(1) ‘Pokemon Direct’ Tomorrow Morning! [9/3]

Water Pokémon Master said:
itsJoe said:
It will probably be a final core game mechanic that is exclusive to Pokémon X & Y, there is one final tab on the official website that is currently still labelled "???"

Dual-type moves?

In my opinion that would put too much complexity in a young child based game :/

[10:54] <DNA> "DNA, stay up with us and watch the leaks!" "No, I need sleep."
[10:55] <@Flaming_Wuzzle> HYPE > SLEEP
[10:55] <DNA> NO
[10:56] <DNA> PULL THE BRAKES ON THE HYPE TRAIN
[10:56] <@Flaming_Wuzzle> THIS TRAIN HAS NO BRAKES
[10:56] <DNA> NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Wake me up when September ends the summary is posted.

Mitja said:
If I could wish for something it'd be

"Secondary types will only affect the Pokemon half as much as their primary type. This includes weaknesses/resistances and STAB. Meaning Gallade will be less weak to Flying than Medicham for example, due to their Fighting type being less/more prominent, but the other way around for their Ghost weakness etc... This also brings down quadruple weaknesses to 3x damage so they are not too severe..."

I hope that is it as well. It just makes sense. Secondary types currently have no actual affect on a pokemon, something I always wondered about.

CMP said:
I don't know why so many people think the starter evolutions will be revealed tomorrow; to the best of my knowledge, any starter evolutions we knew prior to release date (sans Blaziken, but that's a special case) were the result of leaks.

Servine, Pignite and Dewott were revealed in the last Corocoro before Black and White came out.Of course they had been leaked prior to this, but still.

I am expecting a plethora of new info. Kinda like the last big trailer before a new movie comes out. After this there will been minor new info popping up in advertising and such, but as far as big news this it the last chance to showcase it.

I'll be setting my alarm clock for sure.

Pokewiz1999 said:
Dual-type moves?

I highly doubt that.

Adds more thought to it. I hope it's dual-type moves. I wanna see that.

TokenDuelist said:
Pokewiz1999 said:

I highly doubt that.

Adds more thought to it. I hope it's dual-type moves. I wanna see that.

I don't really want it since I usually don't like to think :p

Rozureido said:
CMP said:
I don't know why so many people think the starter evolutions will be revealed tomorrow; to the best of my knowledge, any starter evolutions we knew prior to release date (sans Blaziken, but that's a special case) were the result of leaks.

Servine, Pignite and Dewott were revealed in the last Corocoro before Black and White came out.Of course they had been leaked prior to this, but still.

I am expecting a plethora of new info. Kinda like the last big trailer before a new movie comes out. After this there will been minor new info popping up in advertising and such, but as far as big news this it the last chance to showcase it.

I'll be setting my alarm clock for sure.

They were released in the issue the same month BW came out (just about a week prior to release). Keeping with this trend, the starters would be revealed in next month's issue, not this month's.

Additionally, the issue that leaks in one month is the following month's issue...so last gen's starter evo reveal was really a part of the October 2010 issue (the month after release).

Bottom line: I really don't think the starter evos will be revealed. I could be wrong (and it'd be awesome if I was), but it doesn't seem very likely.

Well, either way I'll be setting my alarm and getting up extra early to ensure I don't miss this event!

Bolt the Cat said:
ECHOxLegend said:
NoA is in freaking Washington and not only did I not get to go to pax in my hometown and play the pokemon demo, we dont get any mall events in my own town now I got to get up at 4AM to watch pokemon, whats with all the eastern favoritism? Althuogh I guess I prefer it to midnight or something.

You've got it backwards. NoA is in the West Coast (Seattle IIRC), and there's been more west coast favoritism lately with no one on the East Coast getting a mall event for some stupid reason. The times happen to be more reasonable for the East Coast as a result of time zones, Pacific Time is always 3 hours behind Eastern Time, so in order for the broadcast to be simultaneous the Pacific Time broadcast must be 3 hours earlier in the day. That being said, I do have to wonder why this one is 3 hours earlier than it normally is for everyone, normally it's 7 am Pacific, 10 am Eastern, but they pushed it back 3 hours earlier for some reason.

"4:00 AM PDT / 7 AM EDT / 8 PM JST" Looks like that is when it is being announced in Japan.

I'm excited to see more news regarding the upcoming games! They might reveal more Mega Pokémon, but we could also see complete new Pokémon.

itsJoe said:
It will probably be a final core game mechanic that is exclusive to Pokémon X & Y, there is one final tab on the official website that is currently still labelled "???"

Dual-type moves?

Dual type moves would be great! How would they affect Pokémon that are immune to one type but not the other, though? Would they do half the damage (only for the half that regularly effects it)? The damage could be calculated separately by dividing the base attack in half and practically attacking twice but as one turn. They could go many ways with a system like this; having primary types account for more damage than the secondary type of the attack.

BaddyGames said:
Hoping they reveal new evolutions of old Pokémon or baby Pokémon.

I agree. We've seen many new Pokémon, but so far only a new evolution for Eevee (except Mega Evolutions). I would like to see which of the older Pokémon get new regular evolutions.

This is perfect. When X&Y were announced earlier this year, I would get up for school at 6 am, when the Direct started. This school year the schedule changed so I now get up at 7 am, when the Direct will start.

I'm incredibly excited and can't wait to see what news they have to offer! :D

If it does indeed have something to do with dual-type moves, I would assume you get to choose which type you want it to be. i.e. Electrweb can be used as an Electric move OR a Bug move. That way it has more coverage. They could do this for a handful of moves. Muddy Water (Water/Ground), the new move that Clauncher has (Water/Electric), and Hurricane (Water/Flying)

If it isn't about the possible dual-type moves, I'll assume the type chart will be the main announcement.

Drohn said:
Dual type moves would be great! How would they affect Pokémon that are immune to one type but not the other, though? Would they do half the damage (only for the half that regularly effects it)? The damage could be calculated separately by dividing the base attack in half and practically attacking twice but as one turn. They could go many ways with a system like this; having primary types account for more damage than the secondary type of the attack.

If they go by how dual type Pokemon currently work (which I doubt because that would be too broken with x8 or x16 weaknesses), then any immunity will cause the entire attack to fail (example: a Rock/Ground type attack would do 0 damage against any Flying or dual Flying type).

Come to think of it, if they do both dual type moves and dual type Pokemon damage calculation differently than they would now, that alone could be pretty revolutionary.

I know there's already demos at several locations, but what if an eshop demo will be part of the Pokemon Direct, like at the end they could be like, "you could get a taste of our new game right now from the eshop" or something like that.

Ack... I kind of hope the starter evolutions aren't reviled tomorrow, that would mean the Dream It and Design It contest would end immediately and I'd be out of time to get more votes. :x

This excites me because what the heck is big enough news to warrant another Pokemon-specific direct rather than leaving it to CoroCoro?

I still think that dual type moves would be far too confusing for most children to handle. They're obviously hoping to get a lot of sales from the kiddies with their release of the 2DS on the same day, so I think they'll try to keep it appealing to them. However, A pokemon's dual typing having an added affect to it such as taking damage from super effective attacks would be a much needed and far simpler update.

If dual type moves turn out to be real, they'll probably be as much "dual" as Psy-shock is special and physical.

In other words, Earth Power doing Fire-type damage etc.

If it was actually 50/50 each type, its still not "too confusing".
Every now and then I see people use Ground moves on Galvantulas and Fire moves on Cradily etc, hoping for SE damage, so its not like people seem to get it anyway, at least from my perspective LOOOL.

What it would be is, depending on how its implemented:
-useless in general and broken in very very specific cases
-noob friendly, providing wider type coverage with no real benefit.

Neither case really adds anything besides gimmick.. which is why I hope its not the case.

Back