“Play! Pokemon Prize Pack Series Three” Features Galaxy Holos, Including Energy!

Why does this keep getting reported as if there's some special affiliation with this paper and WOTC? The holofoil they used for Base Set, Jungle, and Fossil (and Legendary Collection) was "their own" holofoil and it looks pretty lame. The holofoil they used for Base Set 2 and Rocket-on is closer, or presumably identical, to the holofoil paper Japan had been using since their First Expansion Pack in 1996.

By looks, the article seems to be talking about the Japan-originating type of foil, nothing short of insider knowledge would point towards the assumption this holofoil is proprietary to WOTC.
It's not proprietary. Neither company owns any of the holofoil they've used. The holofoil is purchased from a company and, in fact, you can buy basically all of them if you wanted

Obligatory cosmos vs galaxy foil distinction
I have been aware of this distinction for a while, but I realized I don't know the exact details of it. I've tried finding an explanation, and this has been the best I could find.
There's a picture 3 minutes in of cosmos and galaxy variants of a single Black and White era promo, Drifblim DRX's promotional variant. I couldn't help but notice how muted the foil pattern looks compared to most of the promos above, and I suspect it has something to do with the artwork. I notice that shades of grey like those on the background of Yveltal SHL will swallow up almost any holofoil, but this isn't a grey background. Moreover, most of the cosmos and/or galaxy holos I own from the Black & White and XY eras seem to have muted foil patterns, and I haven't noticed any obvious pattern in art hues. I was wondering if you have a better rule-of-thumb for figuring out how well a card's art will accent the holofoil pattern. (Detail of the art? Certain hues? Varying from set to set within the same style of holofoil paper? Etc.?) I would be grateful if you could share any tips for picking out the holo rares that will shine the most.

Back