• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard Greninja BREAK (BKT-BUS)

With regards to the Giratina issue, is there anything we can use to turn on Talonflame Break's attack? Then we just OHKO it.

On the low tech end...I don't know...Rainbow Energy?

Not saying it's a great solution, but it could work. Also gives us a Pokémon that retreats for free and hits for 150 and, if I understand correctly, since Rainbow Energy counts as colorless energy, it isn't discarded when you use the attack.
Rainbow energy is treated as all energy types, so it still has to be discarded after using Flare Blitz.

Lillie is so underrated. Glad to see it in a list, and I might just tech it in my Volcanion deck.
It's an amazing card when Brigette doesn't help your deck

Also, Changelog:
-4 Talonflame
-1 Talonflame BREAK
-2 Rare Candy
+2 Float stone
+2 Alolan Grimer
+2 Alolan Muk
+1 Tapu Lele GX

Surely Greninja's Shadow Stitching makes Alolan Muk unecessary? I may be being stupid, but turning off Giratina makes your abilities work but not theirs, doesn't it?

Surely Greninja's Shadow Stitching makes Alolan Muk unecessary? I may be being stupid, but turning off Giratina makes your abilities work but not theirs, doesn't it?
ShadowStitching only turns it off for their turning meaning you can''t Shuriken

Just wanted to run my thoughts by you on this deck:
  • Drop the Enhanced Hammer, just seems like a card you put in because you had the space.
  • Would definitely drop 1 Professor Kukui, maybe even 2 because while the damage is nice you are only drawing 2 cards. I would rather use an N or Sycamore any day as my supporter for that turn. If you drop 2 Kukui add 1 N, the best draw support there is hands down.
  • Drop 1 Fisherman, I know you may be worried about not having energies in hand and losing them all to the discard. Trust me, you simply won't use 2 Fisherman in a game, plus Super Rod is great for putting energies back into the deck along with Pokémon.
  • Drop 1 Float Stone, because you don't want to draw these when you have Greninja down. Plus, even if they do Guzma your Alolan Muk in it probably wasn't gonna survive anyways with only 120 health, so I would rely on Rescue Stretcher and Super Rod to bring them back.
  • Either drop 2 Water Energy, or drop 3 Water Energy and add 1 Splash Energy. To think you have this many energies, plus 2 Fisherman is a little ridiculous compared to every other Greninja Deck.
  • Add 2 Rescue Stretcher, this card is vital to the success of Greninja. Having the ability to bring Pokémon back into your hand means the world for Greninja. If you have to Sycamore away Greninja or Greninja BREAK early-game this can bring them back whenever. Plus, it allows you to continuously bring the entire line back, in order to force your opponent to beat 6 Greninja's to truly win the game.
  • Add 3 Evosoda, because you need these search cards otherwise you are screwed. In order to get more than one Greninja BREAK out by turn 4 you are gonna need a lot of search power, so having these will work miracles. Will also help you evolve your Alolan Grimer as well.
  • Definitely add 1 Super Rod, this will help to replace the 2nd Fisherman that got dropped earlier. Super Rod's ability to bring back energies and Pokémon will come in handy late-game and early-game if you have to discard.
This is what your deck list should look like after the suggestions, put the changes in bold lettering.

Pokémon- 19

2 Alolan Grimer
2 Alolan Muk
3 Froakie
4 Frogadier
4 Greninja
3 Greninja BREAK
1 Tapu Lele-GX

Trainers- 31

2 Field Blower
3 Choice Band
1 Fisherman
3 Guzma
2 Max Potion
4 N
1 Lillie
4 Sycamore
1 Float Stone
4 Ultra Ball
3 Evosoda
2 Rescue Stretcher
1 Super Rod

Energies- 10

8 Water Energy

2 Splash Energy

Tried not to change your deck up too much, so I ended up leaving the core Pokémon and strategy there. Merely made the cards a little more consistent with competitive and successful Greninja Decks, while keeping in mind this deck is post-rotation. Good luck!

Last edited:
Wouldn't Wally be better than Evosoda?

Wally is a powerful card, but it's also a dead card after your first turn. It simply isn't worth running, when after the first turn you will need to start evolving multiple Greninja's or Greninja BREAK's all in one turn. Therefore, making it a waste of a supporter compared to Sycamore or N.

Last edited:
Wally is a powerful card, but it's also a dead card after your first turn. It simply isn't worth running, when after the first turn you will need to start evolving multiple Greninja's or Greninja BREAK's all in one turn. Therefore, making it a waste of a supporter compared to Sycamore or N.
You can use it to evolve from Greninja straight to BREAK

Evo-soda also lets you evolve to BREAK. The point is Wally gets to bypass the "can't evolve on the turn you put a pokemon down" but at the cost of being a supporter which is not worth it

Why not a mix?

T1 Froakie -> T2 Duplicates + Evosoda + Wally = T3 Giant Water Shuriken.

That said, not feeling the mix sans Talonflame...Rainbow/Burning Energy allows for faster, more consistent answer.

What makes this deck great is the explosive chaining and the fact that we never hand over 2 prizes. Losing focus of that seems wrong, especially for a bogeyman that will only be an issue if this deck has an oppressive meta share.

Why not a mix?

T1 Froakie -> T2 Duplicates + Evosoda + Wally = T3 Giant Water Shuriken.

That said, not feeling the mix sans Talonflame...Rainbow/Burning Energy allows for faster, more consistent answer.

What makes this deck great is the explosive chaining and the fact that we never hand over 2 prizes. Losing focus of that seems wrong, especially for a bogeyman that will only be an issue if this deck has an oppressive meta share.
In order to ensure you can successfully pull this off, it would require you to run more than one Wally. Which is something you definitely don't want to do in a Greninja deck that already runs a tight list.

Last edited:
Trully, the only way to work around promo Giratina is Alolan Muk. I fear that you're going to open with alolan grimer from time to time and getting it out of there to do water duplicates is going to be hard unless you:
  • Play skyla to use in conjunction with Tapu Lele to get a float stone
  • Play 3 or 4 float stones
I would probably choose the second option because Alolan Muk is just a big fat target for Guzma to stall in the active.

The thing is, if you're playing promo giratina you should know alolan muk is going to screw you over and therefore proceed to kill every single one that tries to get on the field. Is playing 2-2 alolan muk and 4 float stones worth it...? just to counter promo giratina...?

Trully, the only way to work around promo Giratina is Alolan Muk. I fear that you're going to open with alolan grimer from time to time and getting it out of there to do water duplicates is going to be hard unless you:
  • Play skyla to use in conjunction with Tapu Lele to get a float stone
  • Play 3 or 4 float stones
I would probably choose the second option because Alolan Muk is just a big fat target for Guzma to stall in the active.

The thing is, if you're playing promo giratina you should know alolan muk is going to screw you over and therefore proceed to kill every single one that tries to get on the field. Is playing 2-2 alolan muk and 4 float stones worth it...? just to counter promo giratina...?
Running a 2-2 Alolan Muk line and 4 Float stones is definitely not worth it just to counter Giratina Promo. Honestly, if you ran even 2 cards in your deck which only serve the purpose of countering Giratina I would call it a waste. Greninja has a tight deck list, so trying to make room for so many cards is nearly impossible without destroying its core mechanics. Also keep in mind, Giratina isn't gonna show up very often except maybe in Volcanion decks, because it's only value is against Greninja and Zoroark nothing else.

Exactly.

Whether you go with Staryu-Starmie or Talonflame, your deck should be about one thing, and one thing only. Accelerating to multiple Greninja Breaks in play as quickly as possible. If you dilute the deck with too many side options, it won't work.

The other strength of this deck is that it runs neither EXs nor GXs. The benefit of this is that your opponent must score 6 KOs or completely boardwipe you to win, whereas you can get there in 3 KOs.

So what about Giratina?

Unless this deck, or another Break-ability-based deck, becomes an oppressive presence in the meta, I honestly doubt it will see play at all. Even if it does, stockpile energy on a single Greninja and Moonlight Slash it. Hit it with a Talonflame/other poke first if you have to.

Want something else? You could Tech in Alolan Vulpix instead, I guess, and use the Alolan Ninetales out of Burning Shadows. This let's you search up Froakie and Frogadier, plus you can evolve it into something that stonewalls GXs and EXs and 2HKOs Giratina. You lose a lot of versatility and speed from Talonflame, however.

The point is, once you start diluting the consistency and plugging in EXs/GXs, you're gutting everything that makes this deck work.

For comparison, here's the list I plan on starting the upcoming year with. Notice how it's on-point with executing the plan as efficiently as possible.

Greninja/Talonflame

Pokémon (18)
3× Greninja BREAK (BKP)
4× Greninja (BKP)
4× Frogadier (BKP)
3× Froakie (BKP)
4× Talonflame (STS)

Trainers (32)
4× Professor Sycamore (STS)
4× N (FAC)
4× Guzma (BUS)
2× Fisherman (BKT)

4× Ultra Ball (SUM)
3× Evosoda (GEN)
2× Rescue Stretcher (GRI)
1× Super Rod (BKT)
3× Max Potion (GRI)
2× Field Blower (GRI)
3× Choice Band (GRI)

Energies (10)
2× Splash Energy (BKP)
8× Water Energy (Basic)

Notice I'm not even trying to counter Giratina. I just don't think it's going to be an issue...at least not initially. If Greninja starts putting up FoGP-fueled Decidueye/Vespiquen numbers, maybe then, but that just means finding a way to consistently spike 130+ damage to a non-EX/GX, which isn't impossible.

Last edited:
this decklist is lit. i used it at one of my local league challenges and went 5-0. thanks!

Back