Discussion What do You Guys do for Playmats? And is There a Thing as Having Too Many?

TuxedoBlack

Old School Player
Interestingly enough, I now have about 8-10 brand new playmats I've collected over the years, and these are just stored in a cabinet. I do NOT use any of them, because I rather use my simple, all-black mat for game play. I find that the simple, 1-color mats are more helpful to me to clearly see the cards I play.

FlashRayquaza

Rayquaza Fan
I actually don't think you can have too many playmats. If I'd have two playmats with same artwork, I'd sell one of them. I don't own many playmats as I'm quite new to competitive TCG. Here is my playmat "history":
I got my first playmat with Ho Oh when I was the only Senior at a League Cup. Later, I traded it for a Regionals Necrozma playmat and some other cards.
After that, I got two Kartana mats at a Regionals, one of them being a Top 8 mat. I sold the "regular" one for around 50$.
Sadly, I lost all playmats when I came back from a League. (I assume they're not stolen because my $200 deck was in the same bag, and it didn't disappear).
Then, I ordered a custom playmat just to have one. Recently, I got a DM Necrozma playmat and I won a Leafeon playmat, which is my favourite.

PokeMedic

Don't talk to me or my Pokemon ever again
Articles Staff
I've been using the same Great Ball play mat since it was released. Haven't had or used anything since for any other game.

if you were looking to find one of those stories you're out of luck.

Oh, I've got plenty of them. A good portion of them are about judges from years ago, but I use profanity instead of buzzwords to describe them. It wasn't other competitive players that became a killjoy for me, it was some of my peers. And yeah, Yu-gi-oh is a diseased game.

gumball51321

*thumbs up*
I've been using the same Great Ball play mat since it was released. Haven't had or used anything since for any other game.

Oh, I've got plenty of them. A good portion of them are about judges from years ago, but I use profanity instead of buzzwords to describe them. It wasn't other competitive players that became a killjoy for me, it was some of my peers. And yeah, Yu-gi-oh is a diseased game.
I was leaving a league cup a few weeks ago as a YGO tourney had just started, and they hotboxed the store so bad, I went back where I was before for a few minutes.

Serperior

~
Advanced Member
I've got way too many now, ever since they started handing em out like Halloween candy at Regionals. Some of the artworks are truly dope, like the Tapu Fini one, but the Necrozma and the Buzzwole didn't quite do it for me.

I generally take my YGO mat to Pokémon tournaments as a conversation starter haha.

KrakenCove

Aspiring Trainer
The best system I have seen was what my local cardshop does with the mats they are selling. I am not sure where they got them - but they have giant toploaders that fit the playmats perfectly! This protects them and allows you to store them flat instead of rolled (which keeps them from curling when you use them!) That being said - I have no idea where they get them or how cost effective they are . . .

THB

Well?
I only have one mat that I use. I use to have two mats, but gave one to friend that needed a mat. So I guess I am a one mat type of guy.