for the theme song. That's pretty much the only good thing about it.

What are you talking about? The only bad thing about the show was the environmental message in every episode and that Captain Planet looked a little... Flaming.

PellOfTheTundra said:
signofzeta said:

What are you talking about? The only bad thing about the show was the environmental message in every episode and that Captain Planet looked a little... Flaming.

whatever, anyway,

[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1QYQpHdzpw[/video]

And you see why Poison and Dark should be removed? Because looting and polluting is not the way.

Did I mention that the main male character's name in Pokemon X and Y is Wheeler? Because it is awesome to use a last name as a first name.

Oh yeah, the professor in the hometown has a mullet, because mullets are awesome.

Ok, back to the topic at hand,
I know that we all want to speculate on Sylveon's type, but anything could happen at this point. Sylveon could be normal for all I care, or they branch off the "girly" looking pokemon as a type. Whatever it is, I will definitely take it on, so long as they don't make another type in the TCG. The TCG should only stick with 8 energy types, and not any more. If they want a 9th one, they must remove an existing one to go back to 8.

It's just like pojo's forums, where they make a topic that is way too early, and there is not really any news, and all that happens in that thread is some off topic chatter.

Calling it now, Sylveon, Chansey, Blissey, Clefairy, Clefable, Skitty, and other girly looking pokemon, belong to the new heart type, unrelated to my other post that is trying to make a reference to a show I watched in grade school. Because it is all about friendship, caring, kindness, and unity... if you can get where those came from.

Yeah, I'll be excited no matter what Sylveons type is. Slightly disappointed maybe, but fine nonetheless. I was hoping for a more flyable Flying type and a more natural Normal type, if you know what I mean. But its not like I'll be raging at the screen or throwing a fit over it. But thats pretty much why im hoping for a new type, that and just to make things interesting.

As for the TCG, yeah, I wouldn't worry. Say it was Light, it would more than likely just go under Electric. If it was Fairy, probably Colorless, etc. After all, if Ground and Rock are considered Fighting...

I have a feeling it's just going to be some boring type and we're all going to go along just as we do now. Nothing game-changing;

Zielo said:
I'd imagine they would just pick out a couple (maybe 4 or less) on average from every gen, or just do the Pokemon that would be an obvious Light type like Ampharos..

Explain to me what happens to Lanturn in that case any why. lol

Mitja said:
Zielo said:
I'd imagine they would just pick out a couple (maybe 4 or less) on average from every gen, or just do the Pokemon that would be an obvious Light type like Ampharos..

I dont see them ever completely altering a Pokemons typing aside from adding an extra type on. Lantern will more than likely remain a Water/Electric just as much as Celebi would more than likely remain a Psychic/Grass as opposed to Fairy. There are tons of Pokemon that look like they would be a different type, take Lucario or Lugia for example.

Not all obvious ones would have to be changed (like Lanturn), they would probably throw in one or two wtfs in there. Imagine something random like a Light type Marowak or a Fairy type Hariyama. xD

Zielo said:
Mitja said:

I dont see them ever completely altering a Pokemons typing aside from adding an extra type on. Lantern will more than likely remain a Water/Electric just as much as Celebi would more than likely remain a Psychic/Grass as opposed to Fairy. There are tons of Pokemon that look like they would be a different type, take Lucario or Lugia for example.

Not all obvious ones would have to be changed (like Lanturn), they would probably throw in one or two wtfs in there. Imagine something random like a Light type Marowak or a Fairy type Hariyama. xD

That would be a mess.. The current types look proper and justified right now to me e_e
If they added types they'd change whats necessary accordingly, not hand them out randomly, this ain't the TCG.

What other type would you have in mind for Lucario? Psychic?

And Lugia looks perfectly fine for Psy/Flying o_o

A bit off topic but can you guys imagine what pokemon could take the title of #666

I hope it's the evolution of HOUNDOOM!!! ohh plz plz plz that number goes to houndoom's evolution XD

godzilla41 said:
A bit off topic but can you guys imagine what pokemon could take the title of #666

I hope it's the evolution of HOUNDOOM!!! ohh plz plz plz that number goes to houndoom's evolution XD

oooh oooh, the evolution of HOUNDOOM!!! should be a 2 legged pokemon that has bat wings, the same dog like head with horns, and the same tail.

godzilla41 said:

Surely not.

My guess is a new Bug line....but what does this have to do with Sylveons name?

Back