Discussion What do You Guys do for Playmats? And is There a Thing as Having Too Many?

Seastrome

Aspiring Trainer
For me, I am a sucker for the cool artwork on a lot of the playmats and so I often buy quite a bit of them. I have no shame in saying so but am curious how everyone else approaches playmats and what they do with them. (Like store them, display them, etc.)

My issue is not having a good way to store them all in a good way. Was thinking rubber bands to keep each one rolled up and stored in a container.

gumball51321

*thumbs up*
I don't care about my mats too much, but that being said, I have waaay too many.
After a certain point, I can see myself selling a whole set of a seasons champion mats.

Articuno_Aria

Articuno is UNO for a reason
I used one playmat as a giant mouse pad on my desk lol. The others I have rolled on top of one of my card boxes, only one of those are in a tube. The mat I carry in my backpack is also in a tube

Tapu Lele

Inflated and Overstocked
I get a tube used for wrapping paper and just stick it in there. Poster tubes also work

Lord Goomy

Got Goomies?
I have a Mega Metagross and a Kartana regional championship mat.
Just two. I'm not big on playmats, I have no interest in buying them; but when one comes around I won't shy away from it.

Perfect_Shot

Armored Core>Elden Ring
Playmats are great, up until you're at a Regionals and you play next to a guy who has a mat that takes up most of your spot on the table, and he insist for you to not put your cards on it.

Good times.

Gengar master

shiny Pokémon bait
Advanced Member
I have around 20 mats. I lay them out flat on my dresser. I also enjoy the artwork on them and it's cool to have a collection of mats to remind me of the regionals I went to (at least when they still had the event name)
Best place to buy them from?

At regionals they usually give out a mat. You can also buy custom made mats on eBay, as well as mats from past events.

crystal_pidgeot

Bird Trainer *Vaporeon on PokeGym*
I generally use custom drawn mats and because of that, I don't have too many. Takes hours to draw them.

GymLdrJesse

Twitter/X @JessePrker
Advanced Member
I like to switch between my playmats depending on what deck/card sleeves im using. because im OCD and everything MUST match.
Also if i just got a mat from a regional i use that for a couple weeks.

Eltyr

Aspiring Trainer
I use the same STAFF playmat i got during Turin SPE because I still haven't got 1st place in any cup and every time I have the money to buy one I want I always think I really need that 30 euros full art to replace my regular card.

gumball51321

*thumbs up*
I use the same STAFF playmat i got during Turin SPE because I still haven't got 1st place in any cup and every time I have the money to buy one I want I always think I really need that 30 euros full art to replace my regular card.
Amen brother.

Perfect_Shot

Armored Core>Elden Ring
Get on with the story.

For the record, it isn't about Pokemon; this was 6 or 7 years ago back when I was still playing Yugioh but on the verge of quitting (wasn't fun/people weren't fun), and honestly the story isn't that exciting. It was at a point where I was seeing and playing against too many toxic people to care to continue with it, and the event (Toronto Regionals or YCS or whatever it was called) ended up being my last since nothing was different.

Basically I was sitting next to another one of those people who seems to not care about having fun or at least being considerate of the people around him, and after he unfolded his mat and put his deckboxes and stuff on the side (which was blocking enough of my play area that there was no way I could make use of much of the field) I asked him to put some of his clutter into his backpack and he refused. I called the judge to get him to clear his play area so that I had enough room, and he did.

Luckily, it's been hard to find difficult people since coming over to Pokemon, so if you were looking to find one of those stories you're out of luck.